OT: The Original OT Thread - Chit chat, Raiders, Rebels, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Sens scored.

Finally.

I've always thought attending one of these outdoor games would be great, but I see it was 11 degrees at puck drop, feeling like one below. I used to sit outside in some pretty cold and awful weather for football back in the day. Even remember being near-hypothermic for an Indiana-Wisconsin game one time...could not stop shaking. But it was a good game and close, so I had to stay. :laugh:

No way I could do that anymore. I start to chill when the temp drops into the 70s!

My late brother-in-law went to the outdoor game between the Hawks and Wings when it was at Wrigley a while back, and he enjoyed it.

But he also enjoyed ice-fishing. :D

Reactions: Aja

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Completely OT even for an OT thread, but why are the GDT tags red now... I don't like change,

They're standardizing colors across the site, I think.

I also prefer blue. Well, I prefer everything be Knights colors, but blue works too.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I dig Sci-Fi. If I'm getting super detailed, I like dystopian-type movies and parallel universe stuff, which are usually Sci-Fi-ish. Stuff like V for Vendetta, Total Recall, or the TV show Fringe for the parallel stuff.
V for Vendetta was written by my favorite author for the last 35 years, Alan Moore. He also wrote The Watchmen, From Hell, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and he created the character Constantine.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL

I finally got around to watching Season Two of True Detective. Compared to Season One, it's not that great, but there's a musician named Lera Lynn who's pretty good. Her music reminds of the Cowboy Junkie's groovy hit re-make of the VU classic Sweet Jane. I also like Lou's classic Walk on the Wild Side.

Reactions: hangman005

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Finally.

I've always thought attending one of these outdoor games would be great, but I see it was 11 degrees at puck drop, feeling like one below. I used to sit outside in some pretty cold and awful weather for football back in the day. Even remember being near-hypothermic for an Indiana-Wisconsin game one time...could not stop shaking. But it was a good game and close, so I had to stay. :laugh:

No way I could do that anymore. I start to chill when the temp drops into the 70s!

My late brother-in-law went to the outdoor game between the Hawks and Wings when it was at Wrigley a while back, and he enjoyed it.

But he also enjoyed ice-fishing. :D

The cold isn't the worst of it really, its the horrible view. At least when you play in a football stadium the angles work better even if you are a long way from the ice. They really need to stop with the baseball stadiums, the viewing angles suck. You end up reacting to the other fans who happen to have the best view.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
The cold isn't the worst of it really, its the horrible view. At least when you play in a football stadium the angles work better even if you are a long way from the ice. They really need to stop with the baseball stadiums, the viewing angles suck. You end up reacting to the other fans who happen to have the best view.
I was at the first Winter Classic in Buffalo and hope to get to the USA/Canada game in the World Junior Championships next week at New Era Field. It is an experience to go to. When it started snowing during the game it was great. The hockey itself can suffer but the atmosphere was outstanding.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
What are your top 5 classic rock (you can include Blues and Jazz if you want) albums? I'll take:

1. Exile on Main St
2. London Calling
3. Kind of Blue
4. Are You Experienced?
5. Born to Run

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What are your top 5 classic rock (you can include Blues and Jazz if you want) albums? I'll take:

1. Exile on Main St
2. London Calling
3. Kind of Blue
4. Are You Experienced?
5. Born to Run
I hate getting clumped up with the millennials due to my birth year (1982.) However, I am 100% millennial in this case. Unless an album came out in the 90s and was grunge/Metallica, I didn't listen to it as an album. I'm a song to song guy for the most part, which kind of makes me sad.

Last edited:

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.

1. Exile on Main St
2. London Calling
3. Kind of Blue
4. Are You Experienced?
5. Born to Run

Hard to argue with any of these choices.

Except Born to Run. My opinion of Springsteen has already been duly noted and prevents me from putting any of his music on a "best" list. :thumbd: Sorry, can't separate the music from the man, especially given that his music is so personal and his early work now rendered so clearly hypocritical.

Moving on... :laugh:

Now keep in mind these choices vary from the earlier thread that asked "If You Could Listen To Only One..." since they may not all be favorites of mine but I do think they have a place on a list such as this.

In no particular order (insert drum roll):

- Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall (choose)
- Led Zep IV
- A Night at the Opera
- The Doors
- White Album

Reactions: The Big D and Aja

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Hey guys! Thanks for posting. How about your top 5 songs of this century? I'll take:

1. Bring me to life
2. Welcome to the black parade
3. The diary of Jane
4. Seven nation army
5. Chop Suey!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Got on the freeway this morning and within half a mile NHP had 8-10 cars pulled over. Nowhere for them to hide so you'd think after the first 4 or 5 you'd see all the flashing lights ahead and slow down :dunno:

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Whassup, bros. I'm currently listening to the albums The Clash, Dookie, and Nevermind (Remastered). Sean Patrick's X-Mas break started and we're playing an anime game called Persona 5. It's not too shabby. Later, dudes.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Whassup, bros. I'm currently listening to the albums The Clash, Dookie, and Nevermind (Remastered). Sean Patrick's X-Mas break started and we're playing an anime game called Persona 5. It's not too shabby. Later, dudes.

What is Sean Patrick's Christmas Break?

I'm stuck with Christmas music 10 hours a day and hockey for the rest of the time, I've got like three non-Christmas songs I could even think of off the top of my head right now.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I went into a shop and they were playing "Wonderful Winter Land" I turned around and walked out in disgust... Though it is the middle of summer here so most Christmas songs are redundant.

Disclaimer: The preceding story may be entirely made up... except the summer thing, Christmas in summer sucks.

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
What is Sean Patrick's Christmas Break?...
My son's X-Mas break. As I think of them, I'll post some songs I think you might have posted. ;)

Smells like teen spirit
Under the bridge
Black hole sun
Losing my religion
Loser
Everlong
Creep

Last edited:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Spacehog - In The Meamtime
Toadies - Possum Kingdom

That's more my speed, though the chances of me skipping over any of those songs if they came up on shuffle are pretty slim.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Hey guys! Thanks for posting. How about your top 5 songs of this century? I'll take:

1. Bring me to life
2. Welcome to the black parade
3. The diary of Jane
4. Seven nation army
5. Chop Suey!

Just because I'm old, and we've been dwelling on classic rock doesn't mean I don't like more current music.

I do!

Here's five (not really my top five, as that would take more concentration and analysis than I'm capable of, but ones that come to mind pretty quick).
In no particular order, and don't laugh! :nono:

- Here's To Us
- I Am The Fire
- Viva La Vida
- Sex On Fire
- Call It What You Want

I said don't laugh! :laugh:

Elvis P

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Meet_the_Beatles.jpg

Just because I'm old, ...
Just because you were born the year that album came out doesn't mean you're old! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad