The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
I haven't looked at the numbers but I don't think it takes a genius to recognize that he means we aren't consistently scoring like last year. This year we have had games where we score a lot (like the last two games) then other stretches where we can't score. I rmr early in the season a lot of teams were scoring a lot

We have been also shutout a lot recently. Tbh maybe you need to check the numbers more closely instead of looking af goals per game average? Seems lazy
Perhaps you should pass that bit of speculative statistical breakdown on to Mr. Dorion so that he can better qualify his statements to the media. I can be lazy, I'm not getting paid to be the GM of the team.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Perhaps you should pass that bit of speculative statistical breakdown on to Mr. Dorion so that he can better qualify his statements to the media. I can be lazy, I'm not getting paid to be the GM of the team.
I guess you missed the point. Perhaps he looked past goals against per game and actually looked at a game by game basis in which case he probably isn't wrong cause have many have pointed out the last two months have been bad with multiple shutouts against

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
I guess you missed the point. Perhaps he looked past goals against per game and actually looked at a game by game basis in which case he probably isn't wrong cause have many have pointed out the last two months have been bad with multiple shutouts against
No, I fully get your point, but maybe you missed my point a few posts ago when I indicated the statistical error he made was not the MAIN point of my criticism.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Because he saw the run last year and wanted to keep a tight-knit group happy, so he gave him an extension. I call this "The Murray Syndrome", where Bryan was too in love with his players to look at data or projections and move on from declining assets.

Really? Who? He did get out from Heatley, Spezza, Michalek and even Alfredsson before they declined. He did not re-sign Gonchar even if it created a big hole on defense because he was also in further decline. I'm not really sure who you're talking about here. I see more of a perception comment. Maybe Murray got rid of some players too soon actually, but in some cases, players forced his hand because they wanted out. I don't read this board much anymore because there's so much inaccuracy that I would have to quote so many posts that it would end up as a full-time job.

Maybe you're thinking about Phillips and Neil? Those are 2 career Senators which is part of the very little legacy here in Ottawa. They had decreasing roles as they got older. Nothing wrong with having a few vets in your line-up, it's not what is supposed to prevent you from being a good team. Tampa has Kunitz, Callahan, Coburn and Girardi this year in their line-up and they only have 9 Loss on the season.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Really? Who? He did get out from Heatley, Spezza, Michalek and even Alfredsson before they declined. He did not re-sign Gonchar even if it created a big hole on defense because he was also in further decline. I'm not really sure who you're talking about here. I see more of a perception comment. Maybe Murray got rid of some players too soon actually, but in some cases, players forced his hand because they wanted out. I don't read this board much anymore because there's so much inaccuracy that I would have to quote so many posts that it would end up as a full-time job.

Maybe you're thinking about Phillips and Neil? Those are 2 career Senators which is part of the very legacy here in Ottawa. They had decreasing roles as they got older. Nothing wrong with having a few vets in your line-up, it's not what is supposed to prevent you from being a good team. Tampa has Kunitz, Callahan, Coburn and Girardi this year in their line-up and they only have 9 Loss on the season.
Get out from Alfredsson? That's a neat way to spin that. Anyways the one off the top of my head is Greening. Signed him a year before he was up to a big deal and he was predictably terrible.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Get out from Alfredsson? That's a neat way to spin that. Anyways the one off the top of my head is Greening. Signed him a year before he was up to a big deal and he was predictably terrible.

No matter how it was said, Alfredsson was 41 y/o when he played for Detroit. Of course Murray didn't try to get rid of him. Something went wrong in the negotiations and Alfie probably got mad at Melnyk not wanting to pay money that he thought was due. But that's another subject. Let's not list Alfredsson here if you want as he could have retired at 40 y/o and it would have been already more that you could expect.

Greening was extended on September 9th, 2013 when he was 27 years old... He signed an extension after he got 69 points (31 goals) in his first 153 NHL games (0.45 PPG = 37pts per 82 games). He was looking like a strong 3rd liner that could edven play in the top-6 if needed.

But that being said, I didn't like his extension as I was actually the first on this board to criticize Colin Greening, I said "plays die on his stick" numerous times while people were praising him and Fuhr was even comparing him to Mike Knuble.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Greening should have never been extended to that amount and term. He should thank Spezza for that contract.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Anyone else think that Dorion will go out and buy since they've won 2 straight?

Oh yeah, totes for sures man. He's gonna go out and get us like 10 new versions of Alex Burrows and trade away White and Brown and Chlapik and Chabot in exchange for Troy Brower with 17% retained because (cue theme music) "Dorion's a Schizophrenic Lunatic!" (end theme music). And after that, he's going to call up the Canucks head office and offer them our 3rd round picks for the next half decade, just because we didn't think we gave them enough in the Burrows trade (because we always have to bring that up!).

Then he's going to hold a press conference wearing a banana suit and only answer questions asked in pig latin, because he's an idiot. And then he will trade Erik Karlsson for a box of old Ghostbusters action figures, but not the cool original ones, instead he'll get suckered into getting the weird ones no one wanted right before they discontinued the toy line.

And then after a random western road trip, he will disappear for 3 months, and resurface as the dictator of a small Central American country, but the citizens will revolt against him because he was "trained by Bryan Murray", and that is the last we will ever hear about him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Oh yeah, totes for sures man. He's gonna go out and get us like 10 new versions of Alex Burrows and trade away White and Brown and Chlapik and Chabot in exchange for Troy Brower with 17% retained because (cue theme music) "Dorion's a Schizophrenic Lunatic!" (end theme music). And after that, he's going to call up the Canucks head office and offer them our 3rd round picks for the next half decade, just because we didn't think we gave them enough in the Burrows trade (because we always have to bring that up!).

Then he's going to hold a press conference wearing a banana suit and only answer questions asked in pig latin, because he's an idiot. And then he will trade Erik Karlsson for a box of old Ghostbusters action figures, but not the cool original ones, instead he'll get suckered into getting the weird ones no one wanted right before they discontinued the toy line.

And then after a random western road trip, he will disappear for 3 months, and resurface as the dictator of a small Central American country, but the citizens will revolt against him because he was "trained by Bryan Murray", and that is the last we will ever hear about him.

Good to have some inside info for a change. This is all happening in 2018 right?

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Who's the joke??

I'll tell you, the minority of members on this board who constantly make excuses for the owner/GM/coach because somehow they see above it all.

At the very least, this reflects how much of a sloppy thinker he is. Can't even take the time to do an analysis to validate his statements.

I listened to the whole interview and it was basically a poorly articulated mix of excuses that ultimately implicated everybody but himself.

If it was only about the statistical gaff, I wouldn't have commented.

"Minority member", "excuse maker", "long necked". I see you've trained your keen eye for detail over my way now...

"Poor articulation", "sloppy thinker", "statistical gaff". No, you're not working hard for additional reasons to knock Dorion at all. Like even a little bit.

I mean, if someone asked me about the Sens scoring this season, I'd say that they can't score to save their lives on most nights. I feel like many would throw that out there, because if we're not scoring 4 or 5 goals on a random night we're getting shut out. I don't think the a statistical analysis needs to be done to know that we're not scoring enough to win games, and if we WERE scoring almost 3 goals a game as the non-context stat hints at, we'd likely be sitting in a playoff spot. Sometimes context matters, and sometimes the stats without context actually present a picture that is further from the truth.

As for the last bit, I mean if you had a laundry list of points of irrational hatred, perhaps stick with the ones that at least make sense instead of making your post entirely about the ridiculous one.

Just a thought

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2018? Bro, this is all happening by Thursday, bro.
So the kickoff is Thursday ,.. I'd like a timeline of the events... like when Dorion goes missing and when he resurfaces .. We should have someone filming this... like Pierre TV... I think he'd go for it.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
"Minority member", "excuse maker", "long necked". I see you've trained your keen eye for detail over my way now...

"Poor articulation", "sloppy thinker", "statistical gaff". No, you're not working hard for additional reasons to knock Dorion at all. Like even a little bit.

I mean, if someone asked me about the Sens scoring this season, I'd say that they can't score to save their lives on most nights. I feel like many would throw that out there, because if we're not scoring 4 or 5 goals on a random night we're getting shut out. I don't think the a statistical analysis needs to be done to know that we're not scoring enough to win games, and if we WERE scoring almost 3 goals a game as the non-context stat hints at, we'd likely be sitting in a playoff spot. Sometimes context matters, and sometimes the stats without context actually present a picture that is further from the truth.

As for the last bit, I mean if you had a laundry list of points of irrational hatred, perhaps stick with the ones that at least make sense instead of making your post entirely about the ridiculous one.

Just a thought
The only thing irrational and ridiculous is your bizarre, convoluted, self referential interpretation of my post.
No one (except you apparently) needs to “work hard” to knock Dorion.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, I mean you quoted my post in your response so I figured you were referring to me. I guess that's not a thing anymore.

The second part makes even less sense given that a) I don't tend to knock Dorion at all so I'm definitely not working hard, and b) you're knocking him for "poor articulation", "sloppy thinking", statistical gaffs"... now THAT looks like trying hard.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,I still like PD,and think he could evolve into a good GM .Its too bad he went into this role with no experience and no support.Come on Randy Lee as your assistant gm .....Yes he made some moves that have backfired,but at least he is trying to not just spin wheels for another decade...

For me a new owner would be first on the list ,then some experienced nhl men to help guide PD

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Nice smug sarcasm. Stranger things have happened.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No matter how it was said, Alfredsson was 41 y/o when he played for Detroit. Of course Murray didn't try to get rid of him. Something went wrong in the negotiations and Alfie probably got mad at Melnyk not wanting to pay money that he thought was due.

Again, this is exactly how fake news is created.

Alfredsson had talks with Detroit before he began talks with the Senators, and decided to go where he thought he's have a better shot at winning the Cup.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Greening should have never been extended to that amount and term. He should thank Spezza for that contract.

At the time, the Greening contract extension was seen as a vert good signing.

It's so easy to look back, after the fact, and claim it was a bad signing.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It's so easy to look back, after the fact, and claim it was a bad signing.

You know that looking back is the only way you can actually evaluate a decision right? That's how you judge performance. I don't care if it "seemed fine at the time". If a GM makes a decision that doesn't gets results, he should be judged accordingly.

I mean at the time of the Yashin trade, he was a 28 year old, recent Hart trophy candidate while Spezza was a highly-touted but unknown commodity and Chara was a goonish 6-7th defenseman, so you can't really blame the Isles GM for that trade right...

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Again, this is exactly how fake news is created.

Alfredsson had talks with Detroit before he began talks with the Senators, and decided to go where he thought he's have a better shot at winning the Cup.

Really? Alfredsson had no discussions about signing with the Senators before July 1st? They didn't talk at all in June? Nothing in the final hours before he went to market? He talked to Detroit first?

Sorry Eugene, letting Alfredsson walk and trading for Ryan to take his spot was a brutal decision that set this team back years, and now we're stuck with Bobby.

Arkantoss

Mar 2, 2016
Even though that Duchene deal remains pretty questionable it's nice knowing that we'll at least still have our top 2 centres at the beginning of next season. That's better than rushing Logan Brown or Colin White into the role before they're ready.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Well, I mean you quoted my post in your response so I figured you were referring to me. I guess that's not a thing anymore.

The second part makes even less sense given that a) I don't tend to knock Dorion at all so I'm definitely not working hard, and b) you're knocking him for "poor articulation", "sloppy thinking", statistical gaffs"... now THAT looks like trying hard.
It doesn't surprise me that you consider sloppy thinking, poor articulation, and lack of attention to statistical accuracy as trivial qualities in a GM and not worthy of "serious" criticism. It helps me understand the basis of many of your posts.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Really? Alfredsson had no discussions about signing with the Senators before July 1st? They didn't talk at all in June? Nothing in the final hours before he went to market? He talked to Detroit first?

Sorry Eugene, letting Alfredsson walk and trading for Ryan to take his spot was a brutal decision that set this team back years, and now we're stuck with Bobby.

You seem to forget that prior to the summer that Alfredsson signed with Detroit, no other teams were allowed to negotiate with an impending UFA, but that summer the NHL rules changed and allowed (I think) a three day window for impending UFAs to talk with other teams, prior to July 1st.

So yes, it is quite possible that Alfredsson had preliminary negotiations with the Sens, over the year leading up to his impending UFA status, as all NHL team have done with their impending UFAs, and it is well known that he did hold talks in the "3 day window" with Detroit. It is also well known that having just played (at the Olympics) with a lot of Wings players, that he was being lobbied by those same Wings players to join them in Detroit.

Alfredsson made his choice, and went where he thought he could win the Cup.

Oh, BTW, as you saying that making the ECF, and coming within one goal of the the SCF is your definition of "setting this team back years"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino