Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Personally I don’t “blame” Benning for not drafting Pastrnak. Everyone knew Pastrnak was talented but he was also slight and had suffered injuries in his draft year. If it was obvious Pastrnak was gonna be as good as he is, he’d have been taken top 5.

The scary part of that pick is the report that Benning actually wanted to draft Connor Bleackley and had to be talked into taking Jared McCann by his scouts. The Pastrnak thing happens to every team except the one that drafts him.

Scary thought that Bleackley could of been the guy if Colorado didn't draft him first. If Benning had to been of talked into McCann at 24, I wonder who his next target was after Bleackley?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Scary thought that Bleackley could of been the guy if Colorado didn't draft him first. If Benning had to been of talked into McCann at 24, I wonder who his next target was after Bleackley?
Rumor was the Canucks were also interested in Goldy in that draft but went with the center instead, McCann....don't think Pastrnak was ever on their radar screen unfortunately.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Are we at the point now where Pettersson could be considered "generational"?

Your heart is in the right place, but that’s likely a ‘no’. One of my annoyances in hockey is how quick people are to throw that term out....”generational.” There’s a stark difference between a “generational” hockey player and a superstar.

Mike Bossy was generational. Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, and Patrick Roy are generational. Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are generational (the only reason why Ovie doesn’t get more respect is due to his Russian background). Connor McDavid looks like he will be generational.

A generational player is somewhat that defines a generation......or is someone that was the “face” of that generation. That’s my understanding of the term.

If you’re not worthy of being in the Top 20 of “the greatest of all-time,” then you aren’t generational. You are a superstar. Joe Thornton was a superstar. Pavel Bure was a superstar. The twins were superstars. Pettersson, if hail himself, has a good shot of being a superstar.

Reactions: DL44

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
roy came along at the right time to define the prototypical central casting butterfly goalie using lighter gear, but he didn't originate that, and hasek was the generational one who took it to another level. i am not certain if i would take peak roy over peak belfour, or peak fuhr or peak ranford or even peak brodeur. but i'd take peak hasek over any goalie i have ever seen.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Krutov you be crazy talking. Roy won his first Conn Smythe before losimg his eligibility for the Calder. He won 4 Conn Smythes in total. He won a cup with a pretty average team while going something like 10-1 in OT. Think about that, of 16 wins for a Cup, 10 were in OT...thats crazy. Also had a crazy game 7 record of something like 7-0 before losing a few in the final years of his career.

Hasek is in the mix, but it's really a two horse race for greatest goalienof the modern era. Putting Roy in a class with Belfour and Fuhr...please.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I have to agree with krutov. Peak Hasek was in a league of his own and the most elite goalie in NHL history.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Hasek had the greatest peak of all-time, but Roy probably had the best career of all-time. I'd value peak over longevity in this and most cases, but don't think there's a tier between them on an all-time list, like there is with say Orr vs Lidstrom.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hasek had the greatest peak of all-time, but Roy probably had the best career of all-time. I'd value peak over longevity in this and most cases, but don't think there's a tier between them on an all-time list, like there is with say Orr vs Lidstrom.

To me, Hasek is the Bobby Orr of goalies. His prime might not have been as long as others but he was so far ahead of the 2nd best guy it's absurd.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Their careers largely overlapped and one's career sv% is 120 basis points higher. There's context obviously, but not enough to make it particularly close.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
To me, Hasek is the Bobby Orr of goalies. His prime might not have been as long as others but he was so far ahead of the 2nd best guy it's absurd.

Hard to say who is #1 but I think the conversation is Hasek, Roy, Plante, Sawchuk

R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Nov 19, 2007
Their careers largely overlapped

Roy had 108 playoff games played before Hasek had a 30 game season under his belt.

Hasek played 111 regular season games before the start of the dead puck era; Roy played 395.

Their careers overlapped but there are crucial differences. League average save percentages steadily climbed from the start of Roy’s careers (.870s) to the end of Hasek’s (.910s).

I still think peak Hasek is on another level but I’d be reticent to compare their career stats.

Reactions: alternate

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’ll throw in one more tidbit: Yes, Dominik Hasek was definitely generational. The dude almost singlehandedly won the gold medal for the Czechs at Nagano. Canada was better in every way imaginable than the Czechs and still lost.

A year later in 1999, Hasek again almost single handedly carried that Sabres team. The Sabres had a decent team, but they had no business being in that cup final.

Guys like Jagr and Messier also deserve a nod for being considered generational. I know Vancouverites will be inclined to dislike The Moose, but his success speaks for itself.

I’ll agree that Mike Bossy is probably on the border of high end superstar and generational.

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Yeah really looking forward to see how our prospects Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and Bossy turn out. By the odds only half of these guys make it to the big show but hopefully most will.

In a perfect world they turn out to be elite like peak Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and Bossy.

God i love the prospect thread...favorite thread by far....

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Yeah really looking forward to see how our prospects Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and Bossy turn out. By the odds only half of these guys make it to the big show but hopefully most will.

In a perfect world they turn out to be elite like peak Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and Bossy.

God i love the prospect thread...favorite thread by far....

It's almost like every prospects season is done and there isn't much discussion to be had

Reactions: R0bert0 Lu0ng0

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Trent Cull was on 1040 today:

TSN Radio Vancouver‏Verified account @TSN1040 9m9 minutes ago
Cull on Demko:
"He's done a great job. This is such a development tool, to see your players, your prospects, play in these pressure situations. I think Thatcher has done a fantastic job with that. He's given us a chance to win every night."

"I think this is the perfect situation for your prospects. And Thatcher is doing a great job handling it, mentally and physically. Hopefully the longer we go, the more experience it gives him and the other #Canucks prospects"

Cull on Dahlen:
"I like his hockey sense. He's got a plan with the puck, before he's got the puck. And to think ahead like that, it's fantastic. He's a guy offensively, he moves and gets into the holes quick. And he's a good forechecker, there's no fear in his game."

"I've really liked his development over the year. Where he was at the start of the year, playing some exhibition games with us, and coming back to us...it's been a great year for him. He's really added to our team."

Cull on Lind:
"The pace is way faster (than junior). So for a kid to come out of junior and to jump into pro hockey at this level, right now, this is a huge adjustment."

Cull: AHL playoffs a perfect situation for Canucks prospects

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Umm... I feel like everyone is getting caught up in the nitpicky grey area for some reason and missing the forest for the trees a bit here.
Hasek is way way better than Roy, and anyone else, really, but by any measure, Roy is still a generational hockey player, well ahead of guys like Brodeur and Belfour.
It's like arguing that Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin can't be considered generational solely on the basis that they can't touch Mario Lemieux in his prime.

Reactions: alternate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad