OT: The Original OT Thread - Chit chat, Raiders, Rebels, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Who are your top 7 major league athletes to never win a ring? I'll take Charles Barkley, Ty Cobb, Karl Malone, Dan Marino, Alex Ovechkin, John Stockton, and Ted Williams.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Ty Cobb...wow.
The three problems with using the playoffs to judge players is that: 1. Some players played in an era where only one team from each league made the playoffs such as winning the pennant in baseball. 2. Some players played in an era where only the division winners made the playoffs such as the Bears competing in the same division as the dynasty Packers who had Bart Starr lead them to five titles and he still has the highest playoff QB rating of all time, higher than Tom Bradys. The Bears' Butkus and Sayers are both considered arguably top 5 all time at their position, but they never played in a playoff game. 3. Some players play their whole careers for bad teams and never get a chance to play in the playoffs.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'd have Iginla in their somewhere.
There are many greats: Ullman, Thornton, Sundin, Stasny, Sittler, Salming, Ratelle, Perreault, Park was an eight-time runner-up for the Norris Trophy and four of them were to a guy named Bobby Orr, Oates, Neely, Lundqvist, Lindros, LaFontaine, Kariya, Joseph, Hunter, Housley, Hawerchuk, Gartner , Dionne, Ciccarelli, Bure, Alfredsson.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Scott Thornton, right?

He did win the Battle of the Blades.

Or did you mean Shawn Thornton (no relation).

(Joe Thornton is still playing. Not retired, yet.)

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Lavar Ball gets much media attention. but pulling two teenagers out of school, sacrificing their education and college scholarships, so they can play in Lithuania against grown men for $500 a month may not be a goat father move.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits, The Moody Blues, and Nina Simone got in the Rock and Roll HoF. One of the many criteria I use to decide whether a classic rock band's music has stood the test of time is whether they are still played on the radio. The top eight are: Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, AC/DC, Aerosmith, ZZ Top.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.

Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits, The Moody Blues, and Nina Simone got in the Rock and Roll HoF. One of the many criteria I use to decide whether a classic rock band's music has stood the test of time is whether they are still played on the radio. The top eight are: Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, AC/DC, Aerosmith, ZZ Top.

The Who, Queen, Def Leppard, Boston, Styx (post-DeYoung).

Others that are mostly a bit less rockin' but still worthy and are among my favorites include Eagles and Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks, as smokin' as a 69-year-old can be).

I guess the list could go on a bit yet!

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and Aja

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If you have Directv, Joe Buck is interviewing Brett Hull at 8 ET. I love the History of Hockey so much I only posted in that forum my first five years here and when I became a Mod I didn't realize Page 2 existed! :huh: :confused::eek: :oops: o_O :laugh:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Joe Buck gets so much hate I almost can't stand to watch/listen to him anymore.

I never actually disliked him much, I've just read and heard to many complaints I've mysteriously turned into a hater.

Reactions: SniperHF and Aja

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Joe Buck gets so much hate I almost can't stand to watch/listen to him anymore. I never actually disliked him much, I've just read and heard to many complaints I've mysteriously turned into a hater.
He does seem to have a natural arrogance which is unwarranted in my perception. My all time favorite Bob Costas went into the HoF today!

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
My favorite show is Mr Robot. I like the weirdness, but sometimes the plot seems circular rather than linear. / I never slept alone until I got married. ;)

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
My favorite show is Mr Robot. I like the weirdness, but sometimes the plot seems circular rather than linear. / I never slept alone until I got married. ;)
Mr. Robot is great.

I was a little disappointed in the season finale, just not enough answers. Still one of my favorites. It's not Breaking Bad, but it's in the same conversation.

Reactions: Aja

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Mr. Robot is great. I was a little disappointed in the season finale, just not enough answers. Still one of my favorites.
Agreed.

It's not Breaking Bad, but it's in the same conversation.
I like Better Call Saul and Fargo better. They are my other top three shows.

If you could only listen to one album, what would it be? I'll take Exile on main street.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
christmasbrows-1024x539.png

Christmas brows. Are they cool? Do you have them?

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Not in the same vein as the TV shows just mentioned, but I would recommend "Brockmire" to those who may not have seen it yet. Just one season so far on IFC, but coming back next year for season two.

Hank Azaria. :thumbu:

Amanda Peet. :)

Funny as heck.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Agreed.

I like Better Call Saul and Fargo better. They are my other top three shows.

If you could only listen to one album, what would it be? I'll take Exile on main street.
"Rollin'." Bay City Rollers. :biglaugh:

Just one album, hmmm. That is tough! This would have been a lot easier a couple years ago, and I would not have hesitated to say Springsteen's "Born to Run," as I used to think it was one of the greatest American rock albums ever. Plus, as I was born/raised in New Jersey, it had great personal meaning to me during my slightly wayward youth. ;)

But Springsteen is now "persona non grata" to me owing to his gross hypocrisy regards certain issues.

Therefore, I will nominate...wait for it...

"Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" by Derek and the Dominoes! And this is simply because I think "Layla" is one of the finest rock songs ever written.

I might also throw in "Sheer Heart Attack" by Queen, "Pyromania" and "Hysteria" by Def Leppard, and...

Oh, just one...

Sorry! And sorry to the other artists whose albums I was getting ready to list. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad