OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Camp Tomlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Is Gyasi Zardes' nickname "Shocktop"? Because it should be.

maxresdefault.jpg

ShockTopLogo4Coval-copy.png

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
This Galaxy vs. Club America match, has real good pace to it.

great run there by Gerrard, couldn't finish, great save by the keeper

EDIT: Keane with a beauty!

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Do you guys think we will ever see the US win a world cup (talking men obviously), in our lifetime?

Yes. We're talking 20+ years away, but yes I do think we will become a global power in the sport in my lifetime.

This Galaxy vs. Club America match, has real good pace to it.

great run there by Gerrard, couldn't finish, great save by the keeper

EDIT: Keane with a beauty!

That was fun to watch, given the Galaxy were clearly treating that like an exhibition game (all 11 starters subbed out) and Club America was going for it...a little chippy and only using 3 subs. Love it when the visiting supporters throw flares...you can smack American soccer culture all you want, at least that's not something that you see every time there's a call against your team near the supporters' section.

Two real pretty plays to give the Galaxy the win.

Penn State's Andrew Wolverton made his Galaxy debut last night for the Galaxy, too.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yes. We're talking 20+ years away, but yes I do think we will become a global power in the sport in my lifetime.

That was fun to watch, given the Galaxy were clearly treating that like an exhibition game (all 11 starters subbed out) and Club America was going for it...a little chippy and only using 3 subs. Love it when the visiting supporters throw flares...you can smack American soccer culture all you want, at least that's not something that you see every time there's a call against your team near the supporters' section.

Two real pretty plays to give the Galaxy the win.

Penn State's Andrew Wolverton made his Galaxy debut last night for the Galaxy, too.

That's encouraging to hear.

I have to admit, i just watched the first half. My interest waned when they subbed out the starters, haha.

With Gerrard in tow, (and of course Keane) I will be attempting to watch all the Galaxy games I can.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Penn State soccer has had some very good women's players as well. Canon Mac's Taylor Schram, Maya Hayes, and Christine Nairn.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Toronto FC is a one-man team with 5 guys away at the Gold Cup...and that one man has a hat trick at half-time.

Giovinco is too good for an expansion team to handle. 3-2 TFC over NYCFC at the half...I was not expecting that.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
imagine if nycfc had shelled out Pirlo dollars on a world class center back

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
And Raul mendiola for the Galaxy looks like he is going to be a force. Hope his citizenship stuff gets favorably sorted out

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I was flipping through the channels on Sunday looking for something to watch. I was hoping to see Gerrard and David Villa in the NYCFC-Toronto game, but stayed because of Giovinco. It looked like he was toying with some of the defenders, that's how impressive he was.

@Big, judging by your avatar and some of your posts, I take it you're a big Zardes fan. I watched the 2nd half of the Haiti game, and it was the first time I'd ever seen him play. He immediately jumped out to me with his pace, skill, and technical ability. Definitely an exciting player to watch. Now, I know it was against Haiti, but is Zardes a guy that is thought of as being "skilled". Does he have the potential to play in Europe?

I think the USMNT has long had a reputation as being a team that is "Industrious", but not necessarily highly skilled or talented. Just wondering if Zardes, or any other guys for that matter, have the ability to shake that reputation for the USA

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Zardes was coming into the league around the same time I started to get really into it, so I sorta grasped onto him...only kit I have. Personality-wise he's like a small-scale McCutchen, which is awesome.

Zardes is crafty, has great pace, good awareness, he can play in a number of different positions...but I wouldn't call him someone who is bound to be a superstar or anything. He's had some trouble in tight places and tends to score his goals in bunches...if he can refine that then I can see him playing in Europe, but he's certainly not an EPL striker or anything like that. He's looked better with the USMNT this year than with the Galaxy, to be honest.

I'd kind of like to see what Zardes and Jóhannsson can do if paired together for a while...they have a dynamism that our other forwards don't have, but right now they're too easily shut down by better competition.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
For all you usynt fans, getting the chance to see mukwelle akale play for the first time and he is definitely one to watch to the senior national team. he looks like he's about 5'2 but still is somehow the fastest guy in the field with the best technical ability. ridiculous on the counter.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't know anything about soccer, but Mark Madden was saying a week or so ago that the US Womens team would get beat by a good WPIAL state championship caliber men's team.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
What a crappy performance by the usmnt against a fired up panama. up and down action but some shambolic defending and really poor linking of back 4 and midfield. yedlin just not skilled enough to be a true winger. he's where promising attacks go to die the instant he isn't sprinting for the end line and looking to get off a cross.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't know anything about soccer, but Mark Madden was saying a week or so ago that the US Womens team would get beat by a good WPIAL state championship caliber men's team.

It's safe to say Madden doesn't know a goddamned thing about soccer, so just ignore that. The USWNT would easily handle the Riverhounds.

And lol to Lampard & Gerrard being All-Stars with a combined 45 minutes of friendly action between them.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
hes still not 100% healthy. looked like he was moving in molasses most of the time.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
i love dmb, but cmon, that ship has sailed. corona offers nothing. alan gordon is some kind of joke. this roster is rapidly filling up with players that i never want to see playing for the national team again.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
and i know the overarching goal is to win the gold cup and secure the automatic admission to the confed cup ahead of the next world cup, but jesus what is wrong with our team if we cant find younger players with some upside to fill out these rosters? the 35 man preliminary roster and jordan morris's injury made better additions impossible, but that list was garbage to begin with.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Alan Gordon's head just wins games.

You can only play him about 15 minutes a game, though...but his late game form has been impeccable the past year and a half. His inclusion annoys me more as a Galaxy fan than a US fan; Gordon's presence is huge with Zardes with the NT. Guess we might see some Bradford Jamieson IV in the next couple weeks.

Corona I agree with...Beasley I'm really not sure why he was brought back, but he's better than Chandler...not saying anything there.

Klinsmann has been going with very youthful rosters for the most part, it is weird that his Gold Cup prelim roster has been dominated by veterans with little to no chance of featuring in anything more than non-FIFA window friendlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad