Speculation: The Offseason: VII (All Offseason Wishlist/Strategy Talk)

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I don't know about you, but when I look at the roster, it looks like we are rolling the dice again.

Still plenty summer left, but we are by no means a playoff lock like some are saying. Too many hypotheticals, why can't Snow make a move where the Fan base affirmatively says we are a better team because of it ?

In recent years we've seen Johanssen, Saad, Hall, Kesler, Kessel all moved. It is frustrating Eberle is what Snow comes up with. I am not convinced the Islanders are a better team now then they were at the start of last season.

Right now, we better hope this young coaching staff delivers, because I see a team with a ton of rookies and sophomores and John Tavares

crasherino

May 9, 2013
kmo429

What is the holdup on acquiring someone like Tyler Bozak? Look at the pros:

- ~55% faceoff guy last few years
- 4.2 M cap hit (Could fit him/De Haan/Pelech without moving salary)
- 1 year left on deal (Perfect placeholder for Barzal/Beau to take on 2C role in 2018-19)
- Could likely be had for a Marcus Johansson type return (Much cheaper than Duchene and company)

In addition, since the last lockout he has average 21 goals/55 points per 82 games. Adjust that to the last 3 years and it is 20 goals/53 points per 82 games. Just last year is was 19 goals/58 points per 82 games.

Not sure why he gets such a bad rap. Not a 2-way stud that is worshipped in today's game, but a good offensive player, faceoff guy, and a sure-fire 2C.

Think he fits better than anyone not name Duchene, and given his contract and the cost to acquire, I think he might even be a better fit.

I think this is as good a deal as any. Problem is, its now one more forward we have to find a place for. I think we need to move a rostered forward in any player acquisition. I suppose we could try and move Kulemin for a mid round pick just to get a roster space and some cap room.

But I think Bozak would be a decent pickup to slot in at Center. Not the sexiest of moves, but a solid vet. Right handed shot is a plus as well. This looks better than what we have now:

Lee - JT - Eberle
Ladd - Bozak - JHS
Nelson - Beauvillier - Bailey
Chimera - CC - CC

Barzal starts in BP. Can't be too long until a forward spot opens up though and unless we have absolutely no injuries, which would be surprising.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I think this is as good a deal as any. Problem is, its now one more forward we have to find a place for. I think we need to move a rostered forward in any player acquisition. I suppose we could try and move Kulemin for a mid round pick just to get a roster space and some cap room.

But I think Bozak would be a decent pickup to slot in at Center. Not the sexiest of moves, but a solid vet. Right handed shot is a plus as well. This looks better than what we have now:

Lee - JT - Eberle
Ladd - Bozak - JHS
Nelson - Beauvillier - Bailey
Chimera - CC - CC

Barzal starts in BP. Can't be too long until a forward spot opens up though and unless we have absolutely no injuries, which would be surprising.

Honestly I think it's the move that makes the most sense. he'll be around 20g 30A how can you ask for more from your 2C?

Yea sure he's not Matt Duchene but he doesn't need to be. People want him more because he's the sexy name. Here on HF people don't want Bozak because of the dumb leaf fans on the board.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Why is Toronto moving Bozak for futures though?

Babcock values center depth, and Toronto is trying to compete as much as anyone.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Honestly I think it's the move that makes the most sense. he'll be around 20g 30A how can you ask for more from your 2C?

Yea sure he's not Matt Duchene but he doesn't need to be. People want him more because he's the sexy name. Here on HF people don't want Bozak because of the dumb leaf fans on the board.

Leafs are now very close to the cap ceiling so unlikely they'd take back Kulemin in a deal for Bozak, but would make some sense given that both make almost the exact same cap hit and both have 1 year left. With that, they need to shed around 4 million and Bozak's 4.2 would be a great help. They have the center depth with Mathews/Kadri as the top 2 and Marleau/Nylander both capable of playing C. Komarov can also play 3C if necessary. We ship Kulemin off for a late round draft pick, we could probably interest the Leafs in someone like Pelech who's slot right into their lineup and is controllable and likely cheap. Throw in a 3rd or so.

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Bozak-Ho-Sang
Nelson-BEauvillier-Bailey
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck.

^Someone else listed that already. Oops.

Either way, looking at our lineup to start last year (excluding Barzal,) you're swapping out Strome, Kulemin and Prince/Quine in your top 13 and adding Ho-Sang, Bozak, Eberle. That is some serious upgrading. Even without Bozak and Kulemin being dealt, you're still taking out Strome and Prince/Quine and adding Ho-Sang and Eberle to that top 13 forwards. The additional swpa would be nice but to say we haven't upgraded the offense already is false.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

Babcock values center depth, and Toronto is trying to compete as much as anyone.

Cause they're 4 million or so above the cap and have alot of UFA's after this season. Might as well sacrifice some great center depth now for futures and cap relief while knowing they will lose the players anyway.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Cause they're 4 million or so above the cap and have alot of UFA's after this season. Might as well sacrifice some great center depth now for futures and cap relief while knowing they will lose the players anyway.

Both Horton and Lupul will be going on IR, does that not give them enough space?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Bozak-Ho-Sang
Nelson-Beauvillier-Bailey
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck.

I love so much of this.

Acquiring a real 2C to moving Nelson from 2C to the 3LW is such an upgrade on the team to me, substantial.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Called using ****ing Google. Literally, instead of asking for the source, type it into Google. It takes two ****ing seconds.

Well you're a ton of fun.

I googled "leafs trade" and did not see the article you posted. If it takes "two ****ing seconds", why are you making such a big deal about it? :laugh:

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Well you're a ton of fun.

I googled "leafs trade" and did not see the article you posted. If it takes "two ****ing seconds", why are you making such a big deal about it? :laugh:

Not making a big deal, but it's very annoying that people will take time to question something instead of taking the same time to look it up for them selves.

Plus, if you can't find it or look in up correctly, that's no my fault.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

One of the Leaf posters said they would consider trading Bozak for picks after a certain scenario:

If JVR is traded for picks ONLY. If JVR lands a top 4 dman, they can compete in the playoffs and would rather keep Bozak for a run. But if JVR's return is only picks, they seemingly don't have what it takes to be a contender and would flip Bozak for what they can before they can't afford him re-signing.

I understand the reasoning, but there are too many moving parts to gamble on since the asking price with JVR/top 4 dman would be a lot higher than if the scenario plays out.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
One of the Leaf posters said they would consider trading Bozak for picks after a certain scenario:

If JVR is traded for picks ONLY. If JVR lands a top 4 dman, they can compete in the playoffs and would rather keep Bozak for a run. But if JVR's return is only picks, they seemingly don't have what it takes to be a contender and would flip Bozak for what they can before they can't afford him re-signing.

I understand the reasoning, but there are too many moving parts to gamble on since the asking price with JVR/top 4 dman would be a lot higher than if the scenario plays out.

Yeah, that's a crap ton of hypotheticals.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Both Horton and Lupul will be going on IR, does that not give them enough space?

From my understanding, teams need to be cap compliant before the season starts, yet those players cannot be placed on LTIR until after that cap compliance deadline. I am no expert so someone may be able to provide better insight, but I believe they'll need to shed salary before that.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

I'll be very surprised if JVR returns a clear top-4 defenseman. With only one year on his deal, not necessarily cheap and a limited NTC, I assume their options are limited. If a team has a top defenseman to trade, they are probably looking for a player with more term or a friendly contract.

If they move JVR for something besides futures, I think it will be for a player like Pelech. Someone who has some NHL experience, wasn't a blue chip prospectl, has some potential to grow into more but isn't a sure thing. They should probably grab the futures and try to make a trade at the deadline.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
From my understanding, teams need to be cap compliant before the season starts, yet those players cannot be placed on LTIR until after that cap compliance deadline. I am no expert so someone may be able to provide better insight, but I believe they'll need to shed salary before that.

That's what I thought too. I thought you couldn't LTIR players until the season starts. So you have to be compliant on opening night.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I'll be very surprised if JVR returns a clear top-4 defenseman. With only one year on his deal, not necessarily cheap and a limited NTC, I assume their options are limited. If a team has a top defenseman to trade, they are probably looking for a player with more term or a friendly contract.

If they move JVR for something besides futures, I think it will be for a player like Pelech. Someone who has some NHL experience, wasn't a blue chip prospectl, has some potential to grow into more but isn't a sure thing. They should probably grab the futures and try to make a trade at the deadline.

And if it is Pelech, I'd rather Bozak coming back. Fills our needs better.

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad