The Official Tank Thread / Draft Lottery Thread

Where to the habs end up in the standings?

• Total voters

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
How is my plan any different than yours?

You really don’t know? Your hope is to sign one player. My plan is to sell everyone over 25 except Price and get prospects and draft picks. Tavares doesn’t fit in my plan because, to suck enough to fill your holes with elite players, you can’t have players that turn us into a middle team.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's dream here... We win the lottery an draft Dahlin and?

I would target Tavares and tell him we are going after another piece (sign Backlund or try to negotiate a sign/trade for McDonaugh).

- $80M Salary Cap
- Tavares at $12M for 7 years
- Backlund at $7M for 7 years or dangle Mete and Poehling and picks for McDonagh in a sign and trade ($7-$8M for 7 years)
- Trade Alzner and dangle Hudon to make the deal work.
- Trade Shaw for futures

Take your pick between Backlund or McDonagh but I think you can find a roster that looks good in either case when you add one of them as well as Tavares and Dahlin. Offloading Shaw and Alzner and a salary cap increase next year makes it all fit and with a bit of wiggle room.

Winning the draft Lottery and getting Dahlin could start a motion of events that turn our team around quick.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I would target Tavares and tell him we are going after another piece (sign Backlund or try to negotiate a sign/trade for McDonaugh).

- $80M Salary Cap
- Tavares at $12M for 7 years
- Backlund at $7M for 7 years or dangle Mete and Poehling and picks for McDonagh in a sign and trade ($7-$8M for 7 years)
- Trade Alzner and dangle Hudon to make the deal work.
- Trade Shaw for futures

Take your pick between Backlund or McDonagh but I think you can find a roster that looks good in either case when you add one of them as well as Tavares and Dahlin. Offloading Shaw and Alzner and a salary cap increase next year makes it all fit and with a bit of wiggle room.

Winning the draft Lottery and getting Dahlin could start a motion of events that turn our team around quick.

We're talking about Mikael Backlund? 7M?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We're talking about Mikael Backlund? 7M?

Max. It would be nice to get him at $5M - $6M but you will have to over pay for a UFA. Signing Tavares ($12M max) and Backlund ($7M max) is huge contracts but the only other contract we would have to negotiate would be Patch. All other core assets are locked up for several years and by the time Galchenyuk needs a new contract, the salary cap grows for 3 years. Deal with cap issues then.

The point was to show what kind of salaries we can fit in. We have lots of room to explore various free agents if circumstance works in our favor... Dahlin would be a kick start.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
So he steps in right away? next year, first pair at 18 years old?

He's most probably a generational talent. Him playing with Weber would be the best thing imaginable for his development, if we get him. And Weber would finally get a well deserved 1st pairing talent, and yes, even at 18 years old.

And yes, he will make mistakes, but he'll learn, it's not like we have anything worthwhile on our left side anyway. (well, Mete is, he's 19 btw, and he's already better than every D in the lineup besides Petry, and nowhere near the same kind of talent as Dahlin)

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
People didn't want to give Radulov his $ and term and now we are talking about giving Mikael Backlund 7m/per. lol
Yeah nuts right!?
Bergevin had Radulov and he let him slip through his finger for whatever stupid reason he had. Radulov is worth 6.75mil that Bergevin should have offered/matched.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

For a 1st overall? Definitely. The Habs had a 19-year old 4th rounder start next to Weber and the kid didn't look out of place. There is very good reason to believe Dahlin could step in on the top pair and have success.

If you ask me, Dahlin and Mete sounds much more promising as your top two LD than Benn and Schlemko or Benn and Alzner or Schlemko and Alzner or Schlemko and Morrow, etc.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
There was an interview with Peter Forsberg in the Swedish news (Forsberg is going there to be an expert commentator in the Olympics). He said that Dahlin is a fantastic talent but he worried about all the media frenzy around him since this has never happened to a Swedish player before. Dahlin is on a training camp right now with the Olympics team and will fly to Korea tomorrow. He will play with a Swede that's playing in the KHL with a very hard shot.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

On our team, sure. On a contender, he’d probably have to ripen up some more. That said, we got a 19 year old, while talented, isn’t near Dahlin’s level, who played first pair for a while with Weber and certainly didn’t hurt us.

Does this say more about the team or the player? I can see some debate there, but unless we overhaul our defense again this summer, Dahlin can certainly step right into our sorry mess and likely be in the top-4 right off the bat before training camp.

Will he be the solution? No, but it’s a step forward.

Reactions: ArsHabs

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Let's dream here... We win the lottery an draft Dahlin and?

Ensure the current management is no where near this rebuild and appoint the best available personnel. We would only be a few pieces from a competent team. Getting Dahlin though is the unlikely part in this equation.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If we did somehow win the lottery, I'd definitely take Dahlin and pair him with Weber. Would be a great situation for all parties. Then you obviously do a full court press for Tavares. It's part of the reason I think we can afford to hold onto Pacioretty. He'd be a key asset in enticing JT.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
If we did somehow win the lottery, I'd definitely take Dahlin and pair him with Weber. Would be a great situation for all parties. Then you obviously do a full court press for Tavares. It's part of the reason I think we can afford to hold onto Pacioretty. He'd be a key asset in enticing JT.
Why would this be? Who is Max Pacioretty to Tavares?

Instead we should deal Max and get a 1st and a C or LD prospect. There are wingers to be had as UFA, sign Neal or JVR or hell, tell JT we'll sign Josh Bailey as a package deal. UFA winger plus assets for Max > keeping Max into an uncertain UFA year. Max is a good player, of course but I don't see him as a guy that would sway an elite UFA to come here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad