The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I concur with the above. Part of the college experience is game day ON CAMPUS. If they're having trouble with kids getting there on time now, they will have real trouble if they move off campus. Part of the alumni experience is coming back to campus and reminiscing about their time there. That's just a bad move. My recollection is there is some green space near there, maybe baseball fields? Seems like they could take over some of that property to expand what they have presently and move the ball fields into the stadium to share space. It's rare that the two sports overlap. As for soccer, I think the best move there would be to build a dedicated facility, either on the outskirts of town (Bellevue, Antioch, White's Creek, Brentwood) or even the East Nashville side of the river going down to Inglewood or Madison, and bring in attractions for before and after the game.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Vanderbilt doesn't have to enough students (only 10k) and the ones there are not interested in football enough to worry about the atmosphere. The majority of the Vandy fans do not or have never attended Vandy so having it on campus is not life or death, moving it to an area with better access might actually increase the attendance.

I'd bet there's an announcement on a mix use stadium for Vandy/Soccer to the fairgrounds.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Vanderbilt doesn't have to enough students (only 10k) and the ones there are not interested in football enough to worry about the atmosphere. The majority of the Vandy fans do not or have never attended Vandy so having it on campus is not life or death, moving it to an area with better access might actually increase the attendance.

I'd bet there's an announcement on a mix use stadium for Vandy/Soccer to the fairgrounds.

I have about as concrete a source for this that there is without the last name Ingram. Vandy is going to play in any new MLS stadium if there is to be one built. That's part of the deal.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have about as concrete a source for this that there is without the last name Ingram. Vandy is going to play in any new MLS stadium if there is to be one built. That's part of the deal.

A ground share between MLS & Vanderbilt would mean no MLS in Nashville. The league is in a position where it doesn't have to consider an arrangement where MLS isn't the clear primary tenant, which would be a terrible arrangement for Vanderbilt anyway, since they'd be moving to a stadium that will likely be smaller than MTSU's.

Vandy is not Texas Southern or Portland State; if it wants a new stadium, it has the donor prospects to get it done and should raise the money its damn self.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
A ground share between MLS & Vanderbilt would mean no MLS in Nashville. The league is in a position where it doesn't have to consider an arrangement where MLS isn't the clear primary tenant, which would be a terrible arrangement for Vanderbilt anyway, since they'd be moving to a stadium that will likely be smaller than MTSU's.

Vandy is not Texas Southern or Portland State; if it wants a new stadium, it has the donor prospects to get it done and should raise the money its damn self.

How would a team that only plays 6-7 home games be considered the primary tenant in that situation?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Shea Weber: 14 years, $110 million

John Wall: 4 years, $170 million

is the NBA really that popular that they can support salaries like that?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

NHL has a roster of 23 and the NBA 15. 1 player can play 3/4th of a game but an NHLer can play at most 1/3rd. But the current TV contract is insane and might kill ESPN

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Because of ridiculous TV rights fees, the answer right now is yes- but that bubble is going to burst soon and it will be very interesting to see how it all shakes out.

What I find completely fascinating is not only the big money the stars get, but even just average players get obscene amounts (Such as JJ Redick getting something like $23 million this season).

If the NHL was equal to the NBA in salary, Victor Arvidsson would be making $24 million a year instead of $4 million.

I think I read somewhere that the highest paid player in the league (McDavid) would be something like the 70th highest paid in the NBA.

Crazy.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Spending ESPN's money is too easy for the NBA.
ESPN bubble is about to burst and the NBA is going to regret these contracts.
Sadly ESPN has become nothing but NBA and NFL (mixed with political commentary) and all other sports are given only a backhanded coverage. Honestly in June and July 24/7 NFL coverage is overkill.

Last edited:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I used to watch Baseball Tonight every night on ESPN. Now it's only on Sunday before their game of the week which typically features either the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants or Cardinals (and sometimes two of these teams.)

So yeah, ESPN can **** off.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I used to watch Baseball Tonight every night on ESPN. Now it's only on Sunday before their game of the week which typically features either the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants or Cardinals (and sometimes two of these teams.)

So yeah, ESPN can **** off.
Is NBC's NHL coverage any better?
Rangers, Blackhawks, Crosby, Philly, Bruins, Wings almost every night.

Baseball is barely covered by ESPN anymore. It's a joke that they care more about Dak Prescott's bathroom habits than baseball. Fact is while they are always touting baseball death, by claiming the average baseball fan's age is 50 but the average football fan's age is like 45. And baseball's product is improving while football's is very mediocre over half the games are blowouts and most late season games are meaningless. The teams that have clinched a playoff spot sit everyone and aren't trying and the ones out of it barely try either.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
US with their best game of the tournament easily tonight. Nagbe running the Ticos ragged, Dempsey playing the super sub and Howard was a rock.
The US was a force last night. I know Costa Rica isn't a world power but impressive showing regardless. When Dempsey came on it was an entirely different game.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
How would a team that only plays 6-7 home games be considered the primary tenant in that situation?

Had a long, detailed post but "the token expired," whatever the hell that means.

The long and short of it is, MLS wants teams to have absolute control over their long-term venues. If someone's building a stadium from scratch, they want to be involved in every part of the process to shape it for the soccer team to succeed, even if that comes at the expense of other prospective tenants. The size of the stadium, the type of playing surface, down to the signage in the venue, they want to control all of it. If Nashville wants to split that control with an SEC football team, that sort of partnership is anathema to MLS. None of the other 11 bids have the same kind of strings attached, so Nashville will be passed over by MLS if Vandy is firmly attached to the stadium proposal.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Vandy would be crazy to sign on to a venue-share deal. Vandy would NOT be crazy to make sure that got floated, appropriate "no comments" are made from the "influencers", so that the actual big-money vandy fans and donors can prepare to write the checks necessary to bring that barely adequate for Div II football complex into the 21st century SEC. The MLS thing doesn't matter a bit regarding Vandy FB - they need the stadium upgrades/replacement, and they need it now.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
So a backup O lineman get shot in the foot at the club last night. His 2nd "incident" this offseason. Welcome to the clown show that is the Tennessee Titans.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So a backup O lineman get shot in the foot at the club last night. His 2nd "incident" this offseason. Welcome to the clown show that is the Tennessee Titans.
27 NFL players have been arrested this offseason. Tretola is not on the list because he hasn't even been arrested for anything and the last time a Titan was arrested was September 2015. Since the last Titans arrest there have been 57 others across the league. This is not a Titans problem by any stretch of the imagination.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
27 NFL players have been arrested this offseason. Tretola is not on the list because he hasn't even been arrested for anything and the last time a Titan was arrested was September 2015. Since the last Titans arrest there have been 57 others across the league. This is not a Titans problem by any stretch of the imagination.
Agreed the entire NFL is becoming a joke and until they start cutting players for these actions it won't stop. Name any other job where being arrested will not get you fired immediately?

But the 1st incident with Sharpe was crazy, beating up a fan over the draft. Don't get me wrong the guy was running his mouth to a pro athlete and accepted the invite to fight, but they should have just walked away instead of issuing the beating.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Not sure the "clown show" is deserved. I actually think the Titans have done a really good job bringing in character guys. The last 2 incidents involved a total of 2 players. It's Tretola's second incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad