Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
The main job of the head amateur scout is building the teams' draft rankings, a function that isn't done on the draft floor. Watching a video from the day of the draft won't usually reveal anything about the work done by the head scout.
The main job of the Head Amateur Scout is to build the rankings to help the GM choose the players. In 2016, Benning did receive most of the input from Weisbrod. 2017 is completely different, Brackett is clearly running the show. It is as obvious as Canucks have a clueless management team.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
The main job of the Head Amateur Scout is to build the rankings to help the GM choose the players. In 2016, Benning did receive most of the input from Weisbrod. 2017 is completely different, Brackett is clearly running the show. It is as obvious as Canucks have a clueless management team.

It's so obvious that brackett is dong all the hand holding for jimbo. Benning has proven that he is a terrible judge of talent through his numerous terrible pro scouting acquisitions. The idea that on one hand someone is terrible at assessing professional talent yet on the other be this amateur scouting savant is ridiculous.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Was there absolute outrage at the time bout picking JV....?.....FYI...Nylander was my 1st choice at the time,but I wasn't outraged at the JV pick.

I think we lost the poll, but HF wanted Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie/Virtanen in that order. Can't remember who was voted the most wanted in Nylander/Ehlers, so they're interchangeable at the top, but HF-consensus was wanting those two the most.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think we lost the poll, but HF wanted Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie/Virtanen in that order. Can't remember who was voted the most wanted in Nylander/Ehlers, so they're interchangeable at the top, but HF-consensus was wanting those two the most.

Ehlers was the favorite by a fair bit. Nylander was a distant second, and then there was Ritchie/Virtanen/etc

Oddly, the closer we got to the draft, the more people warmed up to Virtanen as we all pretty much knew that was who we were taking.

Reactions: Grantham and timw33

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Tue March 13

Europe

Timra 4 Leksands 1
Dahlen 2 goals (3rd, 4th), 1 assist, +1

Timra wins the Promotion Series 3-0, will move on to Relegation Series

Note: Vaxjo first playoff game is March 18, and playoffs for TPS start March 20

ECHL

Brampton 5 Kalamazoo 3
Cederholm 0 points, even
Moynihan 0 points, -2
Irving 2 assists, -1
Stewart 0 points, +1
Garteig 31 saves on 35 shots

OHL

Calgary 3 Medicine Hat 1
Stukel 0 points, even

S_C

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Something to cheer for other than the tank: all of Dahlen, Pettersson, Juolevi and Palmu in the playoffs, and all of them having made important contributions to teams that excelled in the regular season.

Reactions: rune74

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Something to cheer for other than the tank: all of Dahlen, Pettersson, Juolevi and Palmu in the playoffs, and all of them having made important contributions to teams that excelled in the regular season.

I have heard about the FWDs but not much about juolevi, you say he has been doing good...how so?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I have heard about the FWDs but not much about juolevi, you say he has been doing good...how so?

Juolevi is second in points per game for defensemen on TPS. There's no reasonable argument to be made that he hasn't made an "important contribution" to his team's success.

Reactions: rune74

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Ehlers was the favorite by a fair bit. Nylander was a distant second, and then there was Ritchie/Virtanen/etc

Oddly, the closer we got to the draft, the more people warmed up to Virtanen as we all pretty much knew that was who we were taking.

Exactly the way I remember the feeling on our forums.

I think the reason why we started warming up to the JV pick was because Linden and Benning had pretty much made that pick a forgone conclusion the days/weeks leading up to the draft. It was almost like victim mentality to support a local kid, because we knew the player we really wanted (Ehlers) had no shot with us based on comments from management.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Exactly the way I remember the feeling on our forums.

I think the reason why we started warming up to the JV pick was because Linden and Benning had pretty much made that pick a forgone conclusion the days/weeks leading up to the draft. It was almost like victim mentality to support a local kid, because we knew the player we really wanted (Ehlers) had no shot with us based on comments from management.

I don’t know if I totally believe this version of the story. Although both Ehlers and Nylander were favoured around here, it wasn’t by a landslide. Personally, I didn’t trust Ehlers offence to translate... to many smaller Q scorers end up with rather lacklustre numbers in the NHL. And I didn’t trust Nylander to to end up being much better than his Dad, who never impressed me that much. That’s why I was on the Ritchie bandwagon. o_O

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Hey curious was Nicolas Hague one of the 10 defencemen invited to Team Canada's 32 man WJC camp last December. Some here are pissed Brackett picked Lind instead of Hague. Just want to know how Hockey Canada feels about Hague?

Doesn’t look like he was

Rosters

But you should really learn how to use google. It will Help a lot in life

@Ghost of David Bruce inthinknit was clear cut that Ehlers and Nylander were better at the time. If I recall the debate was if they want a pwf why don’t they take Ritchie who’s better except not local

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Hey curious was Nicolas Hague one of the 10 defencemen invited to Team Canada's 32 man WJC camp last December. Some here are pissed Brackett picked Lind instead of Hague. Just want to know how Hockey Canada feels about Hague?
Team Canada chose Gadjovich over Lind. Does that mean Gadjovich is better? I sure would rather have Lind.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
I don’t know if I totally believe this version of the story. Although both Ehlers and Nylander were favoured around here, it wasn’t by a landslide. Personally, I didn’t trust Ehlers offence to translate... to many smaller Q scorers end up with rather lacklustre numbers in the NHL. And I didn’t trust Nylander to to end up being much better than his Dad, who never impressed me that much. That’s why I was on the Ritchie bandwagon. o_O

Yeah I remember voting Richie right up until the last poll when I went Ehlers really on the back of weight of opinion from various scouting services.

It was a landslide towards the end though, for sure. Nylander got ~43% on the mock voted by this board, with Ehlers a reasonably close 2nd (that was the one posted by a guys who did the multi-board one). The internal polls were pretty similar.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Yeah, unless Gadjovich re-learns how to skate, he's going to be a lost cause in the NHL.

Yes, Gads will have to work on his skating a little, not much, but it's quite obvious that it isn't the issue that the Benning Hate Team claim it to be. Hockey Canada - "Hi!". Gadjovich's Gold Medal - "Hi!"

You want horrifically bad skating? - Gabriel Vilardi.

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
Yes, Gads will have to work on his skating a little, not much, but it's quite obvious that it isn't the issue that the Benning Hate Team claim it to be. Hockey Canada - "Hi!". Gadjovich's Gold Medal - "Hi!"

You want horrifically bad skating? - Gabriel Vilardi.

What does Vilardi have to do with Gadjo's skating?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I remember most people wanted Ehlers, then Ritchie, then Nylander. I didn’t follow a poll closely but that seemed to be the consensus around here from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad