The Offseason Thread

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I don't understand why people think Cleary would be bad for our prospects. He's not a great player anymore, but Holland certainly wouldn't keep him around if he was a bad influence.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't understand why people think Cleary would be bad for our prospects. He's not a great player anymore, but Holland certainly wouldn't keep him around if he was a bad influence.

Yeah I agree. Cleary coaching prospects would be a great thing, I just don't want him playing with any of them because he's a bad hockey player at this point of his career.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I disagree, I don't think there's anything wrong with a guy getting a dozen games under his belt. It gives him a taste of what's coming.

It's why I hope Larkin makes the team out of camp and plays til Datsyuk gets back.

I get what you're saying, but I imagine there is an adjustment period that needs to take place for most prospects making from the AHL to the NHL, and I would like them to get past that, so the player is more comfortable playing in the NHL and gives you a more complete evaluation of the prospects NHL potential.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The slash was always pretty cool, It just didnt fit with the logo, It might be pretty cool with that one who knows.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Big meh if that is our logo. Was really hoping we went the way of Chicago/New Jersey and stuck with our current logo.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Big meh if that is our logo. Was really hoping we went the way of Chicago/New Jersey and stuck with our current logo.

Enh, for a limited time event, I think it makes more sense to alter the logo/use an older one. People can buy the current logo anywhere, anytime.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Enh, for a limited time event, I think it makes more sense to alter the logo/use an older one. People can buy the current logo anywhere, anytime.

Call me a traditionalist. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I get using variations of classic logos/jerseys like they did for both winter classics, but the whole "modern" fad with these Stadium Series games bugs me.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I'm still annoyed the league switched the Home-Away jersey colors over a decade ago.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm still annoyed the league switched the Home-Away jersey colors over a decade ago.

But shouldn't the Red Wings be, you know, red at home? The Broadway Blueshirts in blue?

Home whites was a relatively new invention to hockey that many of us grew accustomed to during peak viewing years, but does not reflect the heritage.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
But shouldn't the Red Wings be, you know, red at home? The Broadway Blueshirts in blue?

Home whites was a relatively new invention to hockey that many of us grew accustomed to during peak viewing years, but does not reflect the heritage.

Well, it was that way for 30-some years and it's still that way in the AHL.

It always struck me as a Bettman-esque cash grab. Something to make all the home fans buy a different jersey to 'correctly' represent their home team.

I still occasionally enter some fugue state and can't figure out if the team is home or away sans an on-screen prompt. I blame the NHL for this, and seek justice.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I still occasionally enter some fugue state and can't figure out if the team is home or away sans an on-screen prompt. I blame the NHL for this, and seek justice.

That excuse didn't work for Walter White and I'm not buying it here either! :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I certainly won't lie, there's a heavy dose of nostalgia to that era and seeing the Wings dominate at home in those uniforms.

That's how I see it. The Wings won their cups in the old CCM white threads at home, and who can forget one of the most memorable goals in Red Wings history:

528570.jpg

I prefer the red at home, personally. Just makes more sense.

Also check out the guy with the tucked in jersey in the crowd. Talk about back in the day.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Logo is ok. Sash is awful though.

This is kinda unlike the Wings to go so modern. I thought they'd either wear something closer to a winter classic type design or just their regular jerseys with a fancy chromed out logo or something like CHI and NJ did.

As for white vs red at home. I prefer white not only for nostalgia purposes but because I think our whites are the best jerseys in the NHL.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I like home white to be honest. But not really for aesthetic nor philosophical reasons.

This is just my own wild theory but I think white jersey at home makes it easier to see plays and defend. meanwhile the red away jersey makes it easy to get down to business and execute in other teams rink.

btw that diagonal thing is just hideous. if they wanted to implement an angle concept, it needed more effort in designing it. It just looks like an incredibly lazy design that grammar school kids come up with.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
As for white vs red at home. I prefer white not only for nostalgia purposes but because I think our whites are the best jerseys in the NHL.
I don't know why they don't just switch white/dark on new years or the all star break. Thats how they used to do it in the OHL and you'd get the best of both worlds.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is just my own wild theory but I think white jersey at home makes it easier to see plays and defend. meanwhile the red away jersey makes it easy to get down to business and execute in other teams rink.
This kinda made me laugh. Sorry. That's an interesting theory :sarcasm:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I like home white to be honest. But not really for aesthetic nor philosophical reasons.

btw that diagonal thing is just hideous. if they wanted to implement an angle concept, it needed more effort in designing it. It just looks like an incredibly lazy design that grammar school kids come up with.

Thats me in NHL video games lol, Its easier for me to see the puck as a goalie when our team is wearing light.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
This kinda made me laugh. Sorry. That's an interesting theory :sarcasm:

I'm glad it was crazy enough to make you laugh :laugh:

It's just that Wings have a bright red jersey and looking at it kinda boosts the morale of the team to stick together to the game plan in a hostile environment.

I've always liked home white jersey for some unknown reasons. Bruce Joker mentioned he can see the puck better playing as a goalie in a video game and I haven't thought of that but the home white gives off this soothing feeling and the lighter jersey kinda stand out bit more than the darker ones so maybe you can spot your teammates easier... but again, this is a crazy idea. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad