Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Noticed somewhere that yes, Hintz and DG are listed as on the 4th line for the T Stars. I am hoping they are trying to roll the mythical "4 equal lines" and it doesn't matter, but seems like they should be listed nearer the top over NHL has been Justin Dowling.....

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kind of sucks that the AHL website doesn't have TOI viseable. Doesn't it get tracked in the AHL ? Would be interested how many minutes the prospects get to play.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Noticed somewhere that yes, Hintz and DG are listed as on the 4th line for the T Stars. I am hoping they are trying to roll the mythical "4 equal lines" and it doesn't matter, but seems like they should be listed nearer the top over NHL has been Justin Dowling.....

That isn't true. Laberge, Sheldon Dries, Markison are the fourth line.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Texas Stars are back in the Central, and that means their in a division now where all teams play 76 games.

I didn't get the impression that Jason Robertson would play tonight in Game 3 after the coach's press conference, but he spoke a lot about the recent failures of their PP. If they do want to shake something up, Robertson would make the most sense to potentially add some pop to the PP.

Once he gets up to speed with a couple practices if they don't play him and continue to play Markison or L'Esperance over him is a joke.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Seeing Hintz and Gury showing up big for Texas in the playoffs is awesome to see.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Texas with the unlikely 2-1 lead against the #1 seed. It's going to be hard to win another in Tucson, and I think it's hard to imagine them winning both of the remaining games in Texas. I'm still pretty optimistic though if they get at least one more at home.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm pretty encouraged by Dallas' defensive depth. Ideally you wouldn't want such a young Top 7, but Dallas did OK with a young D in 2008 in the playoffs. Even if there are some rough spots, I think it will be good overall for the next few years.

The depth though is good. Heatherington as a 7 will be nice. Bayreuther and Nyberg both look like good options as the 8th and 9th D. It doesn't seem like Hansson is there yet so I wonder if they add a depth veteran right shot D to play in Texas.

I think Heatherington has an opportunity to be a regular the following season, but he's going to have major competition from Bayreuther and Nyberg.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, the fear about every AHL prospect is that he is a tick slow to move to the ultimate level. In speed, shot, release, reading play, etc. Think Jon Sim or Junior Lessard......

And recall that every 20 goal scorer at AHL level scored 40 in juniors. Every NHL checking forward was a big scorer earlier in his career.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Just a heads-up, some small success in the AHL doesn't mean they're going to put up decent numbers in the NHL next year.
I can't even imagine what sort of person has the time to post this on another team's board. It boggles the mind. Thanks for sharing this important news!

Reactions: Kcb12345

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Saw a Robertson interview, and he said that just watching the AHL from the press box, he could tell it was a lot faster than the OHL, and he would have to adjust. Add another level if he is going to adjust to NHL speed.

Also saw an article about how if the Stars don't sign Dries, someone else will. Another free agent find by Dallas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah that article gave a hat tip to Scott White, and I think that's an underrated guy in Dallas management. He keeps pumping out finds at the AHL level who have a big impact on that organization, and then some of them have made it up to Dallas.

Scott White does seem to scout pretty often. I've seen him mentioned at NHL, AHL, and some junior games. You don't see a ton of mentions of who is scouting the NCAA, but I imagine he's clearly there often. I don't think he's watching a ton of draft eligible players, but maybe he should.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Well how about that? Huge night for the 4th line. L'Esperance sets up Markison for the first goal of the game, and L'Esperance buys the OT winner.

Texas will have home ice in the conference finals against Rockford.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just noticed a kind of funny stat. Of the 9 points awarded tonight to Texas, only 3 were players under contract with Dallas, and only 1 was a prospect. Bayreuther, McKenzie, and Regner had assists tonight.

White really has built a solid group of AHL contracted players. In his latest mailbag, Shapiro confirmed Nill is pretty hands off with the Texas Stars in terms of AHL contracts.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
No Nyberg or Robertson.. Texas continues to show they only care about playing career AHL players rather than developing NHL prospects.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I want to see Robertson play, but let's be realistic. Dallas typically brings in the teenagers only to watch. There have been very few guys coming off their draft year that joined the Texas Stars and played. Caamano is the one recent exception I can recall, and they were out of the playoffs. To be surprised that Robertson isn't playing would be to ignore much of what's happened in the past. Also, if those "career AHLers" weren't contributing, I'd be more inclined to bemoan him sitting, but they essentially just won an elimination game for the team, and I'm pretty much OK with anything that allows Dallas' close to NHL ready prospects a chance to play deep in the playoffs.

Nyberg had a chance. He played surprisingly well his first game, and then it got a little rough. Right or wrong, it also threw off the L-R balance, but I personally don't see that as big deal. I do see it as another reason he might have come out. You're not going to sit players who are playing really well for a guy that's not quite up to speed in the middle of the playoffs.

Saying that Texas only cares about career AHL players though is pretty dramatic when Bayreuther, Dickinson, Elie, Gurianov, Heatherington, and Hintz are getting significant playing time. Some of the other veterans are legitimate depth NHLers that could and have played in the NHL in McKenzie and Flynn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad