The Optimistic Thread

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
.Alright I feel like there's a lot of negativity floating around. So I felt like starting a thread based on what we have to look forward to as an organization, but with my luck a moderator will combine this with another thread. I'm the eternal optimist I feel like being a pessimist is a waste of time and sports should never stress you out.

These are the reason why we should be much more optimistic than a lot of other organizations who have similar records at the moment. We have a plethora of first year talent who are only going to get better; Santini, Zacha, Blandisi and Wood.

The core of our team is in its mid 20s and they're signed to reasonable contracts; Hall, Henrique, Palmieri, Severson, Merrill, Noeson, Joefson, Schneider and even Zajac I'll count, although he's s few years older. Greene still has a few years of good hockey left too.

The two guys everyone want gone Lovejoy and Cammalleri will both be gone in two season. So we got like $8 million in cap hit coming off the roster from them too. That doesn't even count the guys like Savard, Quincy and Parenteau coming off the books this offseason. We're going to have so much cap space that we could over pay. Only if we're a talking about the best free agents or take on a contract or two from teams who need to under the cap.

We know what we need we need a top line center, top 6 RW and a top pairing defense. We could do it in in free agency or trades. We're gonna be picking top 5 and will have 9 other picks. After this draft we'll have a very good prospect pool. Which means more assets to trade. Also have 9 more in 2018.

Even before this draft we got really good talent within our prospects. McLeod, Blackwood, Bastian, Anderson, Rykov, White, Speers, Quennville, White, Coleman, Pietilla, Gignac and you can go on we have good prospects. Not even counting the four in the NHL who are still technically prospects.

We know what we need and we just have to go about doing it. After this draft I'd be totally willing to trade futures and high quality futures to get what we
need. The future is not bleak and were closer to being a playoff team than many other organizations.

The reason I think we can make the difference is if you look at the standings we're a 6 game win streak from being in the playoffs and if we lose a couple were picking 3rd overall. The east is top heavy and we can make the playoff as early as next year with a couple tweaks.

Don't care if anyone thinks I'm being unrealistic, better than being negative about everything and crying about it. I can't be the only fan filled with optimism when it comes to this organization.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Good thread, hope it stays open (I'll withhold any further comment on the megathreads because I have been infracted before for my opinions on them).

I'd like to agree with your sentiments, and while I think Schneider is just having a down year or sorts, the whole timing thing there concerns me. He singlehandedly cost us a lottery pick twice when we needed that and I fear the regression may start when we actually need the elite goaltending. Thoughts?

As I tend to comment on off ice stuff, should note that attendance these last 5 seasons really hasn't fallen off a cliff. There's no threads dedicated to us on BoH like Arizona, Florida, Carolina and even Ottawa. We have fans, they show up (more so on weekends); can only hope this is bottom of the barrel both on the ice and in the stands.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
To the post two above. For some reason I can't quote. I've actually grown on the idea of trading Schneider. If we could get a first line center. Goalies are pretty available, there's a ton of good ones and although I'm not rooting for the trade of Cory I could live with it.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Amen to the above.

However, game 7 against the Canes in 2009......that would be a different story :laugh:

Yeah that hurt. I mean more long term.

Someone in the ranger GDT yesterday said were gonna be bad for 40 years and they were dead serious. Some of the things I read are so rediculous.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Yeah that hurt. I mean more long term.

Someone in the ranger GDT yesterday said were gonna be bad for 40 years and they were dead serious. Some of the things I read are so rediculous.

Some are just emotionally irrational without looking at the full picture and you just gotta laugh and keep scrolling - like you mentioned, what good does negativity bring to the table, it is useless and does little.

When an organization is in the times like we are and have been for several years, you really can't have many expectations. I was a bit guilty coming into this season of that, having expected at least to build off of last season which I don't believe was too much to ask for. Unfortunately steps have gone a bit backward, but what are you going to do. All you can really do is hope to keep somewhat competitive the rest of the year and for positive changes to come in the off season.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Some are just emotionally irrational without looking at the full picture and you just gotta laugh and keep scrolling - like you mentioned, what good does negativity bring to the table, it is useless and does little.

When an organization is in the times like we are and have been for several years, you really can't have many expectations. I was a bit guilty coming into this season of that, having expected at least to build off of last season which I don't believe was too much to ask for. Unfortunately steps have gone a bit backward, but what are you going to do. All you can really do is hope to keep somewhat competitive the rest of the year and for positive changes to come in the off season.

Yeah it's like why even watch if all this brings is pain and negativity. Also at the same time I don't want to be unrealistic. I just think we have a good core of mid 20 year olds and very effective first year players. Add a top 5 pick which is what we're looking at we will have plenty of assets along with 9 other picks. I also have a ton of faith in free agency this year. We're not a primary destination of course. If we gotta throw an extra million a year at a great player, I can live with it. Our cap space is tremendous this off season, with Cammalleri and Lovejoy coming off the books in the next year or two. We're in a good position and idk why people don't recognize this.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Rebuilding is new to me but it's exciting. I became a Devils fan as a kid when they beat the Wings for the cup. My family watched hockey lots and all commented on how the Wings were so much better. I latched onto the team then and became obsessed with Brodeur as I was a goalie in minor hockey. Needless to say, I grew up watching a team that was a threat each and every season for the most part. A rebuild is foreign to me as a fan of the Devils.

It all went downhill with the loss of Parise and Kovy, although both could be argued due to contracts. While this year has been a disappointment, its better than watching the team of slugs between 2013 and 2015. Remember when we all tried to convince ourselves Clowe, Ryder, Havlat, and Brunner were good additions? Fun times!

Zacha has been a treat to watch this season no matter what the prospects board says. You can see a future top 6 player. He is physically gifted and has the smarts to be real good. Miles Wood is an absolute wrecking ball who is already being game planned by opposing teams. He will have to learn how to adjust his game but his toolbox is special. Severson has had his ups and downs but I am not concerned. He's a top 4 D who should be a consistent 30-40 point threat in his prime. Santini is an absolute gem. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I truly believe he will be on our top pair sooner than later. He will look great next to a top 4 PMD.

McLeod, Speers, Anderson, and Gignac are turning heads in the CHL while Rykov would be drooled over if he was a prospect of a more popular team. Quenneville has impressed in his first year as a pro. Lappin has done the same. He's back to tearing up the AHL. Don't forget about Blandisi who is a pest and flashing as a playmaker.

The Hall and Palmieri trades by Shero were magnificent and I'm very interested in what he is going to do at the deadline and in the off season. Its a weird time to be a fan. I know I'm not the only one who's not accustomed to rebuilding. I have chosen to embrace it. Before you know it, the Rock will be rockin' night in and night out.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Those with patience know that we have the chance to be inevitably rewarded if we play our cards right. Plenty of cap space, plenty of draft picks, a better prospect pool than we've had in some time and some quality players we've acquired in trades. The pieces are there, we just need to fill in the remaining spots. How we do there will determine how soon we get out of the rebuild.

I am an eternal optimist so I feel good about the plan.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Auvitu will be here this week!

Hopefully.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
McLeod, Speers, and Q should all be fighting for spots in camp and have clear NHL potential. I'm looking forward to the next steps in the building up

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Our friend Jason MacIsaac has the optimism train rolling on Rykov. On the prospects board, he says Rykov has top pairing potential. Now if that doesn't get you giddy...

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Our friend Jason MacIsaac has the optimism train rolling on Rykov. On the prospects board, he says Rykov has top pairing potential. Now if that doesn't get you giddy...

Wow

For a 5th? Now we'll be antsy waiting for him to come over

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Yegor Rykov...potential top pairing all situation defensmen in 5th round.

Arguably the top Russian defensmen at the WJC the last two years. Mainstay on the top KHL team blueline (essentially an allstar team). Rykov is a steal. Even if I compare him to 2015 draft picks the only ones I would take over him are Hannifin, Provorov, Werenski, Carlo and Chabot.

These deserve to be posted here. I think anyone who watched Russia at the WJC was impressed with Rykov.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nice to know people are thinking about me

Post of the thread :nod:

If this stays open, I'll be living in here. :laugh:

I'm all for more optomism here, this place could use it...ironically right now I'm more optomistic about the team than I am in people avoiding the temptation to be debbie downers in this thread. Especially with the odd timing of starting this.

I just hope between the expansion draft, our cap space and draft pick stock there will be some big things happening this offseason. And with Castron there's every reason to believe this team can draft better in the coming years whatever level of pick they wind up getting.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
To the post two above. For some reason I can't quote. I've actually grown on the idea of trading Schneider. If we could get a first line center. Goalies are pretty available, there's a ton of good ones and although I'm not rooting for the trade of Cory I could live with it.

Even as a huge Schneider fan I have to agree. We aren't going to win it all with Cory, the team doesn't have the manpower in other areas. Trade Cory for a king's ransom if one is to be found. Break the old rules and trade him to Philly or the Islanders if need be!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad