Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Am I out of order if I say, blame Benning for not drafting Pastrnak but don't give credit to Benning for drafting Boeser?

Personally I don’t “blame” Benning for not drafting Pastrnak. Everyone knew Pastrnak was talented but he was also slight and had suffered injuries in his draft year. If it was obvious Pastrnak was gonna be as good as he is, he’d have been taken top 5.

The scary part of that pick is the report that Benning actually wanted to draft Connor Bleackley and had to be talked into taking Jared McCann by his scouts. The Pastrnak thing happens to every team except the one that drafts him.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 4m4 minutes ago
Just talked with Sam Salo in Finland about Olli Juolevi's season and how close he is to the NHL and also about Petrus Palmu.

Salo on Juolevi: "He had a really good year, he improved in the areas he needed, like in the defensive zone. He had a great playoff, he carried the team after we lost a key defenseman. He took the team on his shoulders, we were really happy with his development."

Salo on how close Juolevi is to the NHL: "His play in his own end will be the biggest hurdle I think for him. He needs a big summer, get in better physical shape, conditioning, stronger and quicker. Lots of work to be done, the next step is big."

Salo on Petrus Palmu: "He was a strong part of our team, had a lot of points. He is a smaller guy but he goes into the tough areas and is a pest to play against, he will be in the #Canucks lineup someday."

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
not really.

Needs to get over a defensive hurdle, get quicker, stronger and in better shape?

So essentially become a better athlete and defender. Yeah cool interview Salo.

Is it just me or is Sami Salo a terrible communicator.

Reactions: Ryp37

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
not really.

Needs to get over a defensive hurdle, get quicker, stronger and in better shape?

So essentially become a better athlete and defender. Yeah cool interview Salo.

Is it just me or is Sami Salo a terrible communicator.

I would consider it praise if it was to describe a later round project pick.

Not exactly what you want to hear for a top 5 pick in his D + 2 year, especially after he’s been shamed by many of his peers drafted after him.

I guess it’s better than his D + 1 year.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am going to repost this part of the dhaliwal interview above because it does not appear to be showing up for some posters. it looks like all they can see is the part where salo encouraged juolevi to get into better shape over the summer.

Salo on Juolevi:
"He had a really good year, he improved in the areas he needed, like in the defensive zone. He had a great playoff, he carried the team after we lost a key defenseman. He took the team on his shoulders, we were really happy with his development."

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I often get the feeling that Salo is saying those things because he wants Juolevi to know that he said them. Juolevi has been a very cocky guy, and I believe Salo is planting the seed to make Juolevi think that he may not be as good as he thinks he is and that the NHL is a big jump. I think Salo wants Juolevi to believe that the NHL is further away than he thinks.

We did this exact same thing with really talented players who thought they were going to walk into the next level with ease.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...Petrus Palmu in the Canucks lineup someday?....didn't really see that coming....has to dominate in Utica first I guess.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I often get the feeling that Salo is saying those things because he wants Juolevi to know that he said them. Juolevi has been a very cocky guy, and I believe Salo is planting the seed to make Juolevi think that he may not be as good as he thinks he is and that the NHL is a big jump. I think Salo wants Juolevi to believe that the NHL is further away than he thinks.

We did this exact same thing with really talented players who thought they were going to walk into the next level with ease.

totally agree. he has been stingy with compliments all the way with juolevi. this is very positive. salo seems to very careful with what he says.

the comment i like is the statement juolevi carried the team at one point. salo could say undeserved complimentary things about juolevi in isolation just to be polite or pump his tires and try and encourage him to keep going. but he is not going to say something like that unless he can also square it with his other players. so i think it is sincere.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

i completely agree. My take also.

I just find Salo a bit painful.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Ed Willes is covering UTICA during the playoffs, on 1040 with a report:

TSN Radio Vancouver‏Verified account @TSN1040
@willesonsports: Kole Lind, by his own admission, he said "I wasn't sure I was ready for this". He had one assist in six games, he's 19. I'm not sure how much his development will be affected, one way or the other, by playing in this series

@willesonsports: Jonathan Dahlen, this was his third game in North America. I thought he showed really well in game two. He was in the middle of scoring chances, didn't hit the scoresheet, but his skill level is evident #canucks

@willesonsports: (Jasek's) a really intriguing talent. Kind of fits the modern prototype of the player. He's a plus skater. They told me in Utica that he can makes plays at top speed. For a sixth-round draft pick, that's found money for the #canucks

Willes: Dahlen, Jasek showing intriguing skills for Comets

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren and Index

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Wow, congrats to DiPietro.

Can't say that I considered this a possibility. He didn't make the World Juniors, he wasn't far and above every other CHL goalie, and I can't remember the last time Canada took a junior aged goalie.

Edit: I just looked it up. Sean Burke is the youngest goalie to play for Canada at the World Championships. He was a year older than DiPietro is now.

The last time Canada brought a junior goalie to the WHC was Jamie Storr in 1994. He didn't play a game.

Last edited:

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 15m15 minutes ago
I'm hearing #Canucks prospect goalie Michael DiPietro has been invited by Canada for the World Hockey championships, most likely 3rd goalie. Canucks to be represented by Bo Horvat and DiPietro.

DiPietro was cut by the Canadian junior hockey team but gets a call from the Canadian world hockey team.

Just talked with goalie Michael DiPietro, he is pumped about getting the call from Canada for the world's.

That's a huge feather in the cap for DiPietro to get a call from Canada at the world's, he still has not been signed by the #Canucks.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
That's awesome for Dipi, super cool experience. Windsor had no business being in or near the playoffs this season with all the assets they sold off, he was their best player hands down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad