Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
brutal. how can the organization **** up a top 10 pick so much?

No team will hit homeruns with all their top picks. The good thing is the more top picks we waste the more we get in the future thanks to the NHL system that rewards losing. In a way it's better for the rebuild that we missed the good players early so we can continue to accumulate more talent through more high picks.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
No team will hit homeruns with all their top picks. The good thing is the more top picks we waste the more we get in the future thanks to the NHL system that rewards losing. In a way it's better for the rebuild that we missed the good players early so we can continue to accumulate more talent through more high picks.

Um no. It's better to hit on your top ten picks so the team can actually start to get good again before we all die. "Lets just keep sucking and getting terrible players because science".

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Lind just keeps on producing well Juolevi keeps on sucking. Such frustration well watching Tkachuck tear up the NHL :rant: :shakehead

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Lind just keeps on producing well Juolevi keeps on sucking. Such frustration well watching Tkachuck tear up the NHL :rant: :shakehead

Yay hopefully juolevi can mature, I didn't like the pick because I was so heavily in favour of tkachuck, my only optimism came from Bob McKenzie's opinion of him which created a silver lining from what was an enormously disappointing draft at the top end including getting the first of two lottery shafts

We stink at the 1st round so much
- homeruns like Cody Hodgson end up like crap
-bourdon we will never know RIP
-RJ Umburger trade demand
-Grabner becoming a good player after being given away
-Patrick freakin White
-Virtanen is coming around but the next two picked are already game changers in the NHL now
-Kesler came from a draft where everybody struck gold except New York
Lordy lord

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Haha, my kid used to say this when he was 5 or 6. Would tell me it’s ok if Virtanen wasn’t any good because it would help us get another high pick next year.

Are you 5 or 6 as well?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Haha, my kid used to say this when he was 5 or 6. Would tell me it’s ok if Virtanen wasn’t any good because it would help us get another high pick next year.

Are you 5 or 6 as well?

Haha yeah if we keep screwing up high picks we can keep getting high picks every year!!! Win - win!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yay hopefully juolevi can mature, I didn't like the pick because I was so heavily in favour of tkachuck, my only optimism came from Bob McKenzie's opinion of him which created a silver lining from what was an enormously disappointing draft at the top end including getting the first of two lottery shafts

We stink at the 1st round so much
- homeruns like Cody Hodgson end up like crap
-bourdon we will never know RIP
-RJ Umburger trade demand
-Grabner becoming a good player after being given away
-Patrick freakin White
-Virtanen is coming around but the next two picked are already game changers in the NHL now
-Kesler came from a draft where everybody struck gold except New York
Lordy lord
One of them is....

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Are you 5 or 6 as well?

That's really smart for 5-6. Are you sure the kid is yours?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
brutal. how can the organization **** up a top 10 pick so much?

Yes, the top 10 pick failures over the past few years are extremely disappointing. To me that is the main issue with this regime, much more so than 'asset management', which gets vastly overrated around here.

Virtanen over Ehlers / Nylander
Juolevi over Tkachuk (to be fair I didn't mind this pick, but consensus was most definitely Tkachuk)

On the flip side Boeser and Petterson appear to be both excellent picks, ironically the team f***ed up the easy slam dunk picks in 2014 and 2016 while doing well with what may be considered more challenging picks (in terms of options) in 2015 and 2017. And have to give credit for the later round picks, the team has not had any success with later round draft picks in a very long time.

But missing out on two first line players as a rebuilding team is absolutely devastating.

Reactions: But Gillis

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is crazy logic.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Yes, the top 10 pick failures over the past few years are extremely disappointing. To me that is the main issue with this regime, much more so than 'asset management', which gets vastly overrated around here.

Virtanen over Ehlers / Nylander
Juolevi over Tkachuk (to be fair I didn't mind this pick, but consensus was most definitely Tkachuk)

On the flip side Boeser and Petterson appear to be both excellent picks, ironically the team f***ed up the easy slam dunk picks in 2014 and 2016 while doing well with what may be considered more challenging picks (in terms of options) in 2015 and 2017. And have to give credit for the later round picks, the team has not had any success with later round draft picks in a very long time.

But missing out on two first line players as a rebuilding team is absolutely devastating.

In short, Benning would be a great head scout/AGM for a winning team since they would not likely pick early and no slam dunk picks.

It does look promising that some of his recent picks are doing better than expectations. Last year's draft is looking great so far

Pettersson is scoring at basically a PPG pace in the SHL (very rare for a teen)
Lind has 18 points in 10 games (120+ point pace)
Gadjovich got his ELC (but isn't exactly scoring above expectations, 9pt in 8 gp)
DiPietro has a .946 SV% after 10 games
Palmu has 10 pts in 15 games in Liga (with NHLe at .6, it roughtly translate to 35-40 NHL point expectation)

That's basically 5 hits out of 8 in the draft with Gunnarsson being someone hard to judge at this point (defensive D in the SHL) and Rathbone is really a 3-5 year project with almost no expectations this year (won't start Harvard till 2018-2019).

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017

Nah. Canucks should've drafted Aho and Glass in those years. Canucks messed up again.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The trouble as I see it, is the Canucks are always tempted to go 'safe; with their high-end first rounders.....Virtanen was considered a 'safer' pick than either Ehlers or Nylander who had skill, but question marks about their size; Juolevi was coming off a dominant WJC and considered a 'safer' pick than Tkachuk who reportedly had skating issues....even back in '05 the Canucks grabbed the late Luc Bourdon at #10 because the next guy on the board, Anze Kopitar, had question marks as a player from Slovenia, which only had a rudimentary hockey program.

Sometimes 'safe' is the same as 'death' when it comes to the Entry Draft.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
DAhlen w. 2 more goals today for Timra in a win over Modo.

He was unbelieveable again today . Puck possesion , IQ, positioning and finish.

Reminds me alot of Mathew Tkahuks game minus the snarl

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
DAhlen w. 2 more goals today for Timra in a win over Modo.

He was unbelieveable again today . Puck possesion , IQ, positioning and finish.

Reminds me alot of Mathew Tkahuks game minus the snarl

We need to bring him to the AHL in Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad