Speculation: The Offseason: III (All Offseason Wishlist/Strategy Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I can't guess how the rest would shake out for the top 6 but as far as the bottom six, if Kulemin was moved and Hartnell was bought out, would you like to keep Chimera across from Ladd and put Hartnell next to Casey and Clutter?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I can't guess how the rest would shake out for the top 6 but as far as the bottom six, if Kulemin was moved and Hartnell was bought out, would you like to keep Chimera across from Ladd and put Hartnell next to Casey and Clutter?

Do we really need another LW?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Do we really need another LW?

In some circumstances, yes.

Like if you are set on Chimera being a right wing

Or if you lose Nelson in the expansion draft

And if you are dead set on keeping Beauvillier at center

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-X-Chimera
X-Beauvillier-Ho-Sang
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

With Strome, Quine, and Prince as extras.

NYI would essentially need a one year placeholder for Dal Colle, I would think.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
With Strome, Quine, and Prince as extras.

One thing I can say with great certainty:
If Strome survives this summer with the NYI, a Doug Weight-coached team will not be seeing him as an extra. He'll be getting top 6 playing time until and unless he slumps his way out of it.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I dont know why (well actually I do know why) but I just have this feeling with all the talk of how many options the Isles have and how they are really looking to make big moves and that this is a huge offseason for them, that this is what will happen:
1)no deal before expansion draft, Isles lose De Haan or Nelson
2) Isles make their pick at #15 as planned in the entry draft
3) No big trades
4) No big free agent signings
5) Add a third line type forward for depth
6) Both team and JT agree that they will wait on an extension and enters the season with no new deal
7) We enter next season with just about the exact same team

Honestly, would anybody be all that surprised if this happened?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I dont know why (well actually I do know why) but I just have this feeling with all the talk of how many options the Isles have and how they are really looking to make big moves and that this is a huge offseason for them, that this is what will happen:
3) No big trades
6) Both team and JT agree that they will wait on an extension and enters the season with no new deal

If this does happen, pretty sure Tavares will move along after this season.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
3) No big trades

Well if that happens I hope the Islanders won't be surprised when the arena isn't even half filled up or weekday games. Doing the things you laid out will be step one in this team being moved out of NY. Snow has been tied to getting a big name in here for the past year (and already tried with Vanek), so I see this as a perfect time to bring someone in. I would be very surprised if they have a typical offseason.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
3) No big trades

Sadly, as a 20+ year Isles fan....I would be more surprised if this didn't happen. Improving the team via trade and UFA's would basically be shocking at this point.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
If this does happen, pretty sure Tavares will move along after this season.

And to be quite honest, it would kill me as Ill always root for the Isles but if someone as dedicated as JT seems to be to the Isles leaves because he doesn't see a future here....I might be rooting more for the team JT goes too.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
And to be quite honest, it would kill me as Ill always root for the Isles but if someone as dedicated as JT seems to be to the Isles leaves because he doesn't see a future here....I might be rooting more for the team JT goes too.

if the new owners were to allow our franchise player to leave like that ... i think they would be even worse than wang ....these guys invested a lot of money into buying the team and i do not think this will happen

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
3) No big trades

Yes, extremely surprised. In fact, I'm telling you that this won't happen.

It might have in previous years, but not now, if for nothing else than the fact that going into the next season without a long-term commitment from Tavares is just about the death knell for this team!

Snow has far, far too much to lose by sitting around and having a ho-hum summer.

The importance of ensuring Tavares' future as the face of this franchise is vast and will have a huge impact on the long-term future.

As has been pointed out in other posts and articles, allowing a situation like the one with Stamkos to arise would have a significant impact on the entire franchise and most likely not end up with the same conclusion.

This said, denote the following:
1) Expansion draft aside, we currently have 9(!) Dmen who are scheduled for the NHL next season. None of them can return to the AHL without going through waivers.
2) The team's record after Weight became coach was very promising. Several players including Strome and Ladd showed clear upward trends and swings in production.
3) Boychuk and Cizikas, two of our most important heart-n-soul players, missed considerable time last season.
4) Hamonic had his worst season ever, like Boychuk did before him, and these types of things are generally followed by a bounce-back season.
5) Both Beauvillier and Ho-Sang showed they belong in this league and are ready to take big steps in helping the team right away.
6) There is still no high scoring winger playing with Tavares.
7) The team still doesn't have a set 2nd line center, much less one that compares with that of the opponents in the conference.

My conclusion:
Snow doesn't have to trade the farm or overpay for anything in deals, but there a number of pressing issues that simply must be dealt with and one way or the other, several will have to involve the shifting of assets. He can't just sit around that this summer. And it won't happen.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
One thing I can say with great certainty:
If Strome survives this summer with the NYI, a Doug Weight-coached team will not be seeing him as an extra. He'll be getting top 6 playing time until and unless he slumps his way out of it.

Sorry, I meant extras as in guys to fill the positions I listed as X above.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Rags just bought out Girardi! They'll be happy to be rid of him but now gotta keep paying his buyout for the next 6 years.

Still, nobody get surprised when they sign Shatty

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Rags just bought out Girardi! They'll be happy to be rid of him but now gotta keep paying his buyout for the next 6 years.

They should've kept Yandle and did this awhile ago. Shattenkirk is garbage ES. Putting points up on the PP is no excuse for poor d-zone coverage.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

So they'll be replacing ****** with Shatty?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Another defenseman to aquire to keep Pulock n Bridgeport.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

If we lose a defenseman in the next couple week, Girardi might not be a bad option B for the right price(if he has a family staying in NY might work to our advantage). I know he gets ragged alot on the Rangers board but he is still a serviceable player say at 2.5-3M

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If we lose a defenseman in the next couple week, Girardi might not be a bad option B for the right price(if he has a family staying in NY might work to our advantage). I know he gets ragged alot on the Rangers board but he is still a serviceable player say at 2.5-3M

He's terrible. That's the worst idea ever

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

He's Brian Strait level bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad