Speculation: The Offseason: III (All Offseason Wishlist/Strategy Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I think the best thing to do is expect.......nothing. This is the Islanders and Garth Snow we are talking about, I would not get your hopes up that a trade will be made. At least that's what I'm doing. If anything good happens, then it'll be a pleasant surprise.

You know we are all thinking this. I always view FA deadline and trading deadline when I buy the lottery ticket when it gets over 200mil. I sit and dream of all the nice things I will purchase and then wake up the next morning and realize I will have all my same stuff.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I am of the opinion that if the Islanders enter the season with Bailey as a top line winger it is an epic fail on Snow's part.

I look at a line as a whole - not at the individual players. While Bailey in a vacuum is not a top line player, Lee/JT/Bailey was a productive first line. Especially when looking to create and roll 4 quality lines.

Is Eberle more worthy of being a top lone winger? Sure, I guess. But considering the cost in players and salary, notnsurenifnits worth it. And we know our current line works - why **** with it?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am of the opinion that if the Islanders enter the season with Bailey as a top line winger it is an epic fail on Snow's part.

I would say a legit 2nd line might be more important then finding the perfect winger for Tavares(ie say if you make trades for Eberle and Duchene and put them on the same line and keep the Tavares line intact, that might work better then trying to find the perfect fit for tavares)

As I look at our roster now, I see the Tavares line and 3 pseudo 3rd lines, the Tavares line and legit 2nd line and 2 pseudo third lines would be an improvement

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Isles will def be adding at least one top 6 players. It's all they(Weight) have been talking about.

Also, there's no need to trade all those assets to Vegas in order to shed Grabovski salary if we're not adding someone.

My fear is it will be Eberle and Eberle alone.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Something about the draft floor, maybe all the teenage spirit in the room gets GMs trading.

I'm calling Eberle to NYI at the draft.

Snow will sign a mid-tier FA and pay 125% for them.

Snow will bill a slightly heavier Josh Ho-Sang as a new roster addition.

My guess.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Frank Seravelli reports TVR getting flipped from Vegas to Carolina. First of probably a few (possibly several) similar deals that will come out of the woodwork. Should give us an idea of the return for such players. TVR is a solid young dman. No world beater but a valuable guy as a 4-6 dman.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I want to get on the record now that I don't want Eberle. I much prefer Gally or Duchene

I don't mind Eberle as the 2nd big piece this offseason (depending on cost of course). I'd be pretty damn furious if he is our main acquisition though. They gotta get Duchene or Galchenyuk (sp?)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Other then Bennett not really sure what the Flames have to offer that I can see them willing to trade

Mikael Backlund.

Came 4th in Selke voting this past season while posting 53 points.

One year away from UFA, but a damn good centerman.

Probably not the name people want to hear and don't know if he's a match for a Hamonic swap, but that is the only one that comes to mind.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Mikael Backlund.

Probably not the name people want to hear and don't know if he's a match for a Hamonic swap, but that is the only one that comes to mind.

Soon as I read this I thought we'd make partners, but as you mention Backlund is the only piece that makes sense. J.Hockey must be off the table along with Monahan

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Mikael Backlund.

I like Backlund but he's not much different than if we had a 3 years younger Frans Nielsen. Wasn't the 2nd line driver we needed even though he was a great 2 way player and formidable on offense.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I'm hoping they leave Bailey on the top line unless they make two big moves this summer. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Mikael Backlund.

Interesting thought. Very interesting thought...

LongIslanders

Feb 28, 2017
Mikael Backlund.

Sounds like a Frans Nielsen replacement which is actually something this team could really use.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I would say a legit 2nd line might be more important then finding the perfect winger for Tavares(ie say if you make trades for Eberle and Duchene and put them on the same line and keep the Tavares line intact, that might work better then trying to find the perfect fit for tavares)

As I look at our roster now, I see the Tavares line and 3 pseudo 3rd lines, the Tavares line and legit 2nd line and 2 pseudo third lines would be an improvement

'fans' want a 1st line winger for some fantasy reason. Makes them feel good, good for fantasy point lovers, and points!!! I mean Crosby has the best wings on the planet...

The 'team' wants a 2nd line center. Much like Malkin is the 2nd line center.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I like Backlund but he's not much different than if we had a 3 years younger Frans Nielsen. Wasn't the 2nd line driver we needed even though he was a great 2 way player and formidable on offense.

But he looks like the kind of player we seek while Barzal gets in a year of pro hockey.

Granted, don't like that he's a UFA after this season. That can't be what you get in return for a locked up, cost-controlled righty Dman in his mid-20s.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I think the best thing to do is expect.......nothing. This is the Islanders and Garth Snow we are talking about, I would not get your hopes up that a trade will be made. At least that's what I'm doing. If anything good happens, then it'll be a pleasant surprise.

It's pretty obvious he's doing something. In the end, it's not gonna matter bc as we all know fans know the better or best deal over the Isles 'stupid' GM.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
It's pretty obvious he's doing something. In the end, it's not gonna matter bc as we all know fans know the better or best deal over the Isles 'stupid' GM.

is this any different than you thinking you know better than all the other "stupid" posters here? garth has done nothing to earn our benefit of the doubt--to act otherwise is simply playing devils advocate--am i hoping he does a great job today--hell yes? will i admit that i am very happy with what he did during the expansion draft? hell yes

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
i think he also wore 90 at one point

Really? When was that?

I've only seen him wear 9 or 92 (Team Canada one year). I'd have to think if he was acquired, he'd be wearing #92.

4667309418_1e400a5acf.jpg

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Mikael Backlund.

Rather Sam Bennett

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Also don't forget that one of those western Canadian teams are completely out of any trade involving Hamonic since they leaked the trade request last off season. Staple said snow knows who it is and won't trade with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad