Speculation: The Offseason: VII (All Offseason Wishlist/Strategy Talk)

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The Reinhart trade was Edmonton buying for value... the Eberle trade was Edmonton selling for a discount. They bought Strome as damaged goods, so if he doesn't end up working out for them, oh well, they still got the cap space they wanted.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I'm watching the Pittsburgh/St. Louis game, they just called a slash on Malkin and it wasn't much of a slash. Too many penalties being called. I really hope they reign these calls in before the season starts. Doc Emmrick just said there's been 200 slashing calls this preseason.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Watch Strome’s highlights in his first season vs the following, and it’s very easy to see the issue.

Nelson for all his flaws has been rather consistent at producing...

So the issue is that Strome was not interested in making the changes needed or maybe more along the lines of the changes he was being told to make were never going to work in the first place. If you've got a guy who is having difficulty about going to the corner and going to the net why in the world would you force them into a bottom six role? Wouldn't common sense say to pair him up with someone who does do those things (like Lee for example) so his flaws could be hidden? Wouldn't common sense say to pair him up with someone with some speed like Ho Sang?

No we just decided to make him a grinder. The development of Strome still baffles me to this day. I'm happy we traded him for Eberle but the failure of top picks under Capuano is more than "maybe the player just is not as good as we thought".

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm watching the Pittsburgh/St. Louis game, they just called a slash on Malkin and it wasn't much of a slash. Too many penalties being called. I really hope they reign these calls in before the season starts. Doc Emmrick just said there's been 200 slashing calls this preseason.

My guess is the league wants everything to be called in preseason to get it inside the heads of players what exactly is a penalty. With the combination of players not slashing as much with refs probably lightening up on marginal stuff I see a decrease in slashing penalties

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
My guess is the league wants everything to be called in preseason to get it inside the heads of players what exactly is a penalty. With the combination of players not slashing as much with refs probably lightening up on marginal stuff I see a decrease in slashing penalties

Just call the real **** and there is no problem. Like when Crosby almost hacks someone's finger off, call that ****.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
So the issue is that Strome was not interested in making the changes needed or maybe more along the lines of the changes he was being told to make were never going to work in the first place. If you've got a guy who is having difficulty about going to the corner and going to the net why in the world would you force them into a bottom six role? Wouldn't common sense say to pair him up with someone who does do those things (like Lee for example) so his flaws could be hidden? Wouldn't common sense say to pair him up with someone with some speed like Ho Sang?

No we just decided to make him a grinder. The development of Strome still baffles me to this day. I'm happy we traded him for Eberle but the failure of top picks under Capuano is more than "maybe the player just is not as good as we thought".

I didn’t realize when you want a player to be a ‘complete’ player or ‘go into the corners’ means he’s a bottom six player...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Just call the real **** and there is no problem. Like when Crosby almost hacks someone's finger off, call that ****.

I think that's why they are calling it the way it is. It is so difficult in the pace of play to see whether a slash is finger severing or a love tap. Slashes with no wind up and forceful accuracy with the tip of the blade can be way more damaging than a full wind up. So rather than try to make the mistake of determining how "forceful" a slash is, the league has just decided to call them all.

If you think about it, that was probably the true intent of the penalty upon its birth. Equipment tends to change the nature of penalty calls.

Speaking of equipment, If I had been the glove maker of the guy who got his finger nearly severed by Crosby (forget who it was, a Senator?) then I'd be embarrassed. You'd think they would be ramping up the glove technology to protect the fingers a bit more.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I think that's why they are calling it the way it is. It is so difficult in the pace of play to see whether a slash is finger severing or a love tap. Slashes with no wind up and forceful accuracy with the tip of the blade can be way more damaging than a full wind up. So rather than try to make the mistake of determining how "forceful" a slash is, the league has just decided to call them all.

If you think about it, that was probably the true intent of the penalty upon its birth. Equipment tends to change the nature of penalty calls.

Speaking of equipment, If I had been the glove maker of the guy who got his finger nearly severed by Crosby (forget who it was, a Senator?) then I'd be embarrassed. You'd think they would be ramping up the glove technology to protect the fingers a bit more.

I'm just Saying there's a blatant difference between a tap and a hack. I'm hoping this season isn't marked by 8-10 penalty games between this new slash rule and the face off rule, along with all the other shenanigans.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I didn’t realize when you want a player to be a ‘complete’ player or ‘go into the corners’ means he’s a bottom six player...

Well that's what they did right? Ho Sang doesn't is not very skilled in the corners, do you think that Weight will force him into a bottom six role this season? No, even if he is on the third line it will not be a grinding line.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If they're calling lots of penalties I just hope the PP and PK are up to snuff right out of the gate, because that may determine wins and losses in the early season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wonder if we could work a Nelson+ assets for Kyle Turris trade

I think Turris would be a phenomenal add, and the fact that Nelson is an established NHLer with 3 20+ goal seasons under his belt while still being an RFA after this year may make him valuable to a team with an owner who holds his wallet tight.

In addition, the Isles have somes high picks that can be available later in the year (depending on where they are in the standings) and some B/C level prospects too.

I'd be surprised if Snow hasn't started (or doesn't start soon) a dialouge with Pierre Dorion regarding Turris already.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I also read Turris is willing to commit to Ottawa long term (7-8 years), so a potential extension may take him into his mid 30's but the AAV may come in at a lower rate.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I wonder if we could work a Nelson+ assets for Kyle Turris trade
28 yr old Turris wants 7- 8 years on his extension .I am leery about getting bogged down in another big dollar, long-term contract .
I expect the Ladd, Boychuk and Clutterbuck contracts will bite the isles on the ass eventually

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
28 yr old Turris wants 7- 8 years on his extension .I am leery about getting bogged down in another big dollar, long-term contract .
I expect the Ladd, Boychuk and Clutterbuck contracts will bite the isles on the ass eventually

Ladd and Clutterbuck already are

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
the only way Ottawa will let go of Turris is if a replacement top 3 C is coming back. They don't have that kind of depth. Turris would be great, but I don't think we would make good trading partners.They do have Logan Brown, which is a guy I wanted us to draft, but he's not ready yet.

I'd like to make a package with Nelson + Pulock + A Prospect as the main pieces for a top 6 coming back. I am open to adding another top 6 forward or defence and a draft pick if it means we get someone that can make a splash.

I think a better trade would be for Stastny...I think he could come a bit cheaper than Douche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad