The Optimistic Thread

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is a very superficial question based on my limited viewing of him - I've seen him compared a lot to Henrique, but is that a good comparison? How does he compare to Brandon Saad? I'm not setting the bar at that level, but both have similar size, heavy shots, strong two-way games, can skate well, play physically, and are solid in all three zones.

I think he can put up Henrique level numbers, but they seem like different kinds of players. JQ has a better shot for starters.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
What happened with Fayne in Edmonton, just had a drop off or just poor handling of him as the organization is notorious for?

Some were upset that we only got a 6th for PAP - Fayne was a 5th rounder and turned into a nice steady defensemen for us.

A little bit of everything here. MacT had him and Nikitin penciled in as our next best defensmen , Fayne was not good away from Greene (Andy Greene is the most underrated defensman in the league IMO) and it was typical Oiler mismanagment of that time.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
This is a very superficial question based on my limited viewing of him - I've seen him compared a lot to Henrique, but is that a good comparison? How does he compare to Brandon Saad? I'm not setting the bar at that level, but both have similar size, heavy shots, strong two-way games, can skate well, play physically, and are solid in all three zones.

The guy he reminds me of stylistically is Mika Zibanejad.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Rangers game has me all optimistic about the youth. Some good young players that hopefully get a chance to experience playoff hockey in Albany.

We also have a good first line in Hall-Zajac-Palmieri. Hall and Palms have noticeable chemistry.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Neutral fan here. Not so neutral, as I am a big fan of Michael McLeod. I've seen him play in person 3 times this season, and see his ceiling as a potential top line centre with Selke potential, if developed properly.

He really needs to improve on his shot to make it at the elite level, if he wants top line minutes one day.

That is one aspect of a player's game that can be improved over the years though, and seeing him play this year Id say he's made some strides in that area. Still needs to improve shot velocity and placement, but it's looking like it will come to him in time. He's not ready yet to beat NHL goalies regularly, but is getting closer and closer.

I think with a player like McLeod, you have to be real careful. Throw him in for 82 games next year on the third line, I think he'd tread water short term, but you run the risk of hampering his development. Kid should play big minutes in the preseason and get his 9 NHL games, then spend the year in the AHL playing first line minutes plus first PP minutes, and dominating the WJCs (ala Strome this yea). Cap it off with a WC performance or possibly even an Olympic invite if the NHLers don't go.

Come Sept 2018 McLeod will be ready for a monstrous rookie season, if developed properly. I'm keeping my fingers crosssed for him, he's a great kid.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Rangers game has me all optimistic about the youth. Some good young players that hopefully get a chance to experience playoff hockey in Albany.

We also have a good first line in Hall-Zajac-Palmieri. Hall and Palms have noticeable chemistry.

i agree... with an established legit NHL caliber first line ( potentially finding a center to replace zajac and move him down a slot) we are looking ok on paper for next year

quenville
blandisi
wood
Zacha

are 4 forwards of top 9 caliber. you add in at least 1 big forward off season signing. and the possible emergence next season of a mcloed... bastian... speers... etc... and we should have legit NHL caliber forwards

they still need a legit #2 defensman with some offense... greene, santini, merrill, severson... puts you on a real nice start on defense.... lovejoy needs to go or be the #5 or 6 .. not sure if there is anything else ready from the system on defense so probably have to look for a signing but with our cap space the devils need to be aggressive this off season and at a minimum sign one major free agent. i think i would prefer a defensman over a forward if it could only be one.. but i like the direction of the organization and the depth is getting better even guys like lappin, coleman provide guys that can play roles when needed.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Devils points/60 leaders over the last 2 months:

1. John Quenneville 2.97 (4 games)
2. Kyle Palmieri 2.94
3. Pavel Zacha 2.63
4. Taylor Hall 2.34

5. PA Parenteau 2.25
6 Joe Blandisi 2.07
7 Mike Cammalleri 1.86
8. Adam Henrique 1.85

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Reviving because.

Season will be over today and we can move forward. We will get a high pick, Shero will aim to shore up the defense and we will turn it around. Bring on the offseason.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Like the revive of this thread.

Also really like the line of Hall-Zacha-Bennett. Seem to have a good mix of everything.

I hope we start game 1 of next season like this:

Hall - Zacha - Bennett
? - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Henrique - ?
Wood - ? - ?
Extra: ?

? - (Shattenkirk)
Greene - Severson
Merrill - Santini
Extra: Moore, Lovejoy

Schneider
Kinkaid

Roll with 13 F 8 D

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Here is a proper optimism topic.

Anyone think McLeod could end up being a special player and a steal st 12?

*exits out of optimism thread*

No but honestly, I don't know about special but I can definitely see a 2nd line guy with pretty a pretty good two way game. Which honestly, I think I'd settle for that. I will say I do think he has the potential for more but I won't get ahead of myself. Watching him on Sunday his speed is just electrifying and he didn't even have that many "wow" moments. It's just he has such an effortless stride and is so strong on his skates. I think I've seen people say he's akin to Zajac just faster, much faster. I'd agree with that. He's very aware defensively. His hands are also pretty good at least better than I thought they would be.

As excited as I am about McLeod it's the rest of the draft I am potentially more excited about. Bastian, Anderson, Gignac and Rykov all have potential to not only be NHL-ers but good ones at that. Maltsev and Bratt intrigue me as well. Look at perennial contenders. Sure the first round picks may be the elite talent they have but the rest of the lineup is filled with late round draft picks or undrafted guys. We've lacked that for years and finally there's some hope in that regard. Not only do they help fill the rosters but when it comes time to compete for a cup you need those chips to help bolster your roster, the more the merrier.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Blackwood was lights out tonight. Big night for Albany and the organization as a whole, youngsters showed out at all levels.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Last Three Years, Out Of Defenseman With 1500 Minutes (191 guys):

Damon Severson:
T14th in CF% RelTM
T26th in FF% RelTM
50th in SF% RelTM
T79th in 5 on 5 Points/60

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
For some reason I see McLeod moving to wing. Mainly because of who we already have at center in the league, prospect wise and who we could potentially draft this offseason. Also because of his style of play that's based on speed. I just see him as a guy who's gonna use his speed to take defensman on by beating them with speed to the outside. He could also get to the league faster playing wing.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
theres no way hes moving to wing. He is a dominant faceoff man and is already a pretty good 2 way player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad