The official University of Michigan thread

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Good news for Michigan....they came back last night and took it to RIT 7-2.

The bad news for Michigan.....their injuries are beginning to pile up. Jonny Merrill is out with a broken vertebra and Justin Selman is injured. To compound that, they lost Kevin Clare last night to what looks like an arm or shoulder injury. The Wolverines have a great defense unit this year, but losing Merrill and Clare - two of their top six defensemen - will test the blueline for sure, especially if Clare is out for an extended period of time.

Adam Schnepp

Jul 29, 2012
The injuries are troublesome, especially because the goaltenders are relatively unproven and could use a solid D in front of them. Rutledge started Thursday night and was shaky enough to be replaced by Racine on Friday. The good news? Trouba looks every bit as talented as he's purported to be.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I saw the Friday game vs. RIT and Trouba and Nieves really impressed me. I thought Racine was solid and Andrew sinelli was a tough and gritty kid who is so necessary. I think UM is very solid and if the frosh continue to play well UM is going to do some winning this year.

skatesharpener

May 19, 2011
One has to wonder about Michigans scouting and recruiting. It appears weak. Just look at some of the players they have given commitments to. One has to shake their head.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
One has to wonder about Michigans scouting and recruiting. It appears weak. Just look at some of the players they have given commitments to. One has to shake their head.

Huh? Michigan has had very solid recruiting classes, with the only obvious weakness being goaltending. And it's not like they are whiffing on elite goaltending prospects, they have just had the unfortune of 2 blue chip goalies committing, and then going to the OHL.

skatesharpener

May 19, 2011
Looks like Michigan has a wasted year. Off to a bad start in 2013 losing what 5 to 1 to a weak bowling green team. Maybe it's time for Red to move on. A little long in the tooth.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Per @markedwardsHP: Unconfirmed but heard from a couple sources that U of Michigan might be losing a player to OHL.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
rough year with injuries :shakehead. Losing to Bowling Green was the death blow it seems to me. :shakehead

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
rough year with injuries :shakehead. Losing to Bowling Green was the death blow it seems to me. :shakehead

And after being swept by WMU for the first time since like about 1986, kind of makes the Wolverines' outlook for a ticket to the big dance even bleaker.

Think Berenson and his assistants are heavily going after a goalie for next season right about now?

skatesharpener

May 19, 2011
"Think Berenson and his assistants are heavily going after a goalie for next season right about now".

One would think that Berenson needs a new scouting staff. These goalies are brutal. Saw the games over the weekend. Michigan just looks disorganized. Berenson plays his two top lines a lot because he doesn't have much after that. The third line is terrible and the two top lines are out of gas by the third. Red needs to have a better balanced team as well as getting rid of the D3 goalies.

There is no excuse for Michigan to be losing almost every game. Somebody has made a big mistake.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
"Think Berenson and his assistants are heavily going after a goalie for next season right about now".

One would think that Berenson needs a new scouting staff. These goalies are brutal. Saw the games over the weekend. Michigan just looks disorganized. Berenson plays his two top lines a lot because he doesn't have much after that. The third line is terrible and the two top lines are out of gas by the third. Red needs to have a better balanced team as well as getting rid of the D3 goalies.

There is no excuse for Michigan to be losing almost every game. Somebody has made a big mistake.

One thing you're forgetting or overlooking is that Michigan also lost Mel Pearson to Michigan Tech. Pearson was and continues to be widely regarded as one of the top recruiters in college hockey. Prior to leaving Ann Arbor after the 2010-11 season, Pearson was responsible for bringing in many of the top players that have donned the maize and blue over the years - including Marty Turco (since we are talking goalies here).

While I think asst. coach Billy Powers has a very good eye for talent, I don't think he has quite the eye that Pearson had when it came to bringing in the type of top end talent that would fit in well with Michigan's system.

I'm not making any excuses here for Michigan's dreadful season, but since you brought up the recruiting staff I'm merely pointing out that the team lost one of the best recruiters in the biz. Michigan's loss is Tech's gain.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Michigan sweeps archrival MSU - their first sweep of the season.

Next weekend, they get Notre Dame and it should be interesting how that series plays out since both teams haven't exactly ripped things up since the start of 2013.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->