Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Texas will get a week off before the series starts. Rockford closed out their series with a sweep on Wednesday.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
No Nyberg or Robertson.. Texas continues to show they only care about playing career AHL players rather than developing NHL prospects.

What more do you want? Six of our prospects are playing key roles with the team. Robertson is 18, do you actually think he'll help the team?

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I think Robertson will get a chance the next time Texas loses, coaches don't like to mess with a winning formula. I'm not too worried regardless.

Deleted member 55113

Haven't been able to watch the games, but noticed Dickinson's stats have been quite disappointing but I have no context. Has he been used as a defensive player (not in a situation to produce), was he actually truly under-performing and playing poorly, or he has been unlucky? (Or some mixture of all 3 possibilities?)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Haven't been able to watch the games, but noticed Dickinson's stats have been quite disappointing but I have no context. Has he been used as a defensive player (not in a situation to produce), was he actually truly under-performing and playing poorly, or he has been unlucky? (Or some mixture of all 3 possibilities?)

Used as a 4th line center with dreadful wingers. Used as a player he isn't expected to be and never used as a scoring depth option. Big problem with Hitchcock last year, and a big problem with the Stars. He should be given at the very least the opportunity that Devin Shore and Brett Ritchie get.

If you mean the AHL role then I can't help you there I haven't been able to catch too many AHL games at all this year.

Reactions: Rimsky44 and Bfantz

Deleted member 55113

If you mean the AHL role then I can't help you there I haven't been able to catch too many AHL games at all this year.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I knew what happened in the NHL and how Hitch stapled everyone under 22 to the bench. I meant in the AHL. He should be dominating in the AHL playoffs, but his point production there is troubling and I don't get access to watch AHL games.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Sorry, I wasn't clear - I knew what happened in the NHL and how Hitch stapled everyone under 22 to the bench. I meant in the AHL. He should be dominating in the AHL playoffs, but his point production there is troubling and I don't get access to watch AHL games.

No problem

Reactions: Rimsky44

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
What more do you want? Six of our prospects are playing key roles with the team. Robertson is 18, do you actually think he'll help the team?

Who are six prospects? We have Hintz, Gurianov and Bayreuther

Robertson is about 10x better than Sam Laberge that's for damn sure.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I want to see Robertson play, but let's be realistic. Dallas typically brings in the teenagers only to watch. There have been very few guys coming off their draft year that joined the Texas Stars and played. Caamano is the one recent exception I can recall, and they were out of the playoffs. To be surprised that Robertson isn't playing would be to ignore much of what's happened in the past. Also, if those "career AHLers" weren't contributing, I'd be more inclined to bemoan him sitting, but they essentially just won an elimination game for the team, and I'm pretty much OK with anything that allows Dallas' close to NHL ready prospects a chance to play deep in the playoffs.

Nyberg had a chance. He played surprisingly well his first game, and then it got a little rough. Right or wrong, it also threw off the L-R balance, but I personally don't see that as big deal. I do see it as another reason he might have come out. You're not going to sit players who are playing really well for a guy that's not quite up to speed in the middle of the playoffs.

Saying that Texas only cares about career AHL players though is pretty dramatic when Bayreuther, Dickinson, Elie, Gurianov, Heatherington, and Hintz are getting significant playing time. Some of the other veterans are legitimate depth NHLers that could and have played in the NHL in McKenzie and Flynn.

Last season Vala, Martenet, and Caamano played AHL games (all be it not playoff games).

The year before that Hansson was brought in and played 4 playoff games, McMurty got 3 playoff games.

The year before that Backman and Janmark and Dickinson and Shore all got into playoff games.

The year before that Troock and Faksa got into playoff games.

The year before that Klingberg, McKenzie, Ritchie got into playoff games.

So.. yea the precedence seems to be prospects come after their junior season and play. Robertson is better than the entire fourth line but isn't getting played. Major development fail by the Dallas Stars once again but it's so common so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The Texas Stars are in the Western Conference finals, I don’t think their coach is too concerned with Jason Robertson’s development right now, as unfortunate as that may be to us here.

Reactions: WhatWhat and Bfantz

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Last season Vala, Martenet, and Caamano played AHL games (all be it not playoff games).

The year before that Hansson was brought in and played 4 playoff games, McMurty got 3 playoff games.

The year before that Backman and Janmark and Dickinson and Shore all got into playoff games.

The year before that Troock and Faksa got into playoff games.

The year before that Klingberg, McKenzie, Ritchie got into playoff games.

So.. yea the precedence seems to be prospects come after their junior season and play. Robertson is better than the entire fourth line but isn't getting played. Major development fail by the Dallas Stars once again but it's so common so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Laxdall has no obligation to try and develop Robertson in the playoffs . Gotta remember Texas is not just our farm team , there a professional hockey team in the second best league and there trying to win the Calder cup . Don’t see how we could blame them here . Scratching a guy who’s played all year for a guy who hasn’t played a game can send the wrong message .

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The hope would be the coach would insert the best players into the lineup. It's funny that everyone is saying "The Stars are going for the Championship" .. well DUH.. let's put in the 90 point OHL player who is an offensive dynamo and not play the undrafted garbage QMJHL 30 point player in Laberge..

If you want the Texas Stars to win the Calder Cup why are you playing a bad player over a good prospect?

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Laxdall has no obligation to try and develop Robertson in the playoffs . Gotta remember Texas is not just our farm team , there a professional hockey team in the second best league and there trying to win the Calder cup . Don’t see how we could blame them here . Scratching a guy who’s played all year for a guy who hasn’t played a game can send the wrong message .

Laberge already got scratched for a defenseman (Mangene) so he could play forward and he was already sent to the ECHL.

It doesn't send a bad message.. it sends a message that we are going to play our best players and win hockey games.

Not sure why everyone is so against that.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Laberge already got scratched for a defenseman (Mangene) so he could play forward and he was already sent to the ECHL.

It doesn't send a bad message.. it sends a message that we are going to play our best players and win hockey games.

Not sure why everyone is so against that.
Okay you could scratch Laberge if you wanted but with Robertson yea he’s a sniper and has more talent than some of the guys in the team but he’s not a safe player to bring in at this point . Wether he’s good or not he’s gonna have learning curves in the ahl and better to not have them in the middle of a playoff push . If they had more veteran players for him to be sheltered with maybe but they have a pretty young team as it is .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
A little disappointed our goalies are ranked so low.

Also, find myself wondering why Hintz wasn't being given the chance up top as JD? Sounds like our best FW prospect based on talent. Just don't understand Nill's pecking order that well, I guess.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
A little disappointed our goalies are ranked so low.

Also, find myself wondering why Hintz wasn't being given the chance up top as JD? Sounds like our best FW prospect based on talent. Just don't understand Nill's pecking order that well, I guess.

I'm more concerned about how anyone could be ranked behind Gurianov. :sarcasm:

But yes, surprised about the goalies as well.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
No Nyberg or Robertson.. Texas continues to show they only care about playing career AHL players rather than developing NHL prospects.
It's the playoffs. I agree that the kids need to play a full season but 2nd/3rd of the playoffs is not where you just toss rookies in because of a youth push.

The thing that is important is winning eight now. The further we go the better it is for our prospects on the ice right now

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
That #freeagent tag is concerning for sure.

At the same time, I never get too excited about NCAA players in general, especially defensemen. And especially one that Nill/McDonnell drafted lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad