Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Filip Zadina:

I just want to go on record stating that I think Zadina will be the Brett Connolly/Jesse Puliujarvi of this draft. While I’m not prepared to say that Zadina will be a complete bust, I do think that many others drafted below him (and above him) will greatly outperform him for the first few years.

I think Zadina will possibly develop into a half decent 2nd line player, but I don’t see him being the first line sniper that many peg him to be.
Of course he is...he's going to the Habs after all. If Bergervin was smart he'd be shopping this pick to move back in the draft and acquire more picks. But that probably won't be happening.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pettersson just awarded SHL rookie, SHL forward of the year and SHL MVP.
Dahlen was named the league MVP and best forward in the Allsvenskan

They're going to look great skating with Wahlstrom!
Yes, and Palmu is a finalist for rookie of the year in the Finnish League; Gaudette is the current holder of the Hobey Baker Award as the best NCAA college hockey player; and Boeser a finalist for the Calder; Tryamkin made the KHL all-star team; and Demko is an AHL stud and easily the Comets MVP. And none of these guys were drafted anywhere near the top-10 in the first round. Damn if feels uplifting to actually hit on a few later picks for a change.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Yes, and Palmu is a finalist for rookie of the year in the Finnish League; Gaudette is the current holder of the Hobey Baker Award as the best NCAA college hockey player; and Boeser a finalist for the Calder; Tryamkin made the KHL all-star team; and Demko is an AHL stud and easily the Comets MVP. And none of these guys were drafted anywhere near the top-10 in the first round. Damn if feels uplifting to actually hit on a few later picks for a change.
Thats for sure Jack. One thing Benning has hit the nail on is all these picks youve mentioned and none top ten. Then taking Dahlen lol from Ottawa was pretty dam swift imo plus the Lipesic move SEEMS good too. I dunno if he picks the right guy at 7 I might start coming around to this guy.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
On the flipside of things, Gunnarsson had another 0 point season. It's honestly impressive how the guy can't even get a flukey assist or anything. Why was he a 5th rounder

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
On the flipside of things, Gunnarsson had another 0 point season. It's honestly impressive how the guy can't even get a flukey assist or anything. Why was he a 5th rounder
He’s a rare ‘throwback’ d-man like no other.
The ‘throwback’ term usually refers to the era before puck rushing d-men; however, in his case he ‘threwback’ to the era before where forward passes weren’t allowed.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

I don't see the appeal of these Cederholm type d-men.

Well, I do, but it's antiquated, "big, stay at home defenceman" type thinking that may have flown 10+ years ago, but these days even your 7th defenceman has to be able to move the puck with some basic skill. Just crosschecking guys in front of the net, like Dana Murzyn used to do, isn't going to cut it anymore.

Reactions: timw33

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't see the appeal of these Cederholm type d-men.

Well, I do, but it's antiquated, "big, stay at home defenceman" type thinking that may have flown 10+ years ago, but these days even your 7th defenceman has to be able to move the puck with some basic skill. Just crosschecking guys in front of the net, like Dana Murzyn used to do, isn't going to cut it anymore.

I like Gradin and think he's one of our best scouts, but he's thrown a few of these on the board over the years and seems to have a blind spot for this type of player.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yeah if I remember correctly they said they liked him at the WJC and the fact he played in the SHL means he could come to Utica sooner to help out :laugh:

They always have incredible justifications for some of these picks, "oh he's a year older so he'll help our team sooner", blindly neglecting the fact that there were multiple highly talented 18 year olds on the board.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
They always have incredible justifications for some of these picks, "oh he's a year older so he'll help our team sooner", blindly neglecting the fact that there were multiple highly talented 18 year olds on the board.

Not to mention the much more talented 20 year olds available if they are dead set on drafting for Utica for whatever reason.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Not to mention the much more talented 20 year olds available if they are dead set on drafting for Utica for whatever reason.

Yeah they even find a way to **** up those picks. If you're drafting for Utica and the farm teams for any reason, you've just wasted a pick.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Maybe bring back Chaput/Boucher and have them as like the 4th/5th option for callups

Otherwise all of those guys can go find a new team

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Maybe bring back Chaput/Boucher and have them as like the 4th/5th option for callups

Otherwise all of those guys can go find a new team
We are in total agreement except for one player. Utica will only have one goalie no matter how Vancouver settles their goalie situation.

Bachman is someone who you know what you have.

Garteig has not developed into a quality backup. He couldn't wrest the job in Kalamazzo from a veteran keeper. He posted a 3.81 GAA with an .887 SV% while only playing 24 games. He would be fine in the role he served this season, playing in the Zoo and sitting behind the Utica keeper in case of an emergency.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Wanted to get this all on one list, been a helluva year for some of the Canucks top prospects. (let me know if I've missed anything)

Canucks picks accomplishments for 2017/2018 (from drafts 2015 -> 2017):
(All I can say is thank goodness for the trade for Dahlen or our 2016 draft is looking atrocious... maybe atrocious regardless)

2015 DRAFT
Rd #Pick #PlayerNatPosAWARDS
123Brock Boeser
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
RWRookie of the Month in NHL, Nov, Dec 2017
Voted to All-Star Game
Accuracy Shooting Champ at All-Star Game
All-Star Game MVP
Nominated for NHL Rookie of the Year
366Guillaume Brisebois
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada
D
4114Dmitri Zhukenov
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
CKHL Rookie of the Week (Sep. 11)
5144Carl Neill
Canada
DCIS (OUA East) All-rookie Team
CIS (OUA East) First all-star team
CIS All-Rookie team
5149Adam Gaudette
United States
CHockey East Player of the Year
Hockey East Scoring Champion
Hockey East First All-Start Team
ACHA East First-Team All-American
Hobey Baker Award Winner
6174Lukas Jasek
23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Czech Republic
RW
7210Tate Olson
Canada
D
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2016 DRAFT
15Olli Juolevi
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
D
364William Lockwood
United States
RW
5140Cole Candella
Canada
D
6154Jakob Stukel
Canada
LW
7184Rodrigo Abols
23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png
Latvia
C
7194Brett McKenzie
Canada
C/LW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rd#2 42 Jonathan Dahlen
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden LW

2017 DRAFT

15Elias Pettersson
Sweden
CNamed to Team Sweden WC team
233Kole Lind
Canada
RWWHL (West) Second All-Star Team
255Jonah Gadjovich
Canada
LW
364Michael DiPietro
Canada
GNamed to Team Canada WC team
OHL Goaltender of the Year
495Jack Rathbone
United States
D
5135Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Sweden
D
6181Petrus Palmu
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
LW/RWLiiga Rookie of the Year
7188Matthew Brassard
Canada
D
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
I like Gradin and think he's one of our best scouts, but he's thrown a few of these on the board over the years and seems to have a blind spot for this type of player.

Gradin stays mostly in the west, scouting the WHL. I'm sure he makes trips overseas to Europe every now and then but you can primarily catch him hanging around the Western league.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Are you referring to former Canuck draft pick Daniel Rahimi? Though it seems he was able to carve out a career overseas (played on the same team as Canuck prospect Pettersson this past season).

I do often wonder if in the past Gradin tended to look better because he was surrounded by some pretty awful Canuck amateur scouts?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
IMO Gradin's rep is largely based on Edler. Not that I have enough info to really grade Gradin's performance, but Edler is the big catch that got Gradin the rep he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad