OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Camp Tomlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
What's Julian Green up to? He's from the Bayern Munich youth program, so you figure he has good "pedigree". I know he scored that big goal for us against Belgium at the World Cup but I haven't heard anything about him since, and he's not on the Gold Cup roster. I looked at him as a guy that could help us add some speed and skill, so how is he doing?

*EDIT* Just found this article: http://www.espnfc.us/german-bundesl...confident-he-can-return-us-national-team-form.

Didn't realize he's playing in the German 4th division, in and out of the lineup. Sounds like he's had a pretty awful year thus far

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
green had a rather disastrous loan with a club struggling to avert relegation, but the 4th division stuff is a bit of a misnomer. hes not with the first team at bayern and bayern ii plays in the 4th division. he looks like hes not quite ready for the bundesliga yet, but second divison seems more appropriate. just need to find a loan that this time around is more favorable to his development.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Julian Green is a goddamned disaster...so far. He needs to go on loan to a 2.Bundesliga team where he'll actually figure into the line-up.

He has the potential, but the tires are just spinning in the mud right now. And yeah, as djt said the 4th division stuff is a misnomer. Playing for Bayern II is a lot different than playing for Schalding-Heining. On a smaller scale the Galaxy have plenty of players who are swinging between 1st division and 3rd division...because Los Dos is in the third tier (USL). The 2nd division here (NASL, more comparable to the third division in Germany) is independent.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
This still the place for Steeler talk?

I hate Seattle fans. Bunch of money-loving, bandwagon *****. Starting price of $330 USD on stubhub for the Steelers game. That translates roughly to $430 each in Canadian. For $750 Canadian my wife and I can get flight and hotel for 3 nights in Pittsburgh.

I fully expect to see the Steelers live one day, but for that price, I may as well save a little more for game tix and see them at home. Plus I can throw in a Pens or Bucs game depending on the month.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Steeler road games tend to be the most expensive on the schedule since Steeler fans are everywhere. Many teams require you to buy ticket packages to get tickets to a Steelers game...which means the secondary market for those games is sickening.

Honestly I think NFL games are better viewed on a couch with a good beer than in person. I've still never been to Heinz Field.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Steeler road games tend to be the most expensive on the schedule since Steeler fans are everywhere. Many teams require you to buy ticket packages to get tickets to a Steelers game...which means the secondary market for those games is sickening.

Honestly I think NFL games are better viewed on a couch with a good beer than in person. I've still never been to Heinz Field.

Yeah, I can't say I was surprised. Oh well, not the end of the world. At least now I can use the money I've already saved to see AC/DC. :yo:

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada

I hate Seattle fans. Bunch of money-loving, bandwagon *****. Starting price of $330 USD on stubhub for the Steelers game. That translates roughly to $430 each in Canadian. For $750 Canadian my wife and I can get flight and hotel for 3 nights in Pittsburgh.

I fully expect to see the Steelers live one day, but for that price, I may as well save a little more for game tix and see them at home. Plus I can throw in a Pens or Bucs game depending on the month.

Let's get Canada to invade Heinz Field at the end of September! My wife and I are flying up for some Bucs and Steelers/Ravens on TNF. :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Rather humorous that he is effectively being replaced by a guy coming from Villarreal, though.

Villarreal has been a mixed bag...the promise is certainly there, but he's not there yet. He should be loaned out, he's better than Los Dos, but not quite good enough to be a starter on a good MLS team.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
i think villarreal is ready to be a starter, but runs into the same issues a lot of younger creative players seem to run into in mls - conservative coaches prefer older journeymen. bruce's willingness to give younger guys any chance at all is unfortunately rare in mls. looking at you, pablo.

between lletget / dos santos signings along with swallowing the best of the chivas youth aparatus, it seems like the gauntlet has been thrown down hard on LAFC. still think they shouldve assumed the Chivas youth system rather than letting the galaxy get even more embedded into the la soccer community.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Galaxy had to do some chest thumping with LAFC coming around...that team is going to throw down bank...and they've done what they had to do to not just instill loyalty amongst the fan base, but to grab as many fans as possible. dos Santos is a big get as it will sway some of the miniscule Chivas fan base (and a much, much larger section of previously non-MLS following Mexican fans). The Red Bulls needed to do the same thing with NYCFC coming...but that was never going to happen with their ownership group. The Galaxy are owned by the guy who is the namesake of the friggin' championship trophy...say what you will about Anschutz in all of his endeavors, he's the single biggest reason the MLS is where it is today and continues to grow...there was no way he was going to sit idly by and let an upstart franchise still nearly 2 1/2 years away from playing a game steal the headlines. I just wish more "owners" had the same passion as Anschutz does...the Kraft family played a huge role in the founding of the MLS and has proceeded to essentially ignore the Revs existence ever since.

Villarreal may be ready to start in this league, just not on a team like the Galaxy. If he were on Colorado, most definitely, that's why I want him loaned out. He's too good for Los Dos and wouldn't gain anything there.

I'd be upset if he were being replaced by older journeymen, but he's being pushed out by a 26 year-old and a 22 year-old. It's hard to picture where he's going to fit in moving forward and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he's on the move in the off-season.

At least he should still get playing time if he sticks with the Galaxy this season, since he can play forward as well. International dates mean you have to have depth. We're at the point where the MLS really needs to fix the schedule...but that comes with so many hurdles thanks to weather in parts of the country...you just can't play games in Colorado, Utah, Foxboro, etc. in February.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Love Heyward. Perfect two gapper and if he is allowed to pin back his ears in this new defense as promised, I can see him breaking double digit sacks.

This team is right on schedule with where I hoped they would be a couple of summers back. Lots of talented youth and their cap situation looks as good as it has in almost a decade.

Even the most pessimistic Steeler fans I know are excited and hopeful for this season. I don't know if that's good or bad though....

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
First regular season game for Steven Gerrard in LA...and the Galaxy rattle off 5 straight goals after going down 2-0 early...and three of our best offensive options aren't even with the team right now :laugh:

Though Edson Buddle coming in wearing Alan Gordon's jersey was pretty hilarious.

Jesper

Apr 13, 2007
Mannheim
It's safe to say Madden doesn't know a goddamned thing about soccer, so just ignore that. The USWNT would easily handle the Riverhounds.

I'm not so sure about that. Germany's WNT a week removed from their first World Cup win (2003) played in a friendly against the men's U16 from VfB Stuttgart and lost quite handly. Like 0-4 or so.

In 2007 the Turbine Potsdam's WT (who just won the German League) lost 10-3 to a men's team from the 6th german division.

I mean, it is kind of hard for a women's team to compete against men because even at lower levels a male football player would be faster and stronger.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

I go to a few games here and there, mostly on the road... its a blast. Heinz Field is amazing though... from the nosebleed section to the sidelines, even the corners... somehow every seat is a great view of the field. well engineered stadium there.

Its not hard to get cheap tickets to certain games on the road, especially work night games from teams that start the season poorly or have no expectations.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Also if anyone is going to the Pats game and Brady plays in it... they need a:
"Karma is coming for you, Tommy"
sign.....

100% assured to get on ESPN if anything bad happens to him or the Pats.... every pick, every hit....

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Not that I can post publically...and none that I know of illegally either, but I'm sure something can easily be found.

MLS Live is $38 for the rest of the season...I've been glued to it, much more intuitive than GameCenter Live.

I'm looking forward to seeing Barcelona's back-ups torch us for 7 tomorrow night...oh well, it's those junk exhibition games that pay for guys like dos Santos...
Giovani-Santos-playera-Galaxy_MILIMA20150720_0232_8.jpg

Ah, that's the good stuff. Now for 4 1/2 years of people comparing him to Landon Donovan for playing the same position and wearing the same number.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

If you want to see a cheap(ish) Steelers game live, go to a game in Heinz Field when it's cold. It is not sold out for many cold games, including a MNF game I went to last November vs Houston.

And yes, I think this is the Steelers thread but I don't know why other topics are thrown in here as well, especially since the Pirates have a separate thread.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Pirates have their own thread because there's enough posts to warrant it (and there was way too much baseball/football bashing going on). This is for everything else and always has been...that makes it the de facto Steelers thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad