The Offseason Thread

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I've yet to see any semblance of chemistry between Gus and Z.

Why keep forcing them together? I'd rather the kid line reunite.

Well that's an exaggeration. They've definitely demonstrated chemistry, especially in Nyquist's first season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Really???

Can't tell you how many of Nyquist's goals (both PP and ES) came from beautiful feeds from Z. They created magic together on the PP last year big time, hence their gaudy numbers.

Then the season prior the Franzen-Z-Nyquist line looked like absolute dynamite for a stretch.

So I'm confused on how you could think that.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Abdelkader was a mainstay on the top line last season, one of our best forwards.

Will he recreate last seasons success? Probably not, but I'd bet on him way before Richards.

Richards will be overmatched on a top line, but the only reason he's on a top line is because of injuries, assuming him being the 1c is even true in the first place.

He was signed to be a cheap, short term 2/3c, and he'll be decent at that.

Aug 6, 2012
Richards will be overmatched on a top line, but the only reason he's on a top line is because of injuries, assuming him being the 1c is even true in the first place.

Yeah that makes sense, exactly why I said he's in waaay over his head.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

This is why I'm hoping Zetterberg plays first line center in the mean time. Better him than Richards.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Yeah that makes sense, exactly why I said he's in waaay over his head.

I could understand that point of view if, say, Helm was suddenly handed 1C duties. Richards has tons of top 6 experience and multiple Cups. I don't expect elite production out of him but I don't see him as chum in that role either.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Yeah i would have to agree with Z playing center when dats is not in the line up. Richards will be a great 2nd line center hopefully, wouldn't mind if they would give sheahan a try at the 2# C job though. But i really don't wan't to see sheahan/Richards as first line centers. Let's not forget that Z was actually great at beggining of last season as 1#C. Only time will tell though.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Well that's an exaggeration. They've definitely demonstrated chemistry, especially in Nyquist's first season.

Maybe, but last year I don't remember a time they were dominant except for the pp like Frk It said.

The last time they played well together that I remember is the stretch where Gus had his hat trick against the Caps and carried that momentum a bit - iirc they were lethal a couple of years ago.

I personally haven't been fond of them together for a while, though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Hockey is right around the corner guys + girls!

Very excited for this upcoming NHL and NFL season. Also am moving to a place that is walking distance to an NHL arena, so I am excited to catch some games and see some action around the league in person.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

To me the kid line is tatar/sheahan/Jurco

And Z and Nyquist have chem same with Franzen in there, but hes gone now probably.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I take it, then, that I'm on an island for thinking that giving Zetterberg 1C duties until Datsyuk returns is a great way to add to the injury report...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I take it, then, that I'm on an island for thinking that giving Zetterberg 1C duties until Datsyuk returns is a great way to add to the injury report...

For a couple of months, I don't think playing center will hurt Z appreciably more than playing wing outside of a freak injury. Aside from his back, which is supposed to be "fixed," has Z had any other significant recurring injuries?

If Blashill likes Helm back at center, or Larkin comes to camp and looks ready for an NHL stint, I think Z at center won't happen anyway. And I trust Z staying healthy at center for a couple of months over playing Andersson every day at 4c and Glendening at 3c, which was thrown around awhile back.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
nobody is overrated

everyone is underrated.. well maybe except few players.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For a couple of months, I don't think playing center will hurt Z appreciably more than playing wing outside of a freak injury. Aside from his back, which is supposed to be "fixed," has Z had any other significant recurring injuries?

Nothing negative has been reported about Zetterberg back after the surgery. It was 1,5 years ago.

I just think that his back rehab killed his normal summer training at last summer and he was out of full physical condition for later part of the season. Just was worn out. NO energy, skating was off, and nothing was reported that his back causes these problems. It was just something "general". That's out of physical condition for me. And there's games so heck of amount during the regular season, that you can't much train between them, just play through.

Now, if he has completed his normal summer training program, I think he could return on his normal form again, and will have a better season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad