The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Good to see the Titans and Preds supporting eachother finally.

YDA9gNu.gif

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
My friend already wanted to kill two birds with one stone and get a Mariota Preds jersey so, maybe now that he knows what it looks like......

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
What funny about that is he is doing it in front of Jones

Until I saw that I never realized how much better the Predators color scheme really was. I would love to see the Titans wear a tribute to the Stanley Cup Champions Jersey next fall.

Considering I would rank Mariota as the 5th or 6th biggest sports star in Nashville and the only Titan in the top ten, It's nice to see him embrace the winning team.

Hopefully Weber does not show him what really getting hit is like.

Last edited:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Considering I would rank Mariota as the 5th or 6th biggest sports star in Nashville and the only Titan in the top ten, It's nice to see him embrace the winning team.

Hopefully Weber does not show him what really getting hit is like.

Who in the world is in front of Mariota as a sports star in Nashville? No one. That is why having him at the game was such a big deal.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Who in the world is in front of Mariota as a sports star in Nashville? No one. That is why having him at the game was such a big deal.
Nobody. The Preds have players more elite at their positions than Mariota is right now, but it's still the NFL and he's the biggest in town.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Weber, Gray, Price, Josi, Rinne are all top elite players in their sports.
Mariota is not even top 20 in his.
Being great doesn't necessarily equate to how big of a star you are. It's all about popularity. Justin Beiber sucks at making music but he's a super star.

Gray and Price don't play here. The NFL will always have more star power than the NHL and MLB, especially more than the latter when our city doesn't even have a team. I get that Sonny Gray is from here but his "star power" is minuscule compared to Mariota. In Oakland where he actually plays, Gray probably ranks below the last guy on the Warriors bench no matter how good he is.

If Mariota sucked he would be Jake Locker. He doesn't, therefore he's the biggest star in town because he plays the most popular sport at the most high profile position. You'd likely be hard-pressed to find an American city with a team in which a non-NFL player is the biggest star in that city in favor of a hockey or baseball player.

BTW, I think Brandt Snedeker should be on your list.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Being great doesn't necessarily equate to how big of a star you are. It's all about popularity. Justin Beiber sucks at making music but he's a super star.

Gray and Price don't play here. The NFL will always have more star power than the NHL and MLB, especially more than the latter when our city doesn't even have a team. I get that Sonny Gray is from here but his "star power" is minuscule compared to Mariota. In Oakland where he actually plays, Gray probably ranks below the last guy on the Warriors bench no matter how good he is.

If Mariota sucked he would be Jake Locker. He doesn't, therefore he's the biggest star in town because he plays the most popular sport at the most high profile position. You'd likely be hard-pressed to find an American city with a team in which a non-NFL player is the biggest star in that city in favor of a hockey or baseball player.

BTW, I think Brandt Snedeker should be on your list.
I disagree the Titans have been horrible and have a reputation of screwing the fans over. I see more excitement for the hockey team than the Titans. Price is a huge star in baseball and represents the city of Nashville/Vanderbilt in his appearances. Gray does to a lesser extent. Is E. Manning or Jeter a bigger star in New York? How about Jay Cutler over Towes, Kane, or Kris Bryant in Chicago?

Snedeker would be below Mariota but still in my top 10. If he ever wins a major it would help.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I disagree the Titans have been horrible and have a reputation of screwing the fans over. I see more excitement for the hockey team than the Titans. Price is a huge star in baseball and represents the city of Nashville/Vanderbilt in his appearances. Gray does to a lesser extent. Is E. Manning or Jeter a bigger star in New York? How about Jay Cutler over Towes, Kane, or Kris Bryant in Chicago?

Snedeker would be below Mariota but still in my top 10. If he ever wins a major it would help.
If not playing here still makes you eligible to be a star here that's a different thing altogether.

The Preds are better, but the Titans are a far bigger deal. That's why I'll continue to say Mariota is the top dog in town. Obviously I don't live in Chicago so I don't know how they feel but I have a friend who is from there, a huge Hawks and Cubs fan but still says the Bears are the biggest team in town by far. Some cities aren't going to be the same as others but I can't be convinced that if someone went around to all parts of Nashville and the surrounding areas and polled 1,000 people who their favorite athlete connected to Nashville is, that any Preds would end up near the top and that Mariota wouldn't.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Weber, Gray, Price, Josi, Rinne are all top elite players in their sports.
Mariota is not even top 20 in his.

The Titans are by far the most popular team in town and Mariota is by far the most popular player. No one on the Preds or Vandy baseball teams come close. Price and Gray don't even play in Nashville anymore.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah, Titans and the NFL are still kings but I wouldn't be hard pressed to say always.

Football is losing the younger generations to other sports now. Parents concerned over head injuries push their kids more towards baseball, basketball, and soccer.

I the quote from Field of Dreams seems to be accurate "Eventually they always return to baseball"

Boxing was king, basketball had it's time too and now NFL but I wouldn't be shocked to see baseball return as top dog.

As far as best players from Nashville, yes, I'd agree
Mookie Betts, David Price, Sonny Gray, RA Dickey, and Brandt Snedeker but like it or not, all those guys will probably be trumped soon by Jalen Ramsey.

Star player status for guys that actually play here? Mariota would have to top the list, probably followed by DeMarco Murray and Delanie Walker, maybe even Derrick Henry. Weber and Rinne would be on the list right after those guys though, maybe even before Walker.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Yeah, Titans and the NFL are still kings but I wouldn't be hard pressed to say always.

Football is losing the younger generations to other sports now. Parents concerned over head injuries push their kids more towards baseball, basketball, and soccer.

I the quote from Field of Dreams seems to be accurate "Eventually they always return to baseball"

Boxing was king, basketball had it's time too and now NFL but I wouldn't be shocked to see baseball return as top dog.

Mookie Betts, David Price, Sonny Gray, RA Dickey, and Brandt Snedeker but like it or not, all those guys will probably be trumped soon by Jalen Ramsey.

Star player status for guys that actually play here? Mariota would have to top the list, probably followed by DeMarco Murray and Delanie Walker, maybe even Derrick Henry. Weber and Rinne would be on the list right after those guys though, maybe even before Walker.

I completely disagree. I know baseball has by far the oldest fanbase of any sport. I am 25 and of my friends almost all are at least casual football fans and basketball fans. A decent number are casual Preds/hockey fans and only a couple watch any significant amount of baseball. I am a sports freak and I watch more soccer than baseball.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

You may want to look a the head injuries in Soccer before letting your kids play. Also the cancer issue with the fields in Soccer.

Football is the most overrated sport out there no doubt. ESPN gives it way way too much attention. It's popularity is a product of the media, limited quantity of games, and fantasy sports. Baseball has been declared "dead" multiple times yet every team draws millions of fans per year. The average age of a Baseball fan is 53 and that means it dying but the NFL's average fan age is 47 and that means it's growing.
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15469632

I include everyone with Nashville ties when I think of Nashville sports. Seriously I highly doubt anyone can pick Jalen Ramsey out a lineup but David Price is everywhere.

Last edited:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
You may want to look a the head injuries in Soccer before letting your kids play. Also the cancer issue with the fields in Soccer.

Football is the most overrated sport out there no doubt. ESPN gives it way way too much attention. It's popularity is a product of the media, limited quantity of games, and fantasy sports. Baseball has been declared "dead" multiple times yet every team draws millions of fans per year. The average age of a Baseball fan is 51 and that means it dying but the NFL's average fan age is 47 and that means it's growing.

I include everyone with Nashville ties when I think of Nashville sports. Seriously I highly doubt anyone can pick Jalen Ramsey out a lineup but David Price is everywhere.

Agree to disagree. Walking into Neyland on a big time football Saturday is a downright religious experience for me.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Jalen was just drafted a week ago, David just signed one of the largest contracts in history.

I'mean sure there are head injuries in soccer, but it's not in the headlines. Parents are sheep.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but baseball is thriving in Middle Tennessee. Having said that, I spend 7 days a week with baseball so I have a different view.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Jalen was just drafted a week ago, David just signed one of the largest contracts in history.

I'mean sure there are head injuries in soccer, but it's not in the headlines. Parents are sheep.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but baseball is thriving in Middle Tennessee. Having said that, I spend 7 days a week with baseball so I have a different view.

Middle Tennessee is thriving in everything. Football, soccer, baseball, lacrosse, hockey...there isn't a sport that isn't in much better shape than it was a decade ago in this area.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I wish I had the sports options my kids have. My son is in the Lead Off Baseball Academy, he has access to personal lessons in pitching, hitting or position work, and access to hitting/pitching tunnels 7 days a week.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Wouldn't be shocked if the Chargers take a flier on him to be a potential replacement for Rivers in a couple years if he's willing to sit for a little while. I'm not necessarily saying we should, but we need to start grooming someone behind Rivers and Whisenhunt is back as the OC and obviously likes him. Probably won't have much of a productive career, but he'll land somewhere. Like my friend said, if Alex Tanney can find work, Mettenberger sure will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad