The Official Tank Thread / Draft Lottery Thread

Where to the habs end up in the standings?

• Total voters

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Crosby took 3 mil less to stay and win in Pittsburgh. If Tavares thinks that Nashville is the place where he wants to finish his career and win, i dont see why he wouldn't take 10mil for 8 years.
But we will find out.

Crosby signed 12 years. If the limit was 8, pretty sure he would've signed a bigger deal.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
They've been trying to find a goalie for the better part of 2 decades, and D is just as hard to fix as a hole at C. See: us, the Oilers, the Leafs...

Look at the defence Pittsburgh won two Cups with.

Why? They were well coached and having so many offensive options up front with a hot young goalie mitigated the issues on the backend.

Tavares and Barzal, you add a dynamic winger to that like Pittsburgh added Kessel? You got something going.

The Islanders are also idiots and dropped Roberto Luongo for nothing, so no, they haven't been looking. They had it and they willingly lost it.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Guys that’s why he traded Eller, because he got Shaw in exchange by switching seconds. If he didn’t get Shaw he wouldn’t have traded Eller.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Look at the defence Pittsburgh won two Cups with.

Why? They were well coached and having so many offensive options up front with a hot young goalie mitigated the issues on the backend.

Tavares and Barzal, you add a dynamic winger to that like Pittsburgh added Kessel? You got something going.

The Islanders are also idiots and dropped Roberto Luongo for nothing, so no, they haven't been looking. They had it and they willingly lost it.

They've had 15 different goalies since the 2010 season....if that isn't 'looking for a solution,' I don't know what is

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Guys that’s why he traded Eller, because he got Shaw in exchange by switching seconds. If he didn’t get Shaw he wouldn’t have traded Eller.

I think the reason Eller was traded is the Habs felt that Danault made him expendable. IIRC, MB said it himself. The Shaw trade may have not occured and Eller would still probably be traded. The trades may have been made back-to-back, but I don't think one has to do with the other.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hawks have gone to ****. So glad we have their 2nd.
Its crazy. They should have moved their big players to stay healthy. Its a business and being loyal will get you that. Moving Seabrook back in 16 when he had his 50 points season was so obvious.

If they move Seabrook that year and one of Kane or Toews before signing theyre right back in it right now. Its hard to move one of the face of your franchise but its a lot easier than locking yourself up in mediocrity. He did it on their first cup and he was applauded for it...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the reason Eller was traded is the Habs felt that Danault made him expendable. IIRC, MB said it himself. The Shaw trade may have not occured and Eller would still probably be traded. The trades may have been made back-to-back, but I don't think one has to do with the other.

The other issue was depth on RW. Adding Shaw meant Eller was expendable. The guy that should of be let go was DD though. Shaw/Eller >> Shaw/DD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Eller had the value, not DD.

Agreed. So are you saying we needed to trade Eller instead of DD because we could recoup the 2- 2nd's and DD would not of returned us much? If so, it's a valid point and I suspect it was part the equation when Bergevin wanted to acquire Shaw and address the "Character" issue he thought we had and he also helped our RW depth. Interesting dilemma with acquiring Shaw and to keep Eller and lose 2- 2nd's or acquire Shaw and trade Eller and replace the picks.

Also... what do you think Eller gets in his next contract? He is on track for having his best full season yet... 41pts and 16 goals. $4M AAV? Will be interesting to see who gets more. Danault or Eller in their next contracts. One is RFA and the other is UFA though.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
We're making up ground folks. The way I see it FLA and Det aren't threats (unless they go on a huge streak, but until that happens let's assume they're not). NYR is in freefall. Our biggest targets right now are:

Philly
Columbus
NYI
Carolina

If we win in regulation tonight and get a bit of lucky with other game (ie NYI loses in regulation), it would put us at:

52 points in 54 games.

7 points behind philly with 2 more head to heads
6 points behind Columbus (they have 1 game in hand)
6 points behind NYI (we get 1 game in hand)
5 points behind Carolina (same games played)

Our path to the playoffs then becomes:

Win 2 head to heads against Philly
Win 2 head to heads against NYI
Win 1 head to head against Columbus

Play above 500 overall.

If we win our important games, play above 500 overall, and if less than 2 of those 4 teams go on a crazy hot streak (ie play for slightly above 500 as their current pace shows) - I think we can still realistically make playoffs without needing to do anything extraordinary.

Who else still believes?

I think i found Goef Molson account on hfboards.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We're making up ground folks. The way I see it FLA and Det aren't threats (unless they go on a huge streak, but until that happens let's assume they're not). NYR is in freefall. Our biggest targets right now are:

Philly
Columbus
NYI
Carolina

If we win in regulation tonight and get a bit of lucky with other game (ie NYI loses in regulation), it would put us at:

52 points in 54 games.

Play above 500 overall.

If we win our important games, play above 500 overall, and if less than 2 of those 4 teams go on a crazy hot streak (ie play for slightly above 500 as their current pace shows) - I think we can still realistically make playoffs without needing to do anything extraordinary.

Who else still believes?

You're about the only one, Bub.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton

Philly
Columbus
NYI
Carolina

52 points in 54 games.

Play above 500 overall.

Who else still believes?

Awful post. Habs have a 1.7% chance of making the playoffs; with those odds might as well admit defeat and embrace the tank.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

Philly
Columbus
NYI
Carolina

52 points in 54 games.

Play above 500 overall.

Who else still believes?
Even IF I believe, why would I want this?

Even if the impossible happens and we make the playoffs, unless each team we face suddenly has every single star player go down with an injury, there is no chance we would get into sniffing distance to the cup...so why not do something that would make the team better instead of treading water in quicksand?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Even IF I believe, why would I want this?

Even if the impossible happens and we make the playoffs, unless each team we face suddenly has every single star player go down with an injury, there is no chance we would get into sniffing distance to the cup...so why not do something that would make the team better instead of treading water in quicksand?

We disagree in philosophy

i believe any team who gets into the playoffs has a 'puncher's chance'.

I don't believe that rebuilding through the draft necessarily works.

Which is why i rather make the playoffs and try our luck than miss them and hope it leads to success in future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad