The Penguins aren't going away anytime soon

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Which has nothing to do at all with the quality of your prospects. I agree, you should be happy with Cups instead of prospects. But that doesn't change the fact that he's right... your prospect pool is one of the weakest in the league. Doesn't take away your championships, but your championships don't change that fact either.

I don't think the Pens have a top tier prospect pool, but I also think HF tends to underrate their prospects because they're not "big names" or high draft picks. Nobody heard of Jake Guentzel a few years ago and likely knocked the Pens' prospect pool because they lacked a top line prospect with name recognition, yet here we are with Guentzel now being better than I bet a large portion of the "name" guys from his draft class. I bet the Pens prospect pool including Guentzel, Rust, Matt Murray, etc. was seen as "one of the weakest" at the time as well.

Over the years, the Pens have done quite well at bringing in guys who contribute as full time NHLers. More so than a lot of teams who have drafted higher than them over that same time span. Yet every year it's usually the same "Pens have a weak prospect pool". At some point, people should give the Pens scouting staff credit for identifying guys who have pro upside that maybe don't look "flashy" as 18 year olds but who ultimately can add depth to the big club at some point.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Instead of getting unnecessarily defensive and overloading on the sarcasm, maybe comprehend that I wasn't disparaging the strategy.

Forgive me. I thought you meant it as an insult.

In my defense, dolts on these boards are constantly crapping on the Pens for magically sucking for 4 years before Crosby was even drafted .. like they somehow knew he was gonna be a stud and that there would be a lockout in which they would have won the lottery.

As such, my apologies for taking it the wrong way.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Which has nothing to do at all with the quality of your prospects. I agree, you should be happy with Cups instead of prospects. But that doesn't change the fact that he's right... your prospect pool is one of the weakest in the league. Doesn't take away your championships, but your championships don't change that fact either.
But it does. The Championships (mainly the B2B's) were made possible via trades involving higher round/first round picks and prospects. If you need me to breakdown those specific trades, I'll happily abide.

But here's a decent starting point if you'd care to do some digging yourself:
History of NHL trades by the Pittsburgh Penguins - NHL Trade Tracker

The Pens' prospect pool is still not nearly as depleted as some people desperately claim. Being unfamiliar with a player or them not being a first round pick doesn't mean they aren't a good prospect.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
But it does. The Championships (mainly the B2B's) were made possible via trades involving higher round/first round picks and prospects. If you need me to breakdown those specific trades, I'll happily abide.

But here's a decent starting point if you'd care to do some digging yourself:
History of NHL trades by the Pittsburgh Penguins - NHL Trade Tracker

The Pens' prospect pool is still not nearly as depleted as some people desperately claim. Being unfamiliar with a player or them not being a first round pick doesn't mean they aren't a good prospect.
Cool story.

It doesn't change your prospect pool at this time, but thanks for the history lesson.

The team has 1 top 6 forward on it that it drafted in the last 15 years. There are a couple decent prospects in the pool, but it's one of the shallowest one in the league. Of course winning titles is worth that and nobody is saying anything differently, so stop being so sensitive that people rightly point out that the Pens prospect pool is below average.

If you are so happy with your titles you wouldn't be so touchy about the lack of future stars in the organization.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Cool story.

It doesn't change your prospect pool at this time, but thanks for the history lesson.

The team has 1 top 6 forward on it that it drafted in the last 15 years. There are a couple decent prospects in the pool, but it's one of the shallowest one in the league. Of course winning titles is worth that and nobody is saying anything differently, so stop being so sensitive that people rightly point out that the Pens prospect pool is below average.

If you are so happy with your titles you wouldn't be so touchy about the lack of future stars in the organization.
Wrong again. It's okay to admit you don't know anything about the Pens prospect pool, we won't think any less of you!

Seems like there's another post above mine that responded to you that explains it pretty well. but it seems like you've accidentally glanced over it. I understand the difficulty in differentiating between high draft picks and good prospects, so I'll stop now.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Wrong again. It's okay to admit you don't know anything about the Pens prospect pool, we won't think any less of you!

Seems like there's another post above mine that responded to you that explains it pretty well. but it seems like you've accidentally glanced over it. I understand the difficulty in differentiating between high draft picks and good prospects, so I'll stop now.

Snark and humor < Facts

The post you reference also mentioned only 1 top 6 F drafted in the last 15 years. Seems that it supports exactly what I was saying but thanks for playing. I'd say that you win a prize of Pens feetie pjs.... but seems like you probably already have those. Enjoy them.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Snark and humor < Facts

The post you reference also mentioned only 1 top 6 F drafted in the last 15 years. Seems that it supports exactly what I was saying but thanks for playing. I'd say that you win a prize of Pens feetie pjs.... but seems like you probably already have those. Enjoy them.
"Top line prospect with any name recognition"
Ya missed a crucial detail!
Guentzel is likely the sole top 6 forward you're referring to which is like I said...wrong.
Supports my claim that you don't know anything about their actual prospect situation other than "never heard of him; therefore he's bad!"

My feet sure are nice and warm, thanks for the concern.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
"Top line prospect with any name recognition"
Ya missed a crucial detail!
Guentzel is likely the sole top 6 forward you're referring to which is like I said...wrong.
Supports my claim that you don't know anything about their actual prospect situation other than "never heard of him; therefore he's bad!"

My feet sure are nice and warm, thanks for the concern.
The "You don't love my team so therefor you must be dumb" shtick is lazy and pretty stupid. I suggest you try to argue facts instead of falling into that cheap out .... but I guess if you can't argue the facts, you do what you do.

Facts-
Sporting News rankings of prospect pools- PITT dead last
Hockey Writers- PITT dead last
Cory Pronman in the Athletic- PITT 28th
NHL Network Top 50 Under 25 players/Prospects- PITT NONE
Sporting News Top 50 Prospects- PITT NONE
Hockey Writers Top 100 Prospects- #78- Cale Addison #83- PO Joseph
Pronman Top 124 Prospects- #98- Cale Addison, #114 Nathan Legare

Who are all these people that just don't know the team like you do?

Or possibly, I'm just going to throw this out there..... perhaps you aren't the most objective when it comes to this. And despite your insistence that someone who thinks Pitt's pool is weak must be uninformed... maybe just maybe... you opinion is shaped more by Black and Gold colored glasses.

But hey, if you are happy with the pool, good for you.

Some people have low standards. Move goal posts. Do whatever you want. I'm done. PITT's pool is bottom 5.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
"The team has 1 top 6 forward on it that it drafted in the last 15 years."

This dude does realize that 15 years ago= 2004 right? :laugh:

Reactions: Trade

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
Once Crosby retires, which could be as soon as next year, the Penguins will regress to mean of being perennial bottom feeders.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Snark and humor < Facts

The post then must not know how to count. You realize that guys like Malkin, Crosby, and Jordan Staal were drafted in the last 15 years, right? 2019 - 15 years = 2004 draft.

If a post is going to be considered "fact", it should maybe not make such a glaring mistake like that statement?

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
not while bettman is still the commissioner of course. he'll do whatever it takes to make this franchise stay in Pittsburgh, including rigging the draft lottery in their favor to get them a generational player.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Once Crosby retires, which could be as soon as next year, the Penguins will regress to mean of being perennial bottom feeders.

Is there really anyone who thinks that crosby is retiring next year?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Is there really anyone who thinks that crosby is retiring next year?
he's a capitals fan, he's probably been hoping Crosby retires every year since '09 so Sid stops torching his team in the playoffs.
They are going to threaten to move again.
The new arena kinda puts the damper on that. Sorry to crush your dreams.
The "You don't love my team so therefor you must be dumb" shtick is lazy and pretty stupid. I suggest you try to argue facts instead of falling into that cheap out .... but I guess if you can't argue the facts, you do what you do.

Facts-
Sporting News rankings of prospect pools- PITT dead last
Hockey Writers- PITT dead last
Cory Pronman in the Athletic- PITT 28th
NHL Network Top 50 Under 25 players/Prospects- PITT NONE
Sporting News Top 50 Prospects- PITT NONE
Hockey Writers Top 100 Prospects- #78- Cale Addison #83- PO Joseph
Pronman Top 124 Prospects- #98- Cale Addison, #114 Nathan Legare

Who are all these people that just don't know the team like you do?

Or possibly, I'm just going to throw this out there..... perhaps you aren't the most objective when it comes to this. And despite your insistence that someone who thinks Pitt's pool is weak must be uninformed... maybe just maybe... you opinion is shaped more by Black and Gold colored glasses.

But hey, if you are happy with the pool, good for you.

Some people have low standards. Move goal posts. Do whatever you want. I'm done. PITT's pool is bottom 5.
Just playing devil's advocate here.... but their prospect pool was ranked bottom of the barrel going into 2015 as well. And how many of those guys came up and played a major role in back to back cups? Obviously there's no guarantees and a lot of luck/development will have to come to fruition, but Pens' fans can see the parallels between that group and this one.

not while bettman is still the commissioner of course. he'll do whatever it takes to make this franchise stay in Pittsburgh, including rigging the draft lottery in their favor to get them a generational player.
lmao

Reactions: rintinw

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
God I feel dumber for reading the crap from Capitals fans in here.

Also, I like how the argument against "scouts and fans have constantly underrated the Penguins prospect pool" is "scouts and fans think the Penguins prospect pool sucks". Like are you honestly that dense?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
For Pens fans who think their team doesn't have a bottom 5 prospect pool.

Please list 6 teams with worse prospects.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don't think the Pens have a top tier prospect pool, but I also think HF tends to underrate their prospects because they're not "big names" or high draft picks. Nobody heard of Jake Guentzel a few years ago and likely knocked the Pens' prospect pool because they lacked a top line prospect with name recognition, yet here we are with Guentzel now being better than I bet a large portion of the "name" guys from his draft class. I bet the Pens prospect pool including Guentzel, Rust, Matt Murray, etc. was seen as "one of the weakest" at the time as well.

Over the years, the Pens have done quite well at bringing in guys who contribute as full time NHLers. More so than a lot of teams who have drafted higher than them over that same time span. Yet every year it's usually the same "Pens have a weak prospect pool". At some point, people should give the Pens scouting staff credit for identifying guys who have pro upside that maybe don't look "flashy" as 18 year olds but who ultimately can add depth to the big club at some point.
Do you really think we have any players that will amount to anything more than a bottom pairing or bottom six player? Some players filled in okay earlier in the year, but we lack big impact prospects.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

For a team with a perennially terrible prospect pool, they sure graduate a lot of young players that other fanbases don’t think highly of or don’t know about.

Murray, Sheary, Rust, Guentzel, Dumoulin, Kuhnhackl, Jarry, DeSmith, Simon, Aston-Reese, Marino, Bleuger, and soon Lafferty.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
For a team with a perennially terrible prospect pool, they sure graduate a lot of young players that other fanbases don’t think highly of it don’t know about.

Murray, Sheary, Rust, Guentzel, Dumoulin, Kuhnhackl, Jarry, DeSmith, Simon, Aston-Reese, Marino, Bleuger, and soon Lafferty.
Every NHL team has a Simon, ZAR, Jarry/DeSmith, Blueger, etc. Kuhnhackl is a 4th liner, come on man.

No one outside of Pittsburgh knows or cares about most of these players.

DeSmith is 28 years old, he’s no longer a prospect. Same goes for Rust - he’s 27. Sheary is gone, my friend.

Let’s be honest, our prospect pool is bad when you are trying to say 27 and 28 year olds are prospects. Some of these other guys are merely warm bodies at this point.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Every NHL team has a Simon, ZAR, Jarry/DeSmith, Blueger, etc. Kuhnhackl is a 4th liner, come on man.

No one outside of Pittsburgh knows or cares about most of these players.

DeSmith is 28 years old, he’s no longer a prospect. Same goes for Rust - he’s 27. Sheary is gone, my friend.

Let’s be honest, our prospect pool is bad when you are trying to say 27 and 28 year olds are prospects. Some of these other guys are merely warm bodies at this point.
That's not the point. The point is that when they were all prospects, publications never ranked them highly as a group. Which ended up being very wrong. The point is that just because the current group isn't ranked highly, doesn't mean it won't produce any useful players

That's not the point, see above.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad