Speculation: The Offseason: VII (All Offseason Wishlist/Strategy Talk)

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Oilers are gonna be stout. I can't see them trading Nugent-Hopkins unless they're getting equal NHL talent in return for a run. Maybe at the draft you can get him for futures/young players, but not the deadline.

The Oilers should be in good shape, yes. But they aren't without need(s), and holding onto a 3rd line center (for them) making 6m hurts if you're trying to improve at the deadline. They could absolutely use a cheaper 3rd line center, and who doesn't want more defensive depth? The Islanders also have two 1st roudners to play with if they just want to drop some salary to add another piece. Say Nurse/Larsson goes down or they aren't getting the production they would want out of the right side D, and someone like Mike Green becomes available to them?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Oilers should be in good shape, yes. But they aren't without need(s), and holding onto a 3rd line center (for them) making 6m hurts if you're trying to improve at the deadline. They could absolutely use a cheaper 3rd line center, and who doesn't want more defensive depth? The Islanders also have two 1st roudners to play with if they just want to drop some salary to add another piece. Say Nurse/Larsson goes down or they aren't getting the production they would want out of the right side D, and someone like Mike Green becomes available to them?

The Oilers have slightly over $8 million in cap space with all roster spots currently filled. They have more than enough money to improve at the deadline, even with RNH on the roster.

It's next year, when McDavid and Draisaitl's deals kick in that they'll have to do some maneuvering. But they're fine, cap-wise, this season with Nuge on the books.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The Oilers should be in good shape, yes. But they aren't without need(s), and holding onto a 3rd line center (for them) making 6m hurts if you're trying to improve at the deadline. They could absolutely use a cheaper 3rd line center, and who doesn't want more defensive depth?

They have plenty of room to add without losing Nugent-Hopkins in the process. If they want to eventually clear his salary, they can easily wait until the draft, engage with more potential trade partners, and get a better return.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
But they aren't without need(s), and holding onto a 3rd line center (for them) making 6m hurts if you're trying to improve at the deadline. They could absolutely use a cheaper 3rd line center, and who doesn't want more defensive depth? The Islanders also have two 1st roudners to play with if they just want to drop some salary to add another piece.

The Oilers aren't going to win the cup this year so they can worry about a 6M dollar 3rd center when McDavid and Draisaitl's contracts kick in 2018/19

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Not surprising...

He really lost his first step earlier in life, when most lost that in their early 30's, that is what the problem with the Isles. I think Strome puts in the effort but his speed dropped quickly, and in hockey and most sports that is enough to kill your career, he is going to have turn into Ian Laperriere, failed high draft pick reduced to being an agitator

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He really lost his first step earlier in life, when most lost that in their early 30's, that is what the problem with the Isles. I think Strome puts in the effort but his speed dropped quickly, and in hockey and most sports that is enough to kill your career, he is going to have turn into Ian Laperriere, failed high draft pick reduced to being an agitator

Strome I think is just naturally lazy. It probably worked for him for a long time but now it's not anymore for the reasons you mentioned. Many players of this mold have great careers but fall off somewhat earlier because they don't want to work as hard when the natural tools start fading. They also are usually classic big game players in that when you need them most they show up but they suck when you have a game vs a team that is 12-35-4 that is just as important at the end of the day on April 10th as any other game you play during the season but they don't see it that way

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Strome I think is just naturally lazy. It probably worked for him for a long time but now it's not anymore for the reasons you mentioned. Many players of this mold have great careers but fall off somewhat earlier because they don't want to work as hard when the natural tools start fading. They also are usually classic big game players in that when you need them most they show up but they suck when you have a game vs a team that is 12-35-4 that is just as important at the end of the day on April 10th as any other game you play during the season but they don't see it that way

On a podcast (I think LHH), I remember Staple mentioned how Strome doesn't seem to be that really dedicated type like JT (not many are). He's needed several kicks in the ass with us, not good that he's already getting one in Edmonton.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Strome never had that extra step.

He only succeeded early in his career because teams played him cautiously due to his high skill (which ended up just being vision but was likely inflated due to his draft position) and the fact that he actually decimated the AHL (because it's a step behind the NHL).

Once the tape came out that he wasn't going to beat you with his skating, teams knew you could neutralize him by playing him tight, and Strome doesn't have the athleticism to improve his skating.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
Fair is fair, shrewd move by Garth. If riding shotgun to Draisaitl or McDavid doesn't get Stromes fire burning, nothing will.

Could be training camp banter but coming from the coach and it being public, Strome is trending towards solidifying himself as a bust.

Strome used to call his dad and complain about his ice time and such after almost every game. He's lazy and blames everyone else for his problems.

I figured this trade would light a fire under him, but I guess not.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Strome used to call his dad and complain about his ice time and such after almost every game. He's lazy and blames everyone else for his problems.

I figured this trade would light a fire under him, but I guess not.

How do you know this?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
And Capuano was the problem with Strome... uh-huh.

A much more decorated coach sees the same crap. The stakes are higher and the waif continues to live off his draft position and ‘he scored 52 points!’

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

A much more decorated coach sees the same crap. The stakes are higher and the waif continues to live off his draft position and ‘he scored 52 points!’

Capuano absolutely was the problem with Strome. They obviously had issues and did not get along for some reason. Strome was shifted all around the lineup and had no confidence.

Did you not watch the first full season he played in the NHL? Something obviously changed.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Capuano absolutely was the problem with Strome. They obviously had issues and did not get along for some reason. Strome was shifted all around the lineup and had no confidence.

Did you not watch the first full season he played in the NHL? Something obviously changed.

I think Strome may have turned it on late last year more due to the new coach coming in than the new coach causing it himself. Also he may have been hoping to avoid being traded during the offseason by trying to impress late. It's hard to say if that was genuine or just major motivation for a short period

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Strome has a lot of talent. He just seemed to be happy to finally "make it" and got content.

The 50pt season he was still establishing himself.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Sure did. His issue was that other teams scouted him and realized he was easy to move off the puck, didn’t go to the corners, and was looking for the easy play. So, teams figured that out real quick and he struggled bc he couldn’t adapt to that at the NHL level.

Quit blaming the coach. Capuano realized Strome was going to be neutralized (which he was) so he tried to get him to play a better overall game to make him more effective. That is on the player and that’s why Strome is not getting anywhere.

But, we know, we know. Fans see points and believe it’s always someone else’s fault...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I think Strome may have turned it on late last year more due to the new coach coming in than the new coach causing it himself. Also he may have been hoping to avoid being traded during the offseason by trying to impress late. It's hard to say if that was genuine or just major motivation for a short period

I was a little disappointed with Strome to be honest after Weight came in but he did produce. His confidence was obviously down after the last year and a half with Capuano and him not getting along. It was always going to take a bit for him to get back on track. That being said, I still do like the Eberle trade.

Sure did. His issue was that other teams scouted him and realized he was easy to move off the puck, didn’t go to the corners, and was looking for the easy play. So, teams figured that out real quick and he struggled bc he couldn’t adapt to that at the NHL level.

Quit blaming the coach. Capuano realized Strome was going to be neutralized (which he was) so he tried to get him to play a better overall game to make him more effective. That is on the player and that’s why Strome is not getting anywhere.

But, we know, we know. Fans see points and believe it’s always someone else’s fault...

So blitz let me get this right.. The organization invests a #5 overall pick in a very skilled player and once teams start to "scout him" we try to make him a "better overall" player (which is just a nice way of saying bottom six player)?

The great Capuano decided that instead of trying to work with Strome and make him... you know.. a better scorer, he decided to try to make him a third line player. This is making sense to you?

I don't see points, I see a player who after his first season needed to make some adjustments and instead of doing that the organization decided to shift him all around the lineup, send him down to the AHL, bench him for games, and inevitably trade him.

Capuano was a terrible coach for young players. JHS would have had the same fate here if Cappy wasn't fired and you could've copied and pasted your post about Strome for JHS in three years. I mean many people believe Barzal looked out of place last year and magically this year he has done a complete 180? Let me guess, you think it's because he had a year of development rather than a real coaching staff?

Snow might not be a great GM, but even an idiot would have drafted a decent #2 guy with all those top picks after awhile. This is of course considering that the NYI had a good coach. It was Nino's fault he sucked here but somehow is amazing with Minny right?

Strome wasn't some random 3rd round pick who was a high scorer in juniors, he was a 5th overall pick who we tried to turn into a third liner. Brilliant.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Plenty of top 5 picks bust out. Strome is a waif, he lacked the team, and his skill set was neutralized by the opposing team. He wanted to play ‘easy’ like in juniors. Worked for one flash in the pan. When he needed to adjust, he stunk. Simple as that.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Plenty of top 5 picks bust out. Strome is a waif, he lacked the team, and his skill set was neutralized by the opposing team. He wanted to play ‘easy’ like in juniors. Worked for one flash in the pan. When he needed to adjust, he stunk. Simple as that.

That't the easy way out. His first two seasons were obviously very good and then something happened. For somebody who mocks people for making fun of Nelson you are definitely seeing what you want regarding Strome. Who ever said he "wanted to play it easy like in juniors"? Where have you ever seen that?

Plenty of top 5 picks bust out, but when all of them do and the one that does not is playing for Minnesota something is wrong with the coaching.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

There are a lot of players that just won't be effective for any coach, Strome because of his skill limitations is easy to defend, he likes to fight, he will hang around for a few years and get 8 fighting majors a season.

The more time fades, the more people will see that Cappy maximized a lot from the roster he had. Big problem is that his GM would draft these flawed players and Cappy likes the hustle guys who overachieve, that is why guys like Okposo and Frans flourished under Cappy as well as Hamonic.

Getting Eberle for Strome works even if Eberle turns into Andrew Ladd 1st half of 2016/17.

Snow never drafts "Islander" style players, although he finds them in later rounds like Lee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad