The Optimistic Thread

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I'm optimistic about our cap situation.

Me too. I'm optimistic that we will have a top two pick, that we have a decent shot at signing Zach Aston-Reese and a decent shot at Shatts in the off season. I also hope that McLeod and Speers make the jump next year.

I have faith in Shero and Castron to make the most of our insane amount of first-third round draft picks the next two years whether it be by trading them, or striking big on the picks themselves.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
There is plenty to be optimistic about. We have two good pieces to build around in Hall and Schneider. Yes, this season has shown that hockey is the ultimate team sport and good players cannot carry you, particularly good goaltender. Our D was a mess going in and we hoped Cory would bail us out. It didn't happen, but it doesn't mean he can't go back to being an elite goalie with a competent defense.

The recent losing streak is, yes, a sign of optimism. It shows that management is not taking any more half measures (insert Breaking Bad quote here). They traded away solid vets like Kalinin, Fiddler, Parenteau, and Quincey for minimal return. Yes, the return may have been disappointing but taking away the solid defensive guys means management truly doesn't care about this season, which they shouldn't. We have an opportunity to get a top draft pick. Let's hope they end up finishing 2nd.

The kids might not be looking great, but they are being put in a tough situation in a sort of trial by fire. My main hope is that we start losing games 3-4 instead of 0-1. I'd like to see some good offense develop. If we let in a bunch of goals, who cares?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Merrill's season this year kind of reminds me of Lars from 14-15, where at the beginning of the year, it was close to completely writing the guy off, then a couple months in the ship is righted.

Yeah Merrill is further in on the process, but he was also a lower pick.

After Gelinas flaming out, and then trading Lars we needed Merrill to find his game. Not only to fill a LHD spot, which was looking scary weak, but also to get that young d foundation back into respectable shape. Sev's, Santini Merrill is a good base to work around.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Merrill's season this year kind of reminds me of Lars from 14-15, where at the beginning of the year, it was close to completely writing the guy off, then a couple months in the ship is righted.

Yeah Merrill is further in on the process, but he was also a lower pick.

After Gelinas flaming out, and then trading Lars we needed Merrill to find his game. Not only to fill a LHD spot, which was looking scary weak, but also to get that young d foundation back into respectable shape. Sev's, Santini Merrill is a good base to work around.

The Fayne analogy for Merrill is perfect.

Fayne was propped up by Greene who was phenomenal at that time, but he was also a wickedly smart, simple defender. Hard to play against and gritty and did all the little things right.

Hopefully we have him at 3LD next year after adding a better LD, but this season's shown he's more than capable of moving up to play second pairing minutes. I'm beginning to trust him out there defensively more than Greene.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
What happened with Fayne in Edmonton, just had a drop off or just poor handling of him as the organization is notorious for?

Some were upset that we only got a 6th for PAP - Fayne was a 5th rounder and turned into a nice steady defensemen for us.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
What happened with Fayne in Edmonton, just had a drop off or just poor handling of him as the organization is notorious for?

Some were upset that we only got a 6th for PAP - Fayne was a 5th rounder and turned into a nice steady defensemen for us.

If only Fayne scored in Game 1 of the 2012 Finals...he'd still be a Devil

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
That and a Kovy crossbar in game 2 from having 4 Cup banners inside The Rock.

Which hurts more, 2001, or 2012? I can't decide. Each would have been epic. Dynastic repeat vs. last shot at glory for a fading supernova.

I will never complain about being 3-2 in the finals, though. Washington, St. Louis, Vancouver, and Buffalo have been around almost a combined 200 years, and are something like 0-8.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We're reliving sad stories in the optomistic thread? :laugh:

Nah Fayne wouldn't have remained a Devil after FA, although Lou might have brought him back at one point if he had been a Cup hero :P

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fayne was a MacBrainDamage signing, then seemed to fall out of favor when Chiarelli/McClellan took over things.

His contract wasn't that great. I'm not gonna say it was brutal or anything, like Clarkson's, but it wasn't very good. Especially considering that it was just about identical to Andy Greene's last contract before we extended him. I know it was 3 years later and the inflation of the cap/inflation of the dollar might be skewing that a little bit. Still wasn't that great of a contract though. I would have taken him at the contract that Lovejoy is currently on though.

We needed to choose between him and Zidlicky and while Fayne was 10 years younger, offense was a real weak spot and it made more sense to bring back Zidlicky, even if only for a year. And that was after we bought out Volchenkov to boot. Fayne also fell out of favor with Petey at the end too, for reasons no one here could ever figure out. And I also remember Fayne being shaky for a while early in the 13-14 season, when he was a healthy scratch over Peter Harrold. When he became a regular again, it took a while for him to re-acquire his previous steady play. I was calling him Mark ****stayne for a while there. He rebounded before the Olympic break.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
All of our kids looked really good night.

JQ overall looks solid, and he has a great shot. Real heavy writer.

Severson is now a 30 point player. Totals some people didn't think he could reach.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I am optimistic our kids will make our forward group look much better next season.

Hall Zacha Palmieri
Henrique Blandisi Camm/Speers
Quenneville Zajac Bennett
Wood Josefson Lappin

That forward group has play drivers on each line. If we can upgrade the defense then we would be heading in the right direction. Then we will be looking at McLeod, Gignac, Bastian, Anderson, Rykov, Blackwood and this seasons first rounder as the next wave of kids for 2018-2019.

Have faith in the process.

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Very happy with Severson's season to be honest. I've lost interest in the season by now but seeing him hit 30 points, on this team, is quite the feat. I would have loved to see him remain on the top pair with Greene, I know he's not the best defensively but him and Greene were pretty good to start the year. Having that sound defensive guy in Greene to let him be more aggressive just makes sense. Not sure how someone like Severson and Quincey/Moore is supposed to succeed? Anyway... optimism. Severson's potential is still fantastic, I truly believe he can be a first pairing Dman for us with a flair for offense.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I'm very optimistic about Blandisi.

He plays so well, every game. It's a shame that because he wasn't drafted early that people overlook him. Look at his AHL stats, look at what he does every game. He really controls the game, he's very good. He was our best player last season when Cammalleri was out.

He really has the potential to be a 60 pt player, quite easily.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

He plays so well, every game. It's a shame that because he wasn't drafted early that people overlook him. Look at his AHL stats, look at what he does every game. He really controls the game, he's very good. He was our best player last season when Cammalleri was out.

From your mouth to god's ears brother.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia

I feel the same way, but I'd like too see where he's at in the 2017 preseason. He's made progress every summer he's been with us.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It is nice to see Blandisi's increased production lately. Hopefully he'll continue to improve enough and produce enough to hold down a third-line spot at worst next year.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I'm not sure of that, but I'm a huge fan of the guy. I envision him as more of a 3rd line 30-40 point LW/C pest. He and Bennett should be staples in our bottom 6. We need skilled guys that can carry the puck and make plays up and down the lineup. I like that Blandisi can be used at wing and center. He's sitting at 48% in the circle...Not too bad.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Digging that this thread exists, since it's been tough to follow the team as religiously as usual during this downturn.

I'm curious to see something key within the next year or two: if the player development system has fully shifted to being Shero's baby now that the transition from Lou will be a few years past. Something that's so overlooked in both hockey and baseball is that while having top prospects is obviously the ideal situation, it is best coupled with a player development system that does everything it can to maximize the talent available at the minor league level, even those who don't initially project to be top line prospects.

Speaking as a Mets fan, we saw over the years how the Mets went through a rebuild (that probably should've been more thorough than it was, but the Wilpons didn't want Alderson to trade everything away since they wanted at least the illusion of being competitive from 2011-2014 or so), and yes, acquiring top prospects played a role in that rebuild working out, namely the R.A. Dickey trade bringing back Syndergaard and d'Arnaud. However, a lot more of the Mets' rebuild was done with guys who were already in the system, but who now got to develop under the Sandy Alderson regime and not the Omar Minaya one. Suddenly, guys who were considered decent but not elite prospects, guys like Jacob deGrom, for example, started coming up and blowing away expectations. Even this past year, 2016, many people thought the Mets had tapped out a lot of their minor league talent trading people away for the 2015 pennant drive, yet guys like Robert Gsellman still came, again, seemingly out of nowhere to be major contributors to getting them back to the postseason in an injury-ravaged season. This is what a really good organizations gets going: the ability to let player development step in even when there's seemingly a lack of outright elite prospects handy.

This is what I want to see for the Devils going forward. I know the two sports aren't entirely analogous, especially as the minor league systems aren't structured the same exact way, but I feel like the improved records of Albany over the past few years indicates not only a desire by ownership and Shero to provide the AHL affiliates with a better product, but also that there may be more work being done to focus on overall roster talent development at that level. A true rebuild doesn't only include getting top flight talent; it's also highly predicated on building depth, which is most effectively done from within. A better, more holistic development system hopefully means that going forward we'll be seeing a more complete Devils team.

Combine that with cap space and hopefully a top draft pick this year (and whatever Shero chooses to do with the extra 2nds and 3rds), and things suddenly aren't quite so bad as they seem at first glance. I know Puck Daddy said it recently, that it's hard to see any kind of plan in place in Jersey, but this is where Shero should earn his keep: if player development is indeed improved the way I'm hoping it is, if the cap space and draft picks are used smartly, it really should put things back on the right track within a couple of years. Doesn't mean everything will be perfect by any stretch, but it's ok to hope.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Over the last 21 games, Zacha has 6 goals and 12 points. It's a small sample size but also reflects how he's improved over the season. That projects to about 23-24 goals and 46-48 points over an 82-game season. With the experience he's gained this year, some additional playing time, and better line mates, I see no reason to think he can't realistically hit 25 goals and 50 points next year.

For all the negativity he got early in the year, McLeod has posted 19 goals and 48 points over his last 33 games. Over 82 that projects to about 47 goals and 119 points.

These two have obvious talent and made great strides this year. We very well might have our future top2 centers in the organization. Quenneville might be playing mostly on the wing but I could see his game translating very well to a reliable 3C role. Our center depth (long term) seems to be in good shape. And that's not even considering whoever the Devils come out of the draft with.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've really liked what I've seen from JQ. Kid seems to have a good tool set.

I think he can definitely become a reliable 40 point player, and maybe even a reliable 50 point player.

Palms is going to score 40 goals on this team before his career is done.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I've really liked what I've seen from JQ. Kid seems to have a good tool set.

I think he can definitely become a reliable 40 point player, and maybe even a reliable 50 point player.

Palms is going to score 40 goals on this team before his career is done.

This is a very superficial question based on my limited viewing of him - I've seen him compared a lot to Henrique, but is that a good comparison? How does he compare to Brandon Saad? I'm not setting the bar at that level, but both have similar size, heavy shots, strong two-way games, can skate well, play physically, and are solid in all three zones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad