The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercalius

Apr 23, 2013
Grizzlies took a pivotal game 5 in LA tonight to make the series 3-2. Have a chance to end the series on home court.

The PH Factor

Mar 18, 2013
Washington, DC
I went to Memphis last year and this guy started up a conversation with my friend and myself at a restaurant downtown. After a couple of exchanges he asks where we're from. When we say Nashville he goes "Ya'll (Nashvillians) are too uptight to really enjoy Memphis!"

So yeah, there's a fair bit of animus there.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Grizzlies took a pivotal game 5 in LA tonight to make the series 3-2. Have a chance to end the series on home court.
Hope they can do it!

I'm not a basketball fan, but I look at the standings from time to time to see where Memphis is at. I like to see a team from TN doing something good. And because they came from Vancouver I especially want them to do well here.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I just came from the Titans caravan here in Crossville. I don't understand why the Preds do not do more of this. They never leave Nashville for their stops if they make any at all.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I just came from the Titans caravan here in Crossville. I don't understand why the Preds do not do more of this. They never leave Nashville for their stops if they make any at all.

they used to do it every fall. My son and I met Adam Hall and Vokoun in Clarksville back in 2001 or 2002.

Mercalius

Apr 23, 2013
Memphis beat OKC tonight to take a 3-1 series advantage. Huge win for the Grizzlies.

Mercalius

Apr 23, 2013
Memphis advances to their first ever Western Conference Final tonight. :handclap:

Wait now, I got blasted for supporting them a week or so ago when they were about to edge past the Clippers ;)

Really though, huge win tonight - and I'm so stoked that the franchise is reaching a milestone it never has before. Having lived in Memphis and Middle TN both, I've always been annoyed by the rivalry that's existed between the two areas - naturally, the national bandwagon is going to run with some Grizzlies hype from here on out (after taking out the Clips and Thunder, both supposed title contenders weeks ago), but I'd really like, naively, for all of TN to get behind the home team. I know Memphis isn't Nashville. Hell, it's not even Murfreesboro or Cool Springs, but it's its own little special slice of Tennessee. The BBQ, Beale Street, Memphis in May, Gus's Chicken (to die for)...geographical preferences aside, I think any native of the state has some appreciation of the above. Let's show some support for the basketball team reaching a milestone they've never achieved before, and hope for the best. It's best for the city, best for the state, and will go a long, long way to making the hockey offseason go by a lot faster.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Wait now, I got blasted for supporting them a week or so ago when they were about to edge past the Clippers ;)

Really though, huge win tonight - and I'm so stoked that the franchise is reaching a milestone it never has before. Having lived in Memphis and Middle TN both, I've always been annoyed by the rivalry that's existed between the two areas - naturally, the national bandwagon is going to run with some Grizzlies hype from here on out (after taking out the Clips and Thunder, both supposed title contenders weeks ago), but I'd really like, naively, for all of TN to get behind the home team. I know Memphis isn't Nashville. Hell, it's not even Murfreesboro or Cool Springs, but it's its own little special slice of Tennessee. The BBQ, Beale Street, Memphis in May, Gus's Chicken (to die for)...geographical preferences aside, I think any native of the state has some appreciation of the above. Let's show some support for the basketball team reaching a milestone they've never achieved before, and hope for the best. It's best for the city, best for the state, and will go a long, long way to making the hockey offseason go by a lot faster.

Huge Grizz fan and couldn't be happier to see the team achieving this kind of success. Hope they can give a real strong show in the WCF and find a way to face Miami in Finals.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I've been a Grizzlies fan since their Vancouver days...never could get into the Raps, so when Vancouver got screwed I pretty much inherited Memphis as my "team" - whenever I felt like following the NBA, anyways. :laugh:

Chances are they're facing the Spurs next, and if they can repeat their series win from two years ago, we're looking at a Grizzlies team in the NBA Finals!

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I've been a Grizzlies fan since their Vancouver days...never could get into the Raps, so when Vancouver got screwed I pretty much inherited Memphis as my "team" - whenever I felt like following the NBA, anyways. :laugh:

Chances are they're facing the Spurs next, and if they can repeat their series win from two years ago, we're looking at a Grizzlies team in the NBA Finals!

You won't get many Nashvillians cheering for the Grizzlies, due to their pent up frustration/anger/piss & vinegar due to the fact that Nashville has got the Titans & the Predators.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
It's great to see the Grizzlies succeeding, and from what I've seen of them this year, they have a fantastic team. Gasol is one of the best big men in the league, Mike Conley has made major strides to get better, and they play a team-oriented brand of basketball with heavy emphasis on defense that makes them an enjoyable contrast from the three-dunk-three-dunk show the NBA has devolved into. In terms of getting coverage here, though, Memphis and Nashville might as well be on different planets. The NBA in general is an afterthought in Middle Tennessee media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad