The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Well, I knew it was a pointless post on my part. Haters gonna hate as the kids say, and I suppose this is a safe anonymous place for people to do their thing.

My apologies, carry on, I'll see myself out.
Its a huge circle jerk the last few pages LOL

dont waste your time people will always believe things to fit their agenda

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Well, I knew it was a pointless post on my part. Haters gonna hate as the kids say, and I suppose this is a safe anonymous place for people to do their thing.

My apologies, carry on, I'll see myself out.

Long gone are the good old days where topics could be honestly and thoughtfully discussed and debated with a respectful tone, one liners, memes and refusing to budge off your beliefs/point are now the flavour of the day

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The GM represents the organization, his personality can definitely be criticized along with his moves. If youre an ******* youre an *******, if youre funny youre funny, if youre a nervous dork youre a nervous dork.

listening to him is cridgeworthy - a massive part of you JOB is public speaking - if you cant handle it well then you are not ready to be a GM.

That's ridiculous. Speaking is a small part of a GM's job. The coach speaks with the media every day, a GM does not. A GM does not need to have great speaking ability.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Dorion helped take us to the ECF but ya he is a used cars salesmen LOL

people turn on people so fast

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
PS Dorion is the reason EK is on this team. Chicago drafted my high school friend Kyle Beach instead of him and they have legit hockey operations. He picked up Hoff and Stone super late too. We have old D in the lineup today but in 3 years our D core should be very young and talented.

Is Dorion an amazing GM? No. Is he way worse than the other teams not in the playoffs? I think his draft picks as a pro scout are enough that he shouldn't be considered a terrible GM. The Burrow trade sucked but the others are debatable.

I read an article a while back, I probably linked to it in a post on this board where Bryan Murray claimed Dorion was the one who insisted he trade up for Erik Karlsson.

On the greater topic, I don't think Dorion is that bad. I do not think he is that good. In fact, I know he wasn't serious, but Dorion hit the nail on the head when he said that he thinks he is an 'okay GM'. That's exactly how I'd describe him.

It's hard to fully assess him since we only really have 1.5 seasons of him as GM under his belt, and we haven't seen how Dorion operates in all situations. We've only seen hyper aggressive win now Dorion where he fixates on specific pieces, and doesn't worry about what he has to pay to get them as long as it is relatively reasonable.

I think people have this false idea that if we fire Dorion, things are guaranteed to improve. We're not likely to attract top level GM talent at this point because one, I doubt Melnyk wants to spend that much just like with coaching (walk on water, etc), two, an in demand GM candidate may not want to take a job in Ottawa where there are constraints making success that much harder via the organizational budget.

The only move Dorion has made so far in terms of trades that I would classify as really bad would be acquiring a 35 year old Burrows and extending him, but even that one he was vindicated by the fact that Burrows helped us push into the playoffs, and without him, we might have missed out.

The Duchene move was bad if Turris was going to extend for 6x6, but we don't know if that's true as of now. If Turris wasn't going to re-sign, given where our team was at when we made the trade, and where we should be right now, I don't think it was a bad move at the time.

Reactions: Mr Hat

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I read an article a while back, I probably linked to it in a post on this board where Bryan Murray claimed Dorion was the one who insisted he trade up for Erik Karlsson.

On the greater topic, I don't think Dorion is that bad. I do not think he is that good. In fact, I know he wasn't serious, but Dorion hit the nail on the head when he said that he thinks he is an 'okay GM'. That's exactly how I'd describe him.

It's hard to fully assess him since we only really have 1.5 seasons of him as GM under his belt, and we haven't seen how Dorion operates in all situations. We've only seen hyper aggressive win now Dorion where he fixates on specific pieces, and doesn't worry about what he has to pay to get them as long as it is relatively reasonable.

I think people have this false idea that if we fire Dorion, things are guaranteed to improve. We're not likely to attract top level GM talent at this point because one, I doubt Melnyk wants to spend that much just like with coaching (walk on water, etc), two, an in demand GM candidate may not want to take a job in Ottawa where there are constraints making success that much harder via the organizational budget.

The only move Dorion has made so far in terms of trades that I would classify as really bad would be acquiring a 35 year old Burrows and extending him, but even that one he was vindicated by the fact that Burrows helped us push into the playoffs, and without him, we might have missed out.

The Duchene move was bad if Turris was going to extend for 6x6, but we don't know if that's true as of now. If Turris wasn't going to re-sign, given where our team was at when we made the trade, and where we should be right now, I don't think it was a bad move at the time.

Totally disagree with this. He found ways to trade our B level prospects and keep our A level prospects while trying to make win now moves

Duchene is also a better player than Turris the stats pre trade prove that over a large sample size

Reactions: JD1

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Totally disagree with this. He found ways to trade our B level prospects and keep our A level prospects while trying to make win now moves

Duchene is also a better player than Turris the stats pre trade prove that over a large sample size

If keeping Turris was impossible, I think it was a very good trade at the time it was made.

If keeping Turris was possible, I think we gave up way too much value for what we got, even know Duchene is the better player.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was his repeated referring of himself in the 3rd person. It screams a combination of insecurity and self-importance. It just makes me uncomfortable with the persons character.

Long gone are the good old days where topics could be honestly and thoughtfully discussed and debated with a respectful tone, one liners, memes and refusing to budge off your beliefs/point are now the flavour of the day

WT?? Who hates a good meme
fpjRkga.jpg

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was his repeated referring of himself in the 3rd person. It screams a combination of insecurity and self-importance. It just makes me uncomfortable with the persons character.

WT?? Who hates a good meme
fpjRkga.jpg

generally speaking on the 3rd person thing I'd agree. in the context in which he did it....meh...I didn't get worked up about it

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
PS Dorion is the reason EK is on this team. Chicago drafted my high school friend Kyle Beach instead of him and they have legit hockey operations. He picked up Hoff and Stone super late too. We have old D in the lineup today but in 3 years our D core should be very young and talented.

Is Dorion an amazing GM? No. Is he way worse than the other teams not in the playoffs? I think his draft picks as a pro scout are enough that he shouldn't be considered a terrible GM. The Burrow trade sucked but the others are debatable.
Karlsson selection. Not sure you can say THE reason. Lots of people involved. Swedes are the reason if anyone no?
Everything's turning up Swede

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Can anyone explain to me why Dorion would extend Anderson so early?

It's not like we got an amazing deal. He signed for basically his market value.

So why? Is there any logic to it?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Can anyone explain to me why Dorion would extend Anderson so early?

It's not like we got an amazing deal. He signed for basically his market value.

So why? Is there any logic to it?

Because he saw the run last year and wanted to keep a tight-knit group happy, so he gave him an extension. I call this "The Murray Syndrome", where Bryan was too in love with his players to look at data or projections and move on from declining assets.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Because he saw the run last year and wanted to keep a tight-knit group happy, so he gave him an extension. I call this "The Murray Syndrome", where Bryan was too in love with his players to look at data or projections and move on from declining assets.
If this were true they'd do anything to keep Methot and Turris.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Umm what? Andersons current contract expires this season..

Yes, you're correct.
Perhaps signing Anderson for 5.5 and 4.000, kept the offer 2.50 and 3.00, for Condon within the budget, .......... can't have the back up making more than the starter

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Who's the joke here?

Perhaps he was referring to the number of times we have scored one or less this season? Lots of reasons to be mad at the GM, this one smacks of trying too hard.

I mean, anyone watching the Sens this year is not likely to feel like we score almost 3 goals a game, feels like none on most nights...

I'm pretty sure we all get the sentiment here, and legitimately feel it as well...

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Who's the joke here?

Perhaps he was referring to the number of times we have scored one or less this season? Lots of reasons to be mad at the GM, this one smacks of trying too hard.

I mean, anyone watching the Sens this year is not likely to feel like we score almost 3 goals a game, feels like none on most nights...

I'm pretty sure we all get the sentiment here, and legitimately feel it as well...

Who's the joke??

I'll tell you, the minority of members on this board who constantly make excuses for the owner/GM/coach because somehow they see above it all.

At the very least, this reflects how much of a sloppy thinker he is. Can't even take the time to do an analysis to validate his statements.

I listened to the whole interview and it was basically a poorly articulated mix of excuses that ultimately implicated everybody but himself.

If it was only about the statistical gaff, I wouldn't have commented.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Who's the joke??

I'll tell you, the minority of members on this board who constantly make excuses for the owner/GM/coach because somehow they see above it all.

At the very least, this reflects how much of a sloppy thinker he is. Can't even take the time to do an analysis to validate his statements.

I listened to the whole interview and it was basically a poorly articulated mix of excuses that ultimately implicated everybody but himself.

If it was only about the statistical gaff, I wouldn't have commented.
I haven't looked at the numbers but I don't think it takes a genius to recognize that he means we aren't consistently scoring like last year. This year we have had games where we score a lot (like the last two games) then other stretches where we can't score. I rmr early in the season a lot of teams were scoring a lot

We have been also shutout a lot recently. Tbh maybe you need to check the numbers more closely instead of looking af goals per game average? Seems lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad