The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Wouldn't be shocked if the Chargers take a flier on him to be a potential replacement for Rivers in a couple years if he's willing to sit for a little while. I'm not necessarily saying we should, but we need to start grooming someone behind Rivers and Whisenhunt is back as the OC and obviously likes him. Probably won't have much of a productive career, but he'll land somewhere. Like my friend said, if Alex Tanney can find work, Mettenberger sure will.

You called it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That's spelled DESPERATE.......... Great arm, mediocre head, miserable mobility - that is not a great combo for an NFL QB.
There was absolutely no risk to it. Philip Rivers has 4 years left on his contract and has never missed a start in 10 seasons (even when he played an entire game with a torn ACL). The hope is that Mettenberger can be a backup for a while, grow and learn from him over time and could maybe be his successor down the road. If he doesn't, oh well.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm just annoyed about this, so I'm going to post this here...the damn Padres are 1-18 in series finales this season. It's almost impossible to not just accidentally win 2 of them.

I understand much of this Preds fan base endures some pretty bad baseball right now, being in the territory of the Braves and Reds, and with our Wisconsin friends putting up with the Brewers currently....but I had to vent about that as a fan of my own terrible team.

Cardinals fans....go complain about your "bad season" in the winners circle somewhere.

....and speaking of baseball, man, what a brutal end to the suddenly-meaningless Vanderbilt season. That had to be so hard for them to go through.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This is more life than sports but bear with me.

Losing class mates in your youth is just the worst. No one feels the unmuted pain quite like a teenager who has never experienced it. My (HS) graduating class was just bombarded with weird deaths from about 8th grade til around the end of college. A heart attack, suicide, cancer, murder, drowning, leukemia, car accident...it kind of ran the gamut. The first one that I knew well was really difficult to deal with. I dreamed about him constantly for weeks after it happened and would wake up screaming. After awhile we stopped wondering which one of us was next and got on with life, but out of around 140 people we lost 10% before our 5th reunion.

It sort of slowed down for awhile and then started up again in earnest, but while it's never easy to say goodbye to old friends it does help when they've had a chance to live life for awhile. Still, we never know what day will be our last or those of our loved ones so make those amends and tell each other you care while you can.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
You may want to look a the head injuries in Soccer before letting your kids play. Also the cancer issue with the fields in Soccer.

Football is the most overrated sport out there no doubt. ESPN gives it way way too much attention. It's popularity is a product of the media, limited quantity of games, and fantasy sports. Baseball has been declared "dead" multiple times yet every team draws millions of fans per year. The average age of a Baseball fan is 53 and that means it dying but the NFL's average fan age is 47 and that means it's growing.
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15469632

I include everyone with Nashville ties when I think of Nashville sports. Seriously I highly doubt anyone can pick Jalen Ramsey out a lineup but David Price is everywhere.

I played soccer from 11 to 55 and personally saw 4 head injuries as a player or spectator. Two were people banging heads going for a ball and the third was somebody hitting the steel goal post with their head. None were seriously injured. I was tripped as a teenager and banged the back of my head on the ground. Two persons probably had concussions from all of that. They didn't play anymore in those games as a safety measure. That was in the 1970s and 1980s respectively. If all kids coaches were that cautious back then, there shouldn't be many problems now. You aren't supposed to collide with other players in soccer. It happens by accident. Usually both players are looking at the ball and don't see each other.

I have read a study or two that suggested loss of a few IQ points from headers. I believe that if you hurt yourself on a header, you aren't doing it correctly. You are supposed to use your forehead and not the top of the head. My friend who showed me one study in 1990, has a PhD in chemistry. I have an MS Chem. We agreed that soccer players are a little "dingy" to begin with. That might hide some brain injury issues (a low signal to noise ratio as we say in Analytical Chemistry). Since I retired from soccer, I started playing trivia. The best so far is 5th place in the state of Wisconsin out of 120 teams. I think I still have my faculties.

As far as cancer goes, if you don't treat your fields with Milorganite, made here in good old Milwaukee, you probably won't have many problems. The high metals content seems to cause problems for kids and adults. The SF 49ers used to use it on their practice field. They had 3 players get brain cancer in the 80s and 90s. That had to be more than a simple coincidence! It isn't that common.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I was up early today and saw the local news on Ch 4 in Milwaukee (NBC) at 5 and 6 AM. They ran a brief story about one of the Vandy football players (Vandenberg?) being found guilty of rape plus a few other crimes yesterday. I remember seeing that story posted here and on TV when I was in Nashville at Easter time.

The report said it took 4 hours for the guilty verdicts to come in. (I served on a jury a few years ago. It took us double that amount of time to convict one guy of being a felon in possession of a firearm) My case had only 4 witnesses, so this guy must had a mountain of evidence against him to have the jury come back so fast.

The reporter stated that he could get 30 years. That is quite a contrast with the swimmer from Stanford who seemed to do the same thing and got 6 months from the guy who won't be a judge for more than one more term!

IIRC, there was a second football player involved at Vandy. Has he had his trial yet?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm just annoyed about this, so I'm going to post this here...the damn Padres are 1-18 in series finales this season. It's almost impossible to not just accidentally win 2 of them.

I understand much of this Preds fan base endures some pretty bad baseball right now, being in the territory of the Braves and Reds, and with our Wisconsin friends putting up with the Brewers currently....but I had to vent about that as a fan of my own terrible team.

Cardinals fans....go complain about your "bad season" in the winners circle somewhere.

....and speaking of baseball, man, what a brutal end to the suddenly-meaningless Vanderbilt season. That had to be so hard for them to go through.

The Brewers are near .500, although they are 3-7 in the last 10 games. Chris Carter has boosted the offense and the Brewers have a new pitcher who has done well.

I grew up as a Reds fan. I remember the Big Red Machine of the 1970s. They went to 4 World Series and won two. They tied the record for the NL with the NY Giants of 1920 and 1921 by winning back to back in 1975 and 1976. Nobody has tied that in 40 years, which is kind of a crazy record. I predicted 95 losses this season for the Reds. They have already lost at least 10 games in a row this season.

I am shocked that the Braves are the worst team in the NL. After having that big run of division championships from the 1990s and after, with only a WS win over Cleveland to show for it. That is also unbelievable.

The Cards fans are knowledgeable, but can be obnoxious. Maybe it is social media, because I don't remember that in the 1970s and 1980s. I have my own issue with the Cards. A few years ago, a Brewers player hit a walk off homer against them. Some of the Brewers came out of the dugout to greet him at home plate. They untucked their jerseys. That was a "thing" that season. The Cards manager said that it was a violation "of the unwritten rules of baseball" and suggested that they could expect a bean ball game the next day. I don't know when the Cards became the arbiters of all things baseball. I thought that we had umpires, league offices and a Commissioner to handle all of that work. The Cards used to be a classy organization. I don't know what happened, but you can drop the "cl" as far as I am concerned.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I was up early today and saw the local news on Ch 4 in Milwaukee (NBC) at 5 and 6 AM. They ran a brief story about one of the Vandy football players (Vandenberg?) being found guilty of rape plus a few other crimes yesterday. I remember seeing that story posted here and on TV when I was in Nashville at Easter time.

The report said it took 4 hours for the guilty verdicts to come in. (I served on a jury a few years ago. It took us double that amount of time to convict one guy of being a felon in possession of a firearm) My case had only 4 witnesses, so this guy must had a mountain of evidence against him to have the jury come back so fast.

The reporter stated that he could get 30 years. That is quite a contrast with the swimmer from Stanford who seemed to do the same thing and got 6 months from the guy who won't be a judge for more than one more term!

IIRC, there was a second football player involved at Vandy. Has he had his trial yet?
Four "players" are involved. Two had their own trials (Vandenburg and another), were found guilty, but it was thrown out because some moron on the previous jury didn't disclose that he had been a statutory rape victim. So, this was a retrial and the verdict probably came in so fast because this jury likely knew what they needed to know and didn't need much time in settling the verdicts.

The third and fourth guys haven't had trials yet if I recall correctly. Even though it's all terrible, I'm pretty sure the charges against the other two guys are....uh...not as horrendous as Vandenburg and Batey, but I may be wrong.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
The Tennessean had a slightly cleaned up version of what happened to the victim. It was absolutely disgusting.i have to wonder who taught these young animals to treat a woman this way? Parents, please make sure your children know that they are human beings not toys to be used for someone else's gratification.

I believe the other have pled guilty and are awaiting trial.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Gretzky's son-in-law finally won a major, despite another controversial penalty being assessed to him after the fact. I can't imagine what would have happened had he lost by a shot.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Well, even Clevelanders now know an emotion I've never felt, which of course, is winning a championship in something. Anything. I don't have a clue what that's like and quite honestly have never come close.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well, even Clevelanders now know an emotion I've never felt, which of course, is winning a championship in something. Anything. I don't have a clue what that's like and quite honestly have never come close.

its amazing. I have been alive for 4 UK national championships and three Reds WS wins. Sports fan heaven... you get the whole offseason to be happy.

Seems like a lot of cities/teams that have been waiting for a long time are getting it done... I really want the Cubs to win the WS this year, that should take care of all the longsuffering franchises/cities.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
its amazing. I have been alive for 4 UK national championships and three Reds WS wins. Sports fan heaven... you get the whole offseason to be happy.

Seems like a lot of cities/teams that have been waiting for a long time are getting it done... I really want the Cubs to win the WS this year, that should take care of all the longsuffering franchises/cities.
False. I'm a Padres and Chargers fan, and people don't know this because no one pays attention and would care, but with the Cavs title, San Diego is now king city of the championship drought, playing 109 (I believe) professional seasons with no title between 2 NBA teams that moved, and the Padres and Chargers currently. The Padres have played since 1969 and only made the World series twice and the Chargers have made one Super Bowl since they joined the NFL in 1970 and got blown out. The Chargers won an AFL championship in 1963 but that's irrelevant these days.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
False. I'm a Padres and Chargers fan, and people don't know this because no one pays attention and would care, but with the Cavs title, San Diego is now king city of the championship drought, playing 109 (I believe) professional seasons with no title between 2 NBA teams that moved, and the Padres and Chargers currently. The Padres have played since 1969 and only made the World series twice and the Chargers have made one Super Bowl since they joined the NFL in 1970 and got blown out. The Chargers won an AFL championship in 1963 but that's irrelevant these days.

I'm sorry. I meant teams/cities that anybody gives a **** about :sarcasm: :laugh:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My friend from HS lives outside of Dayton in Bellbrook OH. He's a basketball fan of sorts, though he's more for U of Dayton than pro I think. But since it was such a longshot for them to win, and since his happiness makes me happy, what the heck--Go Cleveland. See, this goes back to what I described a few days ago with ranking of teams that aren't teams I love, like the Preds or UT... Tim is so dear to my heart that he beats out my friend from third grade who lives in California and adores Steph Curry. Sorry Elsa!

I watched the last 10 minutes of the game. LeBron James' reaction was worth devoting a half hour of my life to this activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad