The Return of the Hartford Whalers

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
hubofhockey said:
This is great news. Toronto, like Boston, has been hoping to get an NHL franchise for decades!

--hub
Yeah, and what about Montreal?!?!? Hahaha what a joke. The man who wants hockey in Montreal says he's going to call them the "Canadiens" and win 24 championships. What a laugher!

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
This thursday is the annual "FANniversary" in Hartford. Larry Gottesdeiner, Howard Baldwin, Governor Rell, and the mayor are gonna be there and speak. Its possible that someone could say something. I am excited, I may be volunteering there. So it will be interesting to see history unfold firsthand......I hope.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
Panic at the Back said:
Where is that going to take place? I might have to make run downtown if that's the case.

I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) it is in the old mall part of the Civic Center.

it is supposed to have around 2000 people going. I am excited. My Whalers shirt is ready lol.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
Panic at the Back said:
I was at the new Five Guys in Avon and they had a kid wearing a Whaler sweatshirt, very nice looking, practically brand new.

Maybe he knows something ;)

drive down to CCSU, ask anyone wearing hockey stuff that dosent have Wolfpack stuff on, they will tell you whats up.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
Larry Gottesdeiner and Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez went to Minnesota today to speak with the Wild management.

They will be back for the FANniversary Thursday.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
I just see the dialogue:

Larry: So how did you get a new NHL team?

Wild guys: We built a new arena and the owners offered a lot of money to Bettman and his gang to get a franchise.

Larry: How much is a "lot of money"?

Wild: If you have to ask, you don't have it.

Perez: So how did you guys get your NHL team?

Wild guys: Didn't I just answer that? Build an arena, and bring a bag of cash to the NHL offices.

Perez: How much is a bag of cash?

Wild guys: What is up with this guy? Why is he sucking his thumb? We are out of here.

Larry: This is your office. You can't leave.

Wild guy: Okay, you guys leave.

Perez: Wait! This is your office, you can't leave!

GWhale*

LOL, but I think it's more on the lines on what it takes to run an NHL franchise and what kind of benefit St. Paul got from it...not on how the twin cities got a team back.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
GWhale said:
LOL, but I think it's more on the lines on what it takes to run an NHL franchise and what kind of benefit St. Paul got from it...not on how the twin cities got a team back.

Okay I'll try that one:

Larry: So what does it take to run an NHL team?

WIld man: Well it would serve you well to hire a great hockey guy, a Ron Francis comes to mind as your GM, and then hire a great business mind, someone like Panic at the back ;)

Mayor Perez: So what does it take to run an NHL team?

Wild man (looking at Perez with disdain): hire Ron Francis as your GM and PATB for your business side.

Larry: that's great. Ron Francis - good idea. What kind of benefits did the city get?

Wild man: Are you serious? New tax money, 40 events in a downtown arena putting people in restaurants after games, before games. Parking revenues, Portion of concession sales. You have heard how this works right?

Perez: So what kind of benefits did the City get? (sucking his thumb)

Wild man: Mayor, I just answered that question. Do you have something else?

Perez: So who is Ron Francis? Will he give me the bribes? Sorry, campaign contributions?

Wild: I'm sorry, that's a ridiculous question.

Perez: I like your tie.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
No, no, no. I'll tell you how Hartford gets a team. One guy hooks a brand new arena to the end of a fishing pole. Another guy sits in Hartford and lets out line as the first guy drives this new arena to Pittsburgh. When the Penguins franchise sees this new arena, the guy sitting in Hartford reels in the new arena with the Penguins franchise following close behind.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Let's stay on topic, people. This is a legitimate discussion.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
I went, and was on TV a bunch of times holding a sign (I was wearing a Pucky shirt and an Avs hat), it was shorter, because Baldwin didnt bother coming, (apparently he couldnt for business reasons) but I think that he has cashed his chips in on the idea, and is leaving it to Gottesdeiner to be the guy to get it done. Gottesdeiner was very very positive and did a very good speech. The crowd was smaller than expected (its passover and Holy Thursday, mind you) but the crowd was very loud, further proving that we were the loudest arena lol.

It didnt say much that we didnt know, but it was uplifting. Gottesdeiner really seems serious about it. That is good enough for me, as long as he gets it done.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
CTBruins87 said:
I went, and was on TV a bunch of times holding a sign (I was wearing a Pucky shirt and an Avs hat), it was shorter, because Baldwin didnt bother coming, (apparently he couldnt for business reasons) but I think that he has cashed his chips in on the idea, and is leaving it to Gottesdeiner to be the guy to get it done. Gottesdeiner was very very positive and did a very good speech. The crowd was smaller than expected (its passover and Holy Thursday, mind you) but the crowd was very loud, further proving that we were the loudest arena lol.

It didnt say much that we didnt know, but it was uplifting. Gottesdeiner really seems serious about it. That is good enough for me, as long as he gets it done.
I wish I had gone. But 2 hours is a long trek for me, i'll go next year. :)

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
150 people for a team that left 9 years ago, not bad. I am sure there are more people who want the NHL back there that just didn't bother to come. If someone held a rally like that here for a team I probably wouldn't go, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want that team they are rallying for. Just my 2 cents.

GWhale*

The event was very interesting, a lot of confidence is building. I'm not holding my breath, but I still think we deserve a team as soon as possible. I can't count how many people were there, maybe 200-250, but that many people turning up for a glorified press conference isn't bad at all. It was all over the news and newspapers, so people who weren't aware of this are starting to hear about it now!

Whalerfan11

Feb 28, 2006
I was there. And it was just a glorified press conference. Nothing new was said but everyone there was energized and a man with millions looked determined. Overall it was a huge success and one step of many in getting a team back.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone who wants to troll in this thread is going to wish they hadn't. This is an obvious heart-felt and emotional issue to quite a few people which is why there is 17 pages of it. This isn't the place to carry your own agenda. There are plenty of other threads on the board to whine about Hartford. Constructive discussion/criticism is welcome. Dumping on the Whaler fans is not.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
GWhale said:
The event was very interesting, a lot of confidence is building. I'm not holding my breath, but I still think we deserve a team as soon as possible. I can't count how many people were there, maybe 200-250, but that many people turning up for a glorified press conference isn't bad at all. It was all over the news and newspapers, so people who weren't aware of this are starting to hear about it now!

I wouldn't say you "deserve" a team, it is definitely a good market, but the NHL should come to the North West. Yes, I might be biased because I live here, but it has been too long. Haven't had a pro team here since World War One. In the North East you guys have so many teams, and over here there is a huge gap between san jose and vancouver.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
PortlandRanger said:
I wouldn't say you "deserve" a team, it is definitely a good market, but the NHL should come to the North West. Yes, I might be biased because I live here, but it has been too long. Haven't had a pro team here since World War One. In the North East you guys have so many teams, and over here there is a huge gap between san jose and vancouver.

I've heard before in the past, but was never positive, do the Canucks have a TV deal in Seattle and Portland?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00