The Penguins aren't going away anytime soon

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Pens destroy opponents nightly, still lose in regulation. Reminds me of the Canes last year and when they first hired Sullivan.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That's not the point. The point is that when they were all prospects, publications never ranked them highly as a group. Which ended up being very wrong. The point is that just because the current group isn't ranked highly, doesn't mean it won't produce any useful players

That's not the point, see above.
It's my point.
Please list the pools you think are worse.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's my point.
Please list the pools you think are worse.

Minnesota
Calgary
San Jose
Nashville

The issue with Pitt is we likely won’t be bad enough to build our pool until Sid is done. Weird team to judge though as we’ve found multiple diamonds in the rough and typically if our prospects aren’t panning out we make a Sprong for Pettersson like deal.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Do you really think we have any players that will amount to anything more than a bottom pairing or bottom six player? Some players filled in okay earlier in the year, but we lack big impact prospects.

Did you think Guentzel would turn into a top line winger when he was 18 or 19 years old? Did you envision Murray becoming a #1 goalie when he was 19 or 20 years old? The point people are making is that the problem with ranking prospect pools and saying "so and so has a bad prospect pool" is HF heavily weights known prospects, typically high draft picks. It doesn't rate prospect pools high that have a bunch of solid prospects who are more unknown due to where they were picked.

For the record, I'm not arguing they do have a strong one. I'm just pointing out that the same thing was probably said about the Pens' prospect pool when it had guys like Guentzel, Rust, Murray, etc. still in the minors/college/junior, and look what happened. They became crucial pieces to back to back Cup champions, and surpassed a lot of higher ranked prospects at the time.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I cant believe the schedule makers put the first Caps-Pens game all the way into February

Reactions: sanscosm

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

In terms of analytics this year, the Penguins have been a downright awesome team. What's surprising is that the Penguins have been arguably the best defensive team this year, but their offense is somewhat lacking ("only" around 10th best). That probably can be explained by the forward injuries they had to start the year, though.

Last edited:

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
For Pens fans who think their team doesn't have a bottom 5 prospect pool.

Please list 6 teams with worse prospects.

Who really gives a frig anyway. I'm curious how many times the name Prospect Pool is etched into the Stanley Cup.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In terms of analytics this year, the Penguins have been a downright awesome team. What's surprising is that the Penguins have been arguably the best defensive team this year, but their offense is somewhat lacking ("only" around 10th best). That probably can be explained by the forward injuries they had to start the year, though.

I think a big part of that is the Pens don't have many high-end shooters who can consistently pick the corners or really snipe the puck. The Pens have a lot of middle tier guys who can generate a lot of chances, but don't necessarily have the finishing touch to take advantage of the shots/chances generated.

Getting Galchenyuk going, who is one of the only "depth" guys who has legit 30 goal sniping potential, would be huge for the Pens.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
The "You don't love my team so therefor you must be dumb" shtick is lazy and pretty stupid. I suggest you try to argue facts instead of falling into that cheap out .... but I guess if you can't argue the facts, you do what you do.

Facts-
Sporting News rankings of prospect pools- PITT dead last
Hockey Writers- PITT dead last
Cory Pronman in the Athletic- PITT 28th
NHL Network Top 50 Under 25 players/Prospects- PITT NONE
Sporting News Top 50 Prospects- PITT NONE
Hockey Writers Top 100 Prospects- #78- Cale Addison #83- PO Joseph
Pronman Top 124 Prospects- #98- Cale Addison, #114 Nathan Legare

Who are all these people that just don't know the team like you do?

Or possibly, I'm just going to throw this out there..... perhaps you aren't the most objective when it comes to this. And despite your insistence that someone who thinks Pitt's pool is weak must be uninformed... maybe just maybe... you opinion is shaped more by Black and Gold colored glasses.

But hey, if you are happy with the pool, good for you.

Some people have low standards. Move goal posts. Do whatever you want. I'm done. PITT's pool is bottom 5.

The rankings before 2015-16 season are harder to find but I found these:
Hockey Writers Top 100 Prospects- #33- Derrik Pouliot #70- Daniel Sprong
Hockey Writers- PIT 20th
HockeyFuture - PIT 28th
Cory Pronman - PIT 30th

That pool included:
Jake Guentzel - not ranked
Bryan Rust - not ranked
Brian Dumoulin - not ranked
Matt Murray - not ranked

and also

Conor Sheary - not ranked
Tom Kuhnhackl - not ranked

with both of them solid contributors to the SC run in the very next season (2015-16). Not saying it was great pool but I would say it was good enough to be around average in the league (which is about 10-15 places higher than ranked by 'pundits').

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The rankings before 2015-16 season are harder to find but I found these:
Hockey Writers Top 100 Prospects- #33- Derrik Pouliot #70- Daniel Sprong
Hockey Writers- PIT 20th
HockeyFuture - PIT 28th
Cory Pronman - PIT 30th

That pool included:
Jake Guentzel - not ranked
Bryan Rust - not ranked
Brian Dumoulin - not ranked
Matt Murray - not ranked

and also

Conor Sheary - not ranked
Tom Kuhnhackl - not ranked

with both of them solid contributors to the SC run in the very next season (2015-16). Not saying it was great pool but I would say it was good enough to be around average in the league (which is about 10-15 places higher than ranked by 'pundits').

It is bizarre Matt Murray wasn’t ranked after literally dominating the AHL as a goaltender which some may argue is even more difficult than doing it in the NHL.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are actually getting better in the prospect department. Keep in mind they traded away first round picks to compete for cups. It may take another couple of good drafts in building the farm but Sid and Geno eventually will be gone and no draft picks will duplicate them. But that is 3 years away. Pens are deeper, faster and the chemistry is much better. Pens are one year removed from 3 peat and will be fine.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It is bizarre Matt Murray wasn’t ranked after literally dominating the AHL as a goaltender which some may argue is even more difficult than doing it in the NHL.

Goalies, in general, seem to get overlooked on a lot of these lists. I believe Pronman, in particular, either rates them lowly or doesn't bother with them when he makes his top 50 lists.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They have the best player currently playing. Of course they aren’t going anywhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad