The Optimistic Thread

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Huh? That makes zero sense. We literally have no one at center. Zajac should not be a 1C and Henrique is garbage at C and should be a LW.

Center spots are wide open.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Ill admit when I'm wrong. I'll be honest I didn't realize McLeod was above 60% and Speer's as well. So we have the two best centerman when it comes to faceoffs in the OHL. With that said you can learn how to improve your faceoff ability. I'm also big on on building down the middle and I like big centerman who can hit and wear defenses down during a playoff series. I have no problem with him being a centerman, but let's see who we draft first. Plus I still want us to develop Zacha as a center because he has so much more value there, even if he sacrifices a few points. We also still have Zajac, Quennville, Blandisi and even Henrique capable of playing center.

I just don't want the only reason we stop developing Zacha as a centerman is because McLeod is good on faceoffs. Zacha was drafted as a centerman he's more skilled with better vision and I really want to see him play center all year next season. Let's see if he can sink or swim at that position. Who knows what Hynes is thinking though.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Huh? That makes zero sense. We literally have no one at center. Zajac should not be a 1C and Henrique is garbage at C and should be a LW.

Center spots are wide open.

Yeah I agree their wide open, but I think it's a mistake to write Zacha off ever being a center. Our best and most skilled prospect, who was drafted as a center should be given every chance to become an NHL center. We have centerman we just don't know if we have a number 1 centerman and I'd bet everything I have that Zacha has a better chance at becoming a first line center than McLeod. We also need to remember we could end up drafting a high end center in this draft. We shouldn't think any of our young players or prospects having a position on lockdown.

This organization always lacks elite centers. In 2000 and 2001 it was depth at center with Arnott, Gomez, Holik and Madden. All great hockey players but never elite. When's the last time we had a really elite center Kirk Muller?

Last edited:

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Does anyone else feel like this offseason has a hell of a lot of potential. I mean I can see like 4 or 5 big moves that would all be possibilities. Sure, I don't expect all of them to be made, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shero pulls a couple off. Here is what I'm most excited about...

Offer-sheet Drouin- Let's assume we don't try to trade for Drouin, but Shero can and should offer sheet him. It's hard to imagine Yzerman fitting him, Palat and Johnson under the cap and it's possible that Yzerman wouldn't match a 7 year deal at 6.5 mil for Drouin. I think he probably would, but another option is a 5 year deal at 7 mil or even 7.3 mil. It's hard to imagine Yzerman matching that, and it's not like we don't have the cap space. To top it off a 5 year deal would only mean we give up 1 1st, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd...not much for Drouin.

Go after Shatty- If I'm Shero I would offer Shatty a deal that he has a hard time refusing. I think something like 6 years at 8mil would be hard for him to turn down. There's really no way that a team like the rags can match that and it's hard to imagine him turning down what could be an extra 9 million with an offer like that.

Target Dumba/Brodin in a trade- This one might be tricky, but if the Wild are open to trading either I have to think Shero will be interested.

Sign and trade Kovy- This one is self explanatory. If Kovy wants to return to the NHL we can pick up some nice assets in return for him.

There are a lot of other less obvious options such as shopping Henrique or our 1st (if we don't win the lottery) for a Dman, or taking on a cap dump and pick/prospect from a team like Chicago. Whatever happens I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing what Shero does and am very optimistic as it's rare for there to be so much potential improvement during a single off season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I believe that offer sheet compensation is only for a maximum of 5 years. For example, if we got Drouin to somehow sign a 7 years/49 million ($7 mill AAV) offer sheet, for compensation purposes it would really be 5 years/49 million ($9.8 mill AAV) which would fall under the 4 firsts bracket.

they never happen in the NHL though so its silly to talk about. All the other things you brought up certainly seem like they are at least possible, though.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I believe that offer sheet compensation is only for a maximum of 5 years. For example, if we got Drouin to somehow sign a 7 years/49 million ($7 mill AAV) offer sheet, for compensation purposes it would really be 5 years/49 million ($9.8 mill AAV) which would fall under the 4 firsts bracket.

they never happen in the NHL though so its silly to talk about. All the other things you brought up certainly seem like they are at least possible, though.

You're right about it being over 5 years which is why I mentioned $7 mil or 7.3 mil over 5 years. Offering that much over 7 would not work as we'd have to give up 4 1sts. I can't realistically see how Yzerman can match a 5 year deal at $7 mil or more. It would make it almost impossible to resign Kucherov. He'd literally have to move Callahan and Johnson if he would expect to sign Drouin at 7 mil along with Palat and have space for Kuch. Even then it's probably extremely difficult unless Kuch and Palat take discounts.

The only hesitation I'd have over offering 7.3mil over 5 years is that it might open the doors to other teams offer-sheeting us, but it's the sort of deal that Yzerman can't match unless he works a miracle.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

giphy.gif

Still on cloud nine

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This is my "I'm bored and I should be studying for my finals" attempt at next years team. Take on all the cap-dumps and picks with it:

Expansion Casualty: Jon Merrill

Draft Day Deals:

Cory Schneider + San Jose 3rd for #3 overall + Kari Lehtonen
Devante Smith-Pelley + Devils 2017 2nd + Devils 2017 4th for #14 + Ryan Callahan (Doubtful, but this is the optimistic thread :laugh:)
Draft Patrick at #1, Heiskanen at #3, and a faller at #14.

Devils would then have #1, #3, #14, Boston 2nd, Colorado 3rd, Nashville 4th, NJ 5th, NJ 6th, Nashville 6th, and NJ 7th.

July 1st:

Sign one of Steve Mason, Brian Elliot, or Jonathan Bernier to 3 year 4 million AAV
Ilya Kovalchuk for Nick Bjugstad + 2018 conditional 2nd round pick (condition being Bjugstad's production say 40+ points it's a 2nd round pick, otherwise nothing).

Team:

Hall - Bjugstad - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Cammalleri
Henrique - Patrick - Callahan
Wood - McLeod - Bennett
Blandisi - Noesen (Coleman if McLeod doesn't make team)

Greene - Severson
Heiskanen - Lovejoy
Moore - Santini
Prout

UFA goalie
Lehtonen

With Bennett, Noesen, and Blandisi all making 950 or less and Severson signing for an AAV of 4.275, there's still around 6 million in cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad