The Penguins aren't going away anytime soon

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
Right before the season started, too many hockey nerds were picking the Penguins to end their playoff streak this season. Too many had the Penguins below the top 16 in their power rankings, believing that their heyday was coming to an end just like it did for the Blackhawks and Kings, and even UrinatingTree picked them to miss the playoffs, although one could suspect this as an attempt at reverse-jinxing.

I get that many of us, besides Pens fans, are sick of the Penguins, as they've won the cup two out of the last five years, and are the closest thing as the moment to the NHL's equivalent of the Patriots. Last season gave many of us a sign that the Pens dynasty would be fading away, as they struggled to clinch a top 3 spot in the Metro, and got swept by an Islanders team that lacked the large quantities of playoff experience the Pens had. So surely, this has to be the year the fall out, right? Sidney Crosby's getting old, they've gotten a lot slower albeit grittier, and younger up and coming teams like the Carolina Hurricanes, New York Rangers, and New Jersey Devils looked prime to push the Pens out of a playoff spot, right? Right?

Yes, it's still really early in the season, but the way the Penguins have been playing, they would have to pull off a disgraceful choke job from here on out if they're going to miss the playoffs. In other words, it ain't gonna happen. The Pens are making the playoffs this year, the streak will continue, whether you like it or not. Not only that, but I also feel their playoff streak will not end in the near future. While it feels like Sidney Crosby's been in the game forever, he's still not that old at all, he's still under 35, is still producing in bunches, and should continue playing for the Pens until at least 2025, which is still six years down the road. That's just Sidney Crosby, never mind the fact that Jake Guentzel is a young goalscorer whom has also been excellent to start the season and is locked up until 2024. Plus there's also Kris Latang, who is locked up until 2022. Matt Murray has also been stellar in net, and should be re-signed sometime this season. Expect the Capitals to end their playoff streak before the Penguins do...

Maybe we all reverse-jinxed them by picking them to miss the playoff this year, maybe a thread like this could jinx them for the rest of the season... Nah...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Right before the season started, too many hockey nerds were picking the Penguins to end their playoff streak this season. Too many had the Penguins below the top 16 in their power rankings, believing that their heyday was coming to an end just like it did for the Blackhawks and Kings, and even UrinatingTree picked them to miss the playoffs, although one could suspect this as an attempt at reverse-jinxing.

I get that many of us, besides Pens fans, are sick of the Penguins, as they've won the cup two out of the last five years, and are the closest thing as the moment to the NHL's equivalent of the Patriots. Last season gave many of us a sign that the Pens dynasty would be fading away, as they struggled to clinch a top 3 spot in the Metro, and got swept by an Islanders team that lacked the large quantities of playoff experience the Pens had. So surely, this has to be the year the fall out, right? Sidney Crosby's getting old, they've gotten a lot slower albeit grittier, and younger up and coming teams like the Carolina Hurricanes, New York Rangers, and New Jersey Devils looked prime to push the Pens out of a playoff spot, right? Right?

Yes, it's still really early in the season, but the way the Penguins have been playing, they would have to pull off a disgraceful choke job from here on out if they're going to miss the playoffs. In other words, it ain't gonna happen. The Pens are making the playoffs this year, the streak will continue, whether you like it or not. Not only that, but I also feel their playoff streak will not end in the near future. While it feels like Sidney Crosby's been in the game forever, he's still not that old at all, he's still under 35, is still producing in bunches, and should continue playing for the Pens until at least 2025, which is still six years down the road. That's just Sidney Crosby, never mind the fact that Jake Guentzel is a young goalscorer whom has also been excellent to start the season and is locked up until 2024. Plus there's also Kris Latang, who is locked up until 2022. Matt Murray has also been stellar in net, and should be re-signed sometime this season. Expect the Capitals to end their playoff streak before the Penguins do...

Maybe we all reverse-jinxed them by picking them to miss the playoff this year, maybe a thread like this could jinx them for the rest of the season... Nah...
Nobody was picking them to miss the playoffs, just not be the powerhouse they have been, but do you feel good to get that all off your chest?

Reactions: Bferra13

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Nobody was picking them to miss the playoffs, just not be the powerhouse they have been, but do you feel good to get that all off your chest?

I don’t know about hockey pundits, but in a regular season prediction pool I have with two other friends the Pens were placed 6th, 8th (my prediction) and 12th in the East. So I know at least some people who predicted them to miss, maybe partly due to the presumption that they are slightly top heavy with question marks in defence. This added to the fear that they wouldn’t get healthy seasons from Malkin, Crosby and/or Letang may cause people to not put them in the playoffs.

Not saying the Pens are a bad team by any means, but there are no teams guaranteed to make it to the playoffs before any given season. Some teams are, however, extremely sure to miss the big show even before the season begins.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
These young guys will eventually hit a wall. They still have Gudbranson and Johnson making way too much. Rutherford loaded up this team with bottom six talent, but not a lot outside of Guentzel, Crosby, diva Malkin in the top six.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
source.gif

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Yeah pump the brakes a bit. Its 7 games in and while they are playing well, the young guys will certainly slow down a bit. There is very little chance they all keep it up all season. The injuries will eventually catch up with them. How bad a toll it takes remains to be seen. But it's not likely that this pace continues. Id LOVE it if it happens and maybe its just me being pessimistic but they are bound to slow down.

I certainly didnt pick them to miss the playoffs but I dont think they are a TRUE threat for the cup. Sure, if they catch lightning in a bottle (like, HBK in 2016), then sure, anything can happen. But a few things have to fall into place before I believe them to be a true contender.

But, as they say, once the playoffs start, anything can happen. Look at the Blues .. who would have picked them last year? Not many but they played hard, got a few bounces, and took it home. Could it happen to the Pens? Sure. Could also happen to the other 15 teams.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I get that many of us, besides Pens fans, are sick of the Penguins, as they've won the cup two out of the last five years, and are the closest thing as the moment to the NHL's equivalent of the Patriots.

There is nothing remotely comparable about the reaction or hate for these franchises lol. The vast majority of people really don't care about Pittsburgh, while basically everyone hates the Pats.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Oh yeah? Well they're in tough tonight, because the Dallas Stars are in town.

Honestly it might be perfect timing. I'm expecting a blowout for the home side, maybe something that'll finally get the GM or owner to make a move and wake these ****ers up. :laugh:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Its been 7 games. Lets get a few more games under our collective belts before we start to declare who's in and not.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I'm not surprised they got off to a hot start. It's an old team and they certainly didn't show up in the playoffs last year, so they had a long offseason to rest and refresh. It'll be interesting to see where they are 50-60 games in when the grind of a season start to take its toll.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They’re not going to cruise to the playoffs with what they ice for the next game that’s for sure.

That said, i think the injuries were a blessing in disguise. Forced the team to play their best and find that identity right away.

Like i talked in the summer, i was expecting big things from the Pens this year and really liked the moves they made. Team looks closer to the 15/16 team than the past couple years, only needed the right mindset.

They look really good, it’s the Pens hockey that won the cup especially in that first year, that coming at you in waves feel. Now ideally they keep playing the same way and as guys start getting back to the lineup they don’t change anything.

Reactions: KeepitinPitt

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
the penguins arent winning cup any time soon . but they would win sooner if they traded away their big guns now and started a rebuild . its what so many good teams of the past should have did but held onto their stars just to throw away bunches of great futures they could have got for them . trading sid and malkin today would near completely restock them for a new contending team .

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
the penguins arent winning cup any time soon . but they would win sooner if they traded away their big guns now and started a rebuild . its what so many good teams of the past should have did but held onto their stars just to throw away bunches of great futures they could have got for them . trading sid and malkin today would near completely restock them for a new contending team .

Ya that’s silly logic.

The Pens fell off the last couple seasons because JR went insane and got away from the philosophy Sullivan preached in his quest for size and toughness.

The Pens could most certainly compete for the cup again, but it all depends on a half crazed GM not self-sabotaging his team.

Only a fool would try and predict what could happen with the Pens because JR is so bipolar.

8LX7psQ

Apr 13, 2010

When did “nerds” become a thing onHF? Is this a millennial thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad