The official University of Michigan thread

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Michigan did a great job showing everybody how overrated Matt Frattin is. Congrats :handclap:

Honestly, I put a lot of that on Hakstol. NoDak had an arrogant gameplan. They never made an effort to get people to the front of the net and actually work to manufacture a gritty goal. It was all perimiter stuff all night long. Frattin was isolated all game long, which was obviously Berenson's plan. But Hakstol never countered.

And, of course, Hunwick robbed him a time or two.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
Just got back... what a game!!! I couldn't believe how well Hunwick played in net. Also, Merrill was a complete monster in the defensive end. Clearly the best player on the ice.

Next up, UMD... GO BLUE!!!

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
Just got home. Crushed.

My three thoughts:

1. Michigan scored 3 goals. That disallow was complete BS.

2. The refs played a MUCH to active role in the game. TheUM y stifled any flow and called some ridiculous penalties. UMD had NINE powerplays. They were not all deserved.

3. UMD's forwards played a stellar game. They carried the play to Michigan.

Now, I shall drink my night into oblivion.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
BIG pick-up for the Wolverines, as NDTP defensman Jacob Trouba committed to the Wolverines. Trouba is a top-10 talent in the 2012 draft and is described as Cam Fowler, but with an edge. :)

Trouba_U18MWCAction.jpg

If Jon Merrill stays for a third year, the top pairing will be sick.

http://mgoblog.com/content/hello-eh-jacob-trouba

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
Michigan is off to a 4-0 start and a #1 USCHO ranking. All without top player Jon Merrill, who was suspended for the first 12 games for violation of team rules. There are whispers that Merrill may join the Plymouth Whalers, who hold his OHL rights. If true, it'd be a huge loss for the Maize and Blue.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Mac Bennett has been racking up the assists so far. Any thoughts on his play so far this season?

He is a solid college d-man. He is shooting the puck more this year and is playing with more confidence.

I still have doubts about his NHL potential, but I also had doubts about Steve Kampfer and he has been ok. I think he'll be a four year player here and then who knows.

The Habs have drafted and traded for plenty of guys from this program so they know he is in good hands.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Mac Bennett has been racking up the assists so far. Any thoughts on his play so far this season?

As Herby has stated, Mac's shooting more and playing with more confidence, but I'll add a couple more observations here. First, he looks stronger this season, so obviously the time in the weight room has helped, especially in his defensive play. Second, he needs to add some more grit to this game. In last night's game vs. WMU, I think he threw the body maybe twice. Meanwhile, his defensive partner (and fellow Canadiens draft pick) was banging bodies left and right.

Now some observations from last night's (11/4/11) game vs. WMU, which BTW, was a terrific game, despite Michigan coming out on the losing end of it:

1) I didn't think either goalie was all that impressive, although both had their moments.

2) The Broncos look like they've picked up from where they left off last season and are looking really, really good. I love the fact that they never gave up on plays, especially on Walters' game-winner.

3) The Wolverines were very effective when they were playing the body and pressuring the puck carriers, problem was that they didn't do it consistently throughout the game. And some lapses/mistakes led to at least two of the Broncos' goals.

4) Phil DiGiuseppe was very impressive. He plays with a lot of poise and confidence. I just love his hands! I can see now why scouts are so high on this kid. He made some rookie mistakes, but nothing that can't be fixed.

5) Greg Pateryn IMO was the best player for Michigan. In addition to banging bodies, he was very solid in his own end. I thought he was especially good on the PK.

6) For WMU, IMO Danny DeKeyser was their best and most consistent player of the game. He was making a ton of smart plays and both ends of the ice and did a nice job on staying with the Michigan forwards that he was assigned to.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Pateryn has been awesome this season. To watch his progression from a raw freshman to where he is right now is remarkable and just shows, despite what the idiot GM of my favorite NHL team thinks, Red and the staff know how to develop players.

I think he could be challenging for an NHL spot in a couple of years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Pateryn has been awesome this season. To watch his progression from a raw freshman to where he is right now is remarkable and just shows, despite what the idiot GM of my favorite NHL team thinks, Red and the staff know how to develop players.

I think he could be challenging for an NHL spot in a couple of years.

He's made nice progress over the last two years, I saw him for the first time this season this past weekend and thought he looked the best I've ever seen from him. A couple seasons in the AHL should be interesting to see how much more he can develop.

doogie24

Jan 27, 2009
Ontario
Any regular vistors of Yost in here? Thinking about cashing in on the cheap tickets to go see Union this sunday. I've never been to a true home game, only to the matchups at the Joe. What I'm wondering is, will this be a somewhat of a waste? I know the best atmosphere will be vs. State or the other major rivals, but will the student section still be rocking on a Sunday afternoon on Thanksgiving weekend?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad