The Official Sidney Crosby Sporadic Post Thread(If he's chipped a nail, post it here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Crosby is a whining wimp

What do I make of these stories?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=72075

[url]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040213/chl_rim-cp.html [/url]

Crosby is a whining wimp, that's what this is about. Ah poor, Sidney, he can't handle getting hit and the physical side of hockey. All superstar players need to deal with increased attention and this primadonna isn't even drafted yet and he's already whining and complaining.

He should go to Europe and he should stay there. If he's afraid of the QUEBEC MAJOR JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE than he certainly won't be able to handle the NHL.

This is a great way to brand yourself as a major league wimp. Now casual fans will now associate him with being soft and afraid of physical play. Nothing could really hurt his stock more than stunts like this and stupid threats about quitting.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
JamieG said:
What do I make of these stories?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=72075

[url]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040213/chl_rim-cp.html [/url]

Crosby is a whining wimp, that's what this is about. Ah poor, Sidney, he can't handle getting hit and the physical side of hockey. All superstar players need to deal with increased attention and this primadonna isn't even drafted yet and he's already whining and complaining.

He should go to Europe and he should stay there. If he's afraid of the QUEBEC MAJOR JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE than he certainly won't be able to handle the NHL.

This is a great way to brand yourself as a major league wimp. Now casual fans will now associate him with being soft and afraid of physical play. Nothing could really hurt his stock more than stunts like this and stupid threats about quitting.

Or you could be underestimating him.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Underestimating?

How do you figure that? There's no estimating about it. Teams target him for attention because he's a top player and he can't take it and is now skipping games because of it and is even threatening going to europe because he can't handle it.

The Big P

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
He hasn't said he can't handle it. The just thinks that if other teams are going to give him extra punishment that they should also be getting extra penalties.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
He is NOT PLAYING

He hasn't said he can't handle it.

Well, considering that he is actually going to skip games because of it and is threatening to play in Europe, I would say that it would be fair to say he can't handle it. Running away from the game and not playing is not being able to handle it in my books.

I don't know if his parents spearheaded this or if this was his idea, but it's the worst possible thing he could have done. Aside from what I already mentioned, him being branded soft, a whiner and wimp (read the readers comments on tsn.ca article), he is now let every opposing coach and player in the world know that if you give him an extra shot and give him special attention, he's likely to take his sticks and go home and quit. This will be the m.o. now.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
JamieG said:
How do you figure that? There's no estimating about it. Teams target him for attention because he's a top player and he can't take it and is now skipping games because of it and is even threatening going to europe because he can't handle it.

Teams target him illegally because he is a top player. Nobody is complaining because they check him closely.

He's a lot tougher than you think he is. He's not backing down on the ice and goes into corners as hard as anyone. He's not just leading the League in scoring but as a 16 year old playing on a .500 hockey team he's close to lthe League lead in plus/minus as well.

I don't necessarily agree/disagree with Rimouskis stance but it may to some degree be an effective one. Certainly few other players could draw the attention to "somethings wrong here" as effectively as Sid; Certainly not at the box office.

Are you underestimating him?

Goalie Terrorizer

Mar 6, 2002
Québec cty
Visit site
I don't understand some people ! When we talk about the NHL and the way it should be changed to improve the quality of the game, evrybody agrees that the major problem is that there is too much hooking, cross-checking and «cheap-shoting». Everybody wants the refs to call all the deserved penalties in order to let the talented players show the best of themselves. But as soon as a star player wakes up and complains about officiating (ex : Thornton, Roenick and now Crosby), they suddently become little whiners and players that can't handle the physical play ! Man, they're exactly pointing out the same things as we do : the officiating is horrible and penalties that should be called are not called. Make up your mind ! Do you want that the best players be able to play or that a little punk hooks them and cross-checks them all night ? If Crosby was shut down in all legalty, I would agree that he is just a whiner, but it is not the case !

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
JamieG said:
Nothing could really hurt his stock more than stunts like this and stupid threats about quitting.

Nothing can hurt his stock short of homicide... He's going to go first overall no matter what, and every team in the NHL wants him, no matter the cost.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Goalie Terrorizer said:
I don't understand some people ! When we talk about the NHL and the way it should be changed to improve the quality of the game, evrybody agrees that the major problem is that there is too much hooking, cross-checking and «cheap-shoting». Everybody wants the refs to call all the deserved penalties in order to let the talented players show the best of themselves. But as soon as a star player wakes up and complains about officiating (ex : Thornton, Roenick and now Crosby), they suddently become little whiners and players that can't handle the physical play ! Man, they're exactly pointing out the same things as we do : the officiating is horrible and penalties that should be called are not called. Make up your mind ! Do you want that the best players be able to play or that a little punk hooks them and cross-checks them all night ? If Crosby was shut down in all legalty, I would agree that he is just a whiner, but it is not the case !

That's why the NHL has to take out the instigator rule. Why do you think Gretz ever had a chance in the NHL...its cos he had a body gurad named Semenko.

GXL

littleD

Someone show me where and when Sidney said he wants to go to Europe.

Read that again. "It's rumoured that..."

In other words, he never said it. And by the looks of things, it's Rimouski who's causing the big stink and having him potentially sit out games, not Crosby himself.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
GorillazXL said:
That's why the NHL has to take out the instigator rule. Why do you think Gretz ever had a chance in the NHL...its cos he had a body gurad named Semenko.

GXL

Wayne had the refs protecting him against cheap shots and Semenko to protect him as well. No other player had this degree of protection...Ever.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
From TSN: QMJHL commissioner Gilles Courteau said he's looking into the matter.

"He's our bread and butter," he said Friday. "If there are cheap shots they have to be called, but he can't be treated differently than any other player in the league."

He is absolutely correct, except, he has a very different opinion of what a cheap shot is than I do or has been turning a blind eye and only addressing the problem because he has to.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
This is all a PR trip for Crosby, quite a bad one if I might add.

Whoever is the brains of this PR campaign(me thinks its his agent) must want Crosby to get even more negative attention then he is already receiving.

‘I know lets paint a giant bullseye on him’

For some reason I do not think Crosby does not want to play or can’t handle the rougher side of the game. However singling him out and benching him because the team does not like the way he is being treated, only hurts Crosby and his team.

When I here from the horses mouth, that next year he will go over to Europe, then I will believe it.

The endless speculation about him quitting or moving is unfounded.

Yes the kid is good at the QMJHL level, but that is not proof that he will succeed at the NHL.

No player is above the rules of hockey, special treatment should never be given to the elite. One set of rules binds all hockey players in the QMJHL.

As long as the refs are making ‘bad calls’ for everyone, then I do not see the problem here.

Crosby is not exactly small in stature: 5'10 185 lbs, he can handle himself (which is what his team should let him do)

And I am in total agreement with people saying if the only reason you are going to a game is to see one player(Crosby or whomever it might be) then you are not a true fan of hockey.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crosbyfan said:
From TSN: QMJHL commissioner Gilles Courteau said he's looking into the matter.

"He's our bread and butter," he said Friday. "If there are cheap shots they have to be called, but he can't be treated differently than any other player in the league."

He is absolutely correct, except, he has a very different opinion of what a cheap shot is than I do or has been turning a blind eye and only addressing the problem because he has to.

Dont you think letting a cheap shot go on someone like JS Cote is just as bad as Crosby? Every player is equal, people need to understanbd that. If Crosby is getting cheap shots why dont they do what the oilers did and play Nielson or Vachon on his wing with Roussin.

Crying to the league and looking like babies is what they are doing. Like the guy who used to take his ball and go home when he didnt like what was heppening.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
La-La-Laprise said:
Dont you think letting a cheap shot go on someone like JS Cote is just as bad as Crosby? .
Absolutely.

La-La-Laprise said:
If Crosby is getting cheap shots why dont they do what the oilers did and play Nielson or Vachon on his wing with Roussin. .

This should not be necessary if the refs make the calls according to the rules.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crosbyfan said:
Absolutely.

This should not be necessary if the refs make the calls according to the rules.

What exactly is happening to Crosby? Is he being jumped or just taking jabs after whistles or slashes? Because unless he is getting jumped and physically beat up the Rimouski fans, Rimouski players and Rimouski mgt should learnt o deal with it.

Crosby is the best player by far in the Q, teams wont just let him skate around.

From my understanding Halifax checked him pretty close 3 days ago and look what happened? The 14th place team in the league won.

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
Folks,
The most recently posted TSN link doesn't have one direct quote or paraphrase from Crosby. How can one whine when one doesn't make a comment? He might have said something in another article, but nothing was mentioned in the link you provided, JamieG, which allegedly claimed he "whined." Just throwing it out there.

I think Rimouski should never have announced that they wouldn't dress him because they feel other teams take too many liberties with him. They should have addressed it internally or made their comments in a general fashion (i.e., without mentioning Crosby specifically). They did nothing but make it more difficult for him.

Crosbyfan,
Gretzky earned the respect of other players. If Crosby is going to have a successful NHL career, he's going to have to learn to deal with physical play and carve out his own niche. He's not the first player who has opposing teams target him and he certainly won't be the last.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
stanley said:
Folks,
The most recently posted TSN link doesn't have one direct quote or paraphrase from Crosby. How can one whine when one doesn't make a comment? He might have said something in another article, but nothing was mentioned in the link you provided, JamieG, which allegedly claimed he "whined." Just throwing it out there.

I think Rimouski should never have announced that they wouldn't dress him because they feel other teams take too many liberties with him. They should have addressed it internally or made their comments in a general fashion (i.e., without mentioning Crosby specifically). They did nothing but make it more difficult for him.

Crosbyfan,
Gretzky earned the respect of other players. If Crosby is going to have a successful NHL career, he's going to have to learn to deal with physical play and carve out his own niche. He's not the first player who has opposing teams target him and he certainly won't be the last.

All players should be treated with the same respect. What did Wayne do differently from Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, Mario Lemieux
etc. I'm sorry but Wayne didn't have to put up with the same level of crap. Nothing against Wayne, I think that he deserved the level of protection that he got, but if all players had that level of protection it would be a better game. The game is physical enough without the cheap shots, there is lots of room to wear a player down or close check him within the rules, if the talent is there to do it. But it takes no talent to punch someone in the head when they're trying to play the puck or after the whistle when they're not expecting it.

Put Bobby Clarke in his prime against Wayne in his prime and Clarke wins on half the talent if the ref doesn't make the calls. It might be an interesting spectacle, but not good hockey.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
It's his dad

Someone show me where and when Sidney said he wants to go to Europe.
Read that again. "It's rumoured that..." In other words, he never said it. And by the looks of things, it's Rimouski who's causing the big stink and having him potentially sit out games, not Crosby himself.

Nice try, Crosby fans. But it's true. By the way, the day the story broke, TSN had a clip of Crosby talking about it shown on Sports Centre.

It's just as I suspected first off. It's Eric Lindros all over again. This whole thing started with his parents. Whether or not it was Sidney first whining to his parents, and then his parents spearheaded it, I don't know. But it's his dad who started the going to Europe thing.

The FAN 590 has a junior hockey show on the weekends. They talk to reporters from all across the country. They have a regular reporter who follows the Quebec league and Rimouski. He was at the game. And he said that after the game, Troy Crosby was furious with his son's treatment and said his son would play in Europe next year or even the new WHL unless something is done about it.

No doubt this is what started the whole thing. Sidney or his dad whining to Rimouski about it and saying if it continues he will leave, and then they respond to the league with this "threat" of sitting him out making a public stink about it.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
leafssuck said:
I don't like the way this looks either, but being the same age as Sid I can say my dad would be pretty pissed at the refs if I took the beating he does.

Of course he would; That's his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad