The official University of Michigan thread

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
Wow the Wolverines have tumbled so far. What's happening to this team?

The perceived team strength, its defensive depth, has been a black hole for talent. The lack of Jon Merrill solidifying the top pairing is really hurting the team. In addition, Hunwick has regressed a bit, but should hopefully turn it around. This year has followed last year's pattern... just need to get that roll started.

skatesharpener

May 19, 2011
a lot of questions

first, is berenson the right coach? it doesn't appear so
second, did he recruit the right players? maybe not
thirdly, whats he (berenson) going to do to fix the many problems and what are they (the athletic director and school admin) going to do if it doesn't get done(fixed)?

skatesharpener

May 19, 2011
defence needs to tighten up but the main problem, forwards need to do a better job of backchecking and thinking about the team......not their stat sheets. thats the difference between ncaa coaching and the pros. pro coachs Demand two-way play from forwards. be responsible defensively first then scoring chances will come out as a result.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
Berenson is the right coach and is an icon at the university. He'd have to have a ton of skeletons in his closet in order to be fired.

skatesharpener

May 19, 2011
no such thing as icon in sports

in sports your only as good as your last season. lose enough games and suddenly the star that shined brightly starts getting dimmer and dimmer. berenson can afford a stinker of a year like he's having this year but not next year.

getting out coached by smaller schools with a lot less talent and much smaller budgets.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
if your proposal begins with removing Red, it's flawed. He could go winless for the next 5 years and nobody would even consider getting rid of him

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Really hope Merrill is allowed to play at some point this season. I want to get up for a game to see him.

But he's obviously made some mistakes and needs to show everyone that he has learned from them before he's allowed to resume his hockey season.

36kap36

Jan 21, 2011
Ohio
Couldn't see the ice while at the game, was stuck in the OSU student section, but I was still there cheering for the Wolverines! Oh yeah, Brutus also shoved me pretty hard...so, all in all, good time watching the win yesterday.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah, Brutus also shoved me pretty hard...

Did you shove back? :laugh:

It was a thoroughly dominating effort by Michigan. One of the best games that I've seen them play all year. And that Guptill-Wohlberg-Brown is just burning things up right now.

Everyone seems to focus on how Merrill's played since he's returned, but I've gotta say that Pateryn IMO is Michigan's best defenseman right now. Doesn't put the points like Merrill does, but he's the glue that holds the Wolverines defense together.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Michigan vs. Miami - 2/4/12

Well it was certainly a spirited affair, especially near the end of the game. The teams combined for 98 penalty minutes and two DQs. Chris Brown and Will Weber dropped the mitts, so both won't be playing next week.

I actually saw both games this weekend and the Wolverines really dominated, especially in the first game. The thing that disappointed me was that Miami didn't come out with that fire that I've grown so used to seeing out of them. Anybody remember that great (and controversial) Mason Cup championship game a few years back between these two teams? That's the type of Miami team I was expecting to see this weekend and didn't.

As usually Hunwick played really great. Made some terrific stops. However on that one goal that was reviewed and ruled a non-goal, Hunwick can thank Lee Moffie for helping him out on that save. ;)

I thought this was one of Moffie's best games, certainly this season. Yeah, he scored two goals in the game, but was just as effective in his own end playing alongside Merrill. I thought Merrill was good, not great in the game. And I don't think he really had to be considering how good the team as whole played.

BTW, anyone else think that the CCHA might hand down a suspension to Guptill on that spear near the end of the game?

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
Pateryn is our anchor on the blueline, no doubt. Beat NMU twice, bring on Bowling Green !

3rd on the USCHO Rankings Poll, and tied for 2nd with UMass-Lowell on the PWR. Rough start for us, but things are picking up, and it is hard not to get excited for a potential run in the tourney.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Pateryn is our anchor on the blueline, no doubt. Beat NMU twice, bring on Bowling Green !

3rd on the USCHO Rankings Poll, and tied for 2nd with UMass-Lowell on the PWR. Rough start for us, but things are picking up, and it is hard not to get excited for a potential run in the tourney.

Should be a sweep for the Wolverines, although I don't think BGSU is just going to hand them the wins. They may sit at the bottom of the CCHA, but the Falcons have played some top teams (CCHA and otherwise) pretty tough this season.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Go Blue!

not one of their deeper teams, but they did lose a few top recruits along the way, especially Jack Campbell. hope they pull it out, would love to see them square off with Denver if they can beat Colgate.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Same I really thought this team wasn't as good as past teams but I seems weirf that college hockey isn't best out 3 in playoffs seems weird. Anyone can get a lucky bounce like yesterday.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Red's boys better tighten their chin-straps now that Bucky is a conference partner;) I'm not the biggest fan of this switch but it will nice having you guys and Sparty in the mix on a regular basis; I always liked the Holiday Classic games. The BIg Ten won't be too shoddy as a conference with Bucky on the rise and Oz injecting some Badger Hockey into OSU.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad