The Prospect Thread II (McKay called up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Nah, I'm fine with Rodgers now. Top 3 is given but they graduate almost immediately, so I'll probably do top 103.

Rosario though? De Leon is way too high for me, too. Not even my top 2 Dodger prospect.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Don't quote me on this, but

1. Swanson
2. Moncada
3. Benintendi
4. Robles
5. Reyes
6. Torres
7. Rodgers
8. Meadows
9. Glasnow
10. Crawford

I'd probably have Rosario at 11, FWIW.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI

Leaving this here because the baseball world lost a very good person today. Mark was a very exuberant man who was always willing to help anyone who was trying to get in to the game. He created the A's video program after years in the Air Force and a baseball photographer. The A's lost a gem.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Nah, I'm fine with Rodgers now. Top 3 is given but they graduate almost immediately, so I'll probably do top 103.

Rosario though? De Leon is way too high for me, too. Not even my top 2 Dodger prospect.

Alvarez somewhere 11-20. Haven't really thought much about it past top-10.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Rule 5: some interesting names here. Big fan of O's choices.

1. Twins: Miguel Diaz, RHP, Brewers
2. Reds: Luis Torrens, C, Yankees
3. Padres: Allen Cordoba, SS, Cardinals
4. Rays: Kevin Gadea, Mariners
5. Braves: Armando Rivero, RHP, Cubs
6. D-backs: Tyler Jones, RHP, Yankees
7. Brewers: Caleb Smith, LHP, Yankees
8. Angels Justin Haley,RHP, Red Sox
9. White Sox: Dylan Covey, RHP, A's
10. Pirates: Tyler Webb, LHP, Yankees
11. Tigers: Daniel Stumpf, LHP, Royals
12. Orioles: Aneury Tavarez, 2B, Red Sox
13. Blue Jays: Glenn Sparkman, RHP, Royals
14. Red Sox: Josh Rutledge, INF, Rockies
15. Indians: Holby Miller, LHP, Phillies
16. Rangers: Michael Hauschild, RHP, Astros
17. Reds: Stuart Turner, C, Twins
18. Orioles: Anthony Santander, OF, Indians

1. Reds: Jose Adames, RHP, Marlins
2. Padres: Trevor Frank, RHP, Indians
3. Rays: Ty Hensley, RHP, Yankees
4. Braves: Cecilio Pimentel, LHP, Pirates
5. D-backs: John Fitzsimmons, RHP, Indians
6. Phillies: Jorge Flores, SS, Blue Jays
7. Brewers: Art Charles, 1B, Reds
8. Angels: Matt Williams, INF, Cardinals
9. Rockies: Anthony Bemboom, RHP, Angels
10. Marlins: Cal Towey, OF, Angels
11. Royals: Kevin Magallanes, RHP, Yankees
12. Astros: Eduardo De Oleo, C, D-backs
13. Yankees: Jorge Saez, C, Blue Jays
14. Mariners: Paul Paez, LHP, Mets
15. Cardinals: Austin Wilson, OF, Mariners
16. Tigers: Sean Donatello, RHP, Marlins
17. Orioles: Jeffery Hernandez, RHP, Reds
18. Blue Jays: Phillip Walby, RHP, Nationals
19. Dodgers: Edward Paredes, LHP, Tigers
20. Red Sox: Harrison Cooney, RHP, Angels
21. Rangers: LHP Matt Smoral, Blue Jays
22. Cubs: Kevin Cornelius, INF, Yankees

23. Rays: Jairo Munoz, RHP, Phillies
24. D-backs: Grant Sides, RHP, Indians
25. Brewers: Matt Ramsey, RHP, Marlins
26. Angels: Adrian Almeida, LHP, Mets
27. Marlins: Nick Maronde, LHP, Indians
28. Astros: Jared Mortensen, RHP, Rays
29. Yankees: Colten Brewer, RHP, Pirates
30. Mariners: Chuck Taylor, OF, D-backs
31. Tigers: Elvis Rubio, OF, Brewers
32. Orioles: Brian Moran, LHP, Braves
33. Dodgers: Kyle Grana, RHP, Cardinals
34. Red Sox: Joshua Smith, LHP, Pirates
35. Rangers: Zack Bird, RHP, Braves

36. D-backs: Daniel Lockhart, INF, Cubs
37. Angels: Mario Sanjur, C, Tigers
38. Marlins: Alex Yarbrough, 2B, Angels
39. Rangers: Fernando Miranda, RHP, Braves

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have to say I'm a bit stunned that Eric Wood wasn't selected...I don't think he's that good of a prospect, but a former 6th round pick who put up a near .800 OPS in AA and had a fairly dominant stint in the Arizona Fall League seems like a sure bet to lose in a Rule 5 Draft, even if he just wound up getting sent back in March. I'll take it.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I have to say I'm a bit stunned that Eric Wood wasn't selected...I don't think he's that good of a prospect, but a former 6th round pick who put up a near .800 OPS in AA and had a fairly dominant stint in the Arizona Fall League seems like a sure bet to lose in a Rule 5 Draft, even if he just wound up getting sent back in March. I'll take it.

Lots of good upside players aren't selected because it would be a waste of like $200k to get them and then send them back.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Lots of good upside players aren't selected because it would be a waste of like $200k to get them and then send them back.

Did that change with the CBA? I thought it was $100k for the pick, and you have to offer him back at $50k if you don't intend on keeping him on the roster.

I'd say Wood is worth a $50k gamble, but whatever. I'm glad it didn't happen. A young position player who has only ever played one corner infield position professionally isn't going to do anyone much good next season.

I'm not too familiar with Webb, but on the surface he looks like one of the more likely picks to stick with his team...a 26 year-old LOOGY with some AAA success sure makes Bastardo even more redundant.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Did that change with the CBA? I thought it was $100k for the pick, and you have to offer him back at $50k if you don't intend on keeping him on the roster.

I'd say Wood is worth a $50k gamble, but whatever. I'm glad it didn't happen. A young position player who has only ever played one corner infield position professionally isn't going to do anyone much good next season.

I'm not too familiar with Webb, but on the surface he looks like one of the more likely picks to stick with his team...a 26 year-old LOOGY with some AAA success sure makes Bastardo even more redundant.

used to be 50k/25k, they said on the mlb.com stream they upped it to 100k/50k this year.

Intrigued by the Sparkman pick for the Jays. Lost a year of development time with TJ but was really good in 2014 and had solid K/BB numbers this year in his return. They made a solid choice last year with Biagini so I'm hoping whatever it works out again.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
What does the 2017 draft look like?

College pitching is really good. Best in years. I like what I saw from the top end of the prep class at the UA game as well.

Plus, Jeren Kendall and JJ Schwarz are studly college hitters.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
College pitching is really good. Best in years. I like what I saw from the top end of the prep class at the UA game as well.

Yeah, I'm hoping to see Houch pitch at some point this spring. Interesting. Wish the Cardinals had a pick.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
So you're saying that the Rockies signing of Desmond is even more puzzling

Eh I get what they want to do and I agree with it assuming they don't play him at first. At some point you have to move forward with your young team.

Teams like the Jays need this draft. Teams like the Padres can further stack.

The team that really shouldn't drop the QO is the Marlins. They can accomplish their goal with Brad Ziegler and still be fine.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014

Schwarz had a great freshmen year, but fell a bit his sophomore year. In regards to rankings.

Entering his sophomore year last year, he was being talked about as a lock for top 3. Now, not so much.

That's not to say he can't improve his stock and get back up there, but he's not there right now IMO. Has lost some of that shine since his freshmen year, but his junior year will be one to follow for sure. Will he have a year like his freshmen year where he was considered a potential #1 pick? Or will it be like his sophomore year, continuing to stump organizations on what to do+where to take him.

College pitching is strong with guys like Wright, Faedo, Bukauskas, Lange, Houck, etc.

If I had to take a guy right now for 1-1, it'd be Kendall. Wondering if Lewis or Adell see their stocks rise a lot between now and the draft (in regards to being potential 1-1 guys). Which position does Greene end up in? Longenhagen seems convinced it's on the mound.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Hunter Greene is going 1-1 as a pitcher. If he doesn't I'd be shocked. I've seen him do both in person and there's a rare talent in his presence on the mound.

As far as Schwarz goes, it's a positional thing. He's settled in as a 1B/DH guy. Before he was C/LF and was projectable. Now the bat is less special.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I can see Twins going with Faedo at #1. Big upside and should move quickly. Tick and tick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad