The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Not sure the "clown show" is deserved. I actually think the Titans have done a really good job bringing in character guys. The last 2 incidents involved a total of 2 players. It's Tretola's second incident.
I am referring to the franchise in General. They screw up fan relations, drafted Mariota, hire a Coach that has an awful record, a inexperienced GM, draft a WR from the MAC with a top 5 pick. It's entertaining to say the least.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I am referring to the franchise in General. They screw up fan relations, drafted Mariota, hire a Coach that has an awful record, a inexperienced GM, draft a WR from the MAC with a top 5 pick. It's entertaining to say the least.

You're entertaining, in the same train wreck kind of way you imagine the Titans are.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
All of which are seen in a positive light by nearly everyone.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Ok? Fan relations screw up is about the only thing that could potentially hold water here.

Mariota has lived up to the billing so far.

That coach with the awful record went 9-7 in year 1 and missed the playoffs by 1 game. Which you could argue had Mariota not gotten hurt, they make the playoffs.

That inexperienced GM was groomed by arguable the best GM in the NFL and has made some pretty damn good moves so far (highlighted by getting Demarco Murray for essentially free)

Because he played in the MAC it's a bad pick right? I guess Randy Moss was a bad pick then since he played at Marshall. Or Antonio Brown because he played at Central Michigan. Or Khalil Mack because he played at Buffalo. Or Ben Roehtlisberger because he played at Miami Ohio. If you can play the NFL, you can play in the NFL. It doesn't matter where you went to school.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Ok? Fan relations screw up is about the only thing that could potentially hold water here.

Mariota has lived up to the billing so far.

That coach with the awful record went 9-7 in year 1 and missed the playoffs by 1 game. Which you could argue had Mariota not gotten hurt, they make the playoffs.

That inexperienced GM was groomed by arguable the best GM in the NFL and has made some pretty damn good moves so far (highlighted by getting Demarco Murray for essentially free)

Because he played in the MAC it's a bad pick right? I guess Randy Moss was a bad pick then since he played at Marshall. Or Antonio Brown because he played at Central Michigan. Or Khalil Mack because he played at Buffalo. Or Ben Roehtlisberger because he played at Miami Ohio. If you can play the NFL, you can play in the NFL. It doesn't matter where you went to school.
That poster rips the Titans for everything possible even when, clearly, it's patently wrong. I think Mariota is really good but if he's not someone's cup of tea for some reason, whatever. By the way what a coincidence that a Pac 12 "running" QB in Locker flopped and was replaced by another Pac 12 "running" QB. (That was the biggest myth of that draft class/college season, the idea that Mariota was a running QB.) Wonder where the bias comes from? If people want to hang onto Mike Mularkey's past records (even though the best QB he ever previously had is Ryan freakin Fitzpatrick) then, fine I guess. I disagree with the premise but if someone thinks a small school player shouldn't be drafted that high, I can understand the thought. Where I "draw the line" and stop giving credibility to someone is when they hate on Jon Robinson. It's just lazy. He's "inexperienced" but he has immediately turned the franchise around with aggressive and productive moves. And I'm sure it's no coincidence that he spent years in New England being one of 5 or 6 people personally handpicked by Belichick to be in the Patriots draft room on a yearly basis. He was single-handedly responsible for drafting Gronkowski. Anyway, ripping the GM just seems lazy and uninformed.

And by the way that wasn't all directed at Gnashville, it was just on certain fans in general.

Last edited:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

I will just stop talking now that you have suggested that drafting Mariota and hiring Jon Robinson were "clown moves". Mariota has yet to throw a pick in the redzone and Robinson has churned the roster to the point where Pro Football Focus just rated it 3rd in the NFL behind Atlanta and New England. Why does it matter where a player played his college ball? You seem to be suggesting that guys who didn't play in Power 5 conferences can't excel in the league.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I will just stop talking now that you have suggested that drafting Mariota and hiring Jon Robinson were "clown moves". Mariota has yet to throw a pick in the redzone and Robinson has churned the roster to the point where Pro Football Focus just rated it 3rd in the NFL behind Atlanta and New England. Why does it matter where a player played his college ball? You seem to be suggesting that guys who didn't play in Power 5 conferences can't excel in the league.

You can't win a Mariota argument with him. It's impossible.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
There have been so many garbage attempts to put down Mariota since before he was even drafted. I remember before the 2015 draft someone basically said "the lack of negativity around him could be a red flag."

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
They screw up fan relations,

Every franchise in every sport does this at some point.

drafted Mariota,

I await your theory on who they should have drafted instead.

hire a Coach that has an awful record,

And has never had a team nearly as talented as the one he's going to have in 2017. I was not happy about the Mularkey hire either, but he has an opportunity to prove himself that he really hasn't had before.

a inexperienced GM,

Sure beats the Panthers firing David Gettleman and replacing him with the guy who drove that franchise into the ground in the first place. Besides, an inexperienced GM needs to get experience somewhere.

draft a WR from the MAC with a top 5 pick.

I get that you haven't seen Corey Davis play; I have. Several times. He is legit.

Jerry Rice and Steve McNair went to Mississippi Valley State and Alcorn State. The best pros don't always come from the biggest schools.

If you don't like the Titans, just say you don't like the Titans and spend your time doing more productive stuff. I couldn't care less about them, but I'll give them credit for working hard to turn the franchise around after the awful twilight years of Bud Adams.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
There have been so many garbage attempts to put down Mariota since before he was even drafted. I remember before the 2015 draft someone basically said "the lack of negativity around him could be a red flag."
Most comparisons were to Johnny Football before the draft.
I will give him credit he's has more character than that guy.
But the player comparison is close.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

giphy.gif

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We have to be getting trolled, right? Because no one who actually watches and understands football can compare Mariota to "Johnny Football" while keeping a straight face.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
We have to be getting trolled, right? Because no one who actually watches and understands football can compare Mariota to "Johnny Football" while keeping a straight face.
Their systems were similar in college, so they played the relatively same style (although Manziel ran for as many yards in two seasons as Marcus did in three, so advantage Mariota) but it's wildly obvious Mariota is a far superior actual football player. Very little comparison to be had after the college days ended. Marcus fumbles quite a bit but other than that he has progressed in just about any way you could ask a young QB to do. Pretty laughable.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm only barely conscious of the NFL's existence and even I know that this is a ludicrously absurd comparison.

(Although it helps that Manziel did his final burnout in Ohio.)

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Folks, just don't engage in Titans conversation with Gnashville or Nitrous Mafia. There is literally NOTHING the organization could do that would make either of these posters say something positive.
Yes there is!!

win a SUPER BOWL

Hell just Beat the stinking Colts

But just showing improvement and that they want to win would help.
I actually started buying in last year then they choked vs JAX and beat Houston's JV team in a game they should have lost!!
Looking at the schedule I just don't see 6 wins

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yes there is!!

win a SUPER BOWL

I actually started buying in last year then they choked vs JAX and beat Houston's JV team in a game they should have lost!!

Titans went from 2-14, to 3-13, to 9-7 and you don't consider that "showing improvement"?

tenor.gif

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Yes there is!!

win a SUPER BOWL

You don't see 6 wins on a schedule that NFL experts are predicting the Titans to win between 9-12?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Yes there is!!

win a SUPER BOWL

If by "just showing improvement" you mean showing undeniable improvement, then sure. If by "that they want to win" you mean hiring an in-demand GM that turned down other teams before signing with the Titans and then implementing his Patriots mindset into the organization by doing things like letting go of guys who don't buy in like DGB and Kendall Wright, sure.

If they make the playoffs and lose in the first round will that still be the fault of the GM, coach, Mariota and the clown show? My team has gone 56 years with no Super Bowl. I can't imagine you being a fan of a team that hasn't won much over an actual fairly long amount of time.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
If by "just showing improvement" you mean showing undeniable improvement, then sure. If by "that they want to win" you mean hiring an in-demand GM that turned down other teams before signing with the Titans and then implementing his Patriots mindset into the organization by doing things like letting go of guys who don't buy in like DGB and Kendall Wright, sure.

If they make the playoffs and lose in the first round will that still be the fault of the GM, coach, Mariota and the clown show? My team has gone 56 years with no Super Bowl. I can't imagine you being a fan of a team that hasn't won much over an actual fairly long amount of time.

If that is what he thinks of the Titans I'd hate to hear what he thought about the Preds up until this season. Been around about the same time and the Preds had 0 division titles, 0 conference titles and 3 playoff series wins all time, none past the 1st round.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If that is what he thinks of the Titans I'd hate to hear what he thought about the Preds up until this season. Been around about the same time and the Preds had 0 division titles, 0 conference titles and 3 playoff series wins all time, none past the 1st round.
I was going to ask why the Preds seem to get a pass and the Titans don't

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
If he thinks the Titans are a clown show, I'd love to know what he thinks of the Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad