The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
His job isn't to be critical of the team.

His job is also to not belittle fans just because they have a different opinion than him.

Also if his job isn't to be critical then stop selling him on the radio as the ' Sens insider' and just call him the "Sens cheerleader".

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Lee Versage is yammering on again about Karlsson repeating the "it is what it is"line as though that is all he said, as though he said that and then left. In fact Lee and Simmer cherry picked it from what he actually said-which was that the team tried to find ways to address their problems but whatever they have done has not worked so far and they are still looking for a solution.

Then after cherry picking that phrase they repeated it ad nauseam, Lee reprising his former role with Glen Kulka when they attacked Alfie for not saying things in the way they thought a proper captain should and suggested that he should be stripped of the C.

Though it hasn't come to that yet with Karlsson(give it time) and after yammering on about it non stop on the post game show Lee is now claiming that no one wants to hear from Karlsson any more.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Actually, this morning they are basically saying he's got a zombie ankle and that signing him might not be the right answer, and they could get tons for him. They are running another high impact player out of town, instead of just pointing the finger at management and roster composition. I guess it's better for TSN1200 to have a bad team so they can get more emails and calls, right?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Actually, this morning they are basically saying he's got a zombie ankle and that signing him might not be the right answer, and they could get tons for him. They are running another high impact player out of town, instead of just pointing the finger at management and roster composition. I guess it's better for TSN1200 to have a bad team so they can get more emails and calls, right?

Karlsson deserves his share of the blame for sure, he's literally the player on the ice the most and the team has sucked balls all season long.

I'm of the opinion that you give a guy like him whatever he wants and you don't let him leave, but its tricky given the surgeries he's had on his foot. He doens't look like the same player at all this season, and to keep him they're going to have to pay out the ass for him. If he gets a bit closer to the Karlsson of old next season, i'm still down for signing him for 12 million or whatever the hell he wants. But if this is the player he is now . . . i'm not saying that I wouldn't sign him, but its something more to consider.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Lee Versage knows sports fairly well, he's a bit of a geek, but he has the worst takes. I think some of them are probably him trying to play the shock jock role, but some he seems to actually believe and are non-sensical. A few weeks ago he insisted that the Senators are a top 4 team and this season is the aberration despite them never getting that far in previous years with a similar roster, not doing well in last years regular season, getting outplayed in much of the playoffs, stinking currently and having a roster full of holes. He's a dolt.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Lots of things I have liked about Lee Versage, one that he is interested in a lot of sports, the CFL as well as the NHL and also junior hockey.

But the time he spent with White recently was excruciating to listen to - all the jockeying for position and bullying rhetorical questions.

And now he is on an anti Karlssons crusade, he blames him for everything that went wrong, his not too high not too low interviews are the subject of his ire. It is exactly the same as his crusade against Alfie when things weren't going well for him.

He is now going to be the spearhead for the attacks for the coterie of Sens fans who dislike Karlsson,same as he was for the Alfie haters.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Lots of things I have liked about Lee Versage, one that he is interested in a lot of sports, the CFL as well as the NHL and also junior hockey.

But the time he spent with White recently was excruciating to listen to - all the jockeying for position and bullying rhetorical questions.

And now he is on an anti Karlssons crusade, he blames him for everything that went wrong, his not too high not too low interviews are the subject of his ire. It is exactly the same as his crusade against Alfie when things weren't going well for him.

He is now going to be the spearhead the attacks for the coterie of Sens and who dislike Karlsson,same as he did for the Alfie haters.

Lee Versage has no business covering sports anywhere. Sure he knows enough about sports, but that doesn't mean he has the personality or the voice to do so professionally on a sports radio station. He is extremely painful to listen to.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

He is now going to be the spearhead for the attacks for the coterie of Sens who dislike Karlsson,same as he did for the Alfie haters.

The station doesn't do well in these tank nation times because the fans feel the station has an agenda to defend the owner to keep their 'relationship' together. And they earned that, for years we asked them to go hard at ownership and we'd get softball questions, so their fault. Couple that with a group of hosts who aren't Ottawa fans and there's a distinct lack of passion for the team, so in these times of Sens fans having their hearts ripped out and stomped on by Melnyck and no-heart play, the hosts are left to come back and 'gage' the interest of the fanbase. They know there's discontent, anger and frustration, they just don't feel it themselves because it would be like me learning the San Jose Sharks have injury concerns, I don't care beyond the 2 games Ottawa plays them. they need to reflect the angst and anger of the fanbase, so instead of passion, they give us rants and make fun of the team.

Irish Tommy is the leading passionate voice on that station. That says a lot.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The station doesn't do well in these tank nation times because the fans feel the station has an agenda to defend the owner to keep their 'relationship' together. And they earned that, for years we asked them to go hard at ownership and we'd get softball questions, so their fault. Couple that with a group of hosts who aren't Ottawa fans and there's a distinct lack of passion for the team, so in these times of Sens fans having their hearts ripped out and stomped on by Melnyck and no-heart play, the hosts are left to come back and 'gage' the interest of the fanbase. They know there's discontent, anger and frustration, they just don't feel it themselves because it would be like me learning the San Jose Sharks have injury concerns, I don't care beyond the 2 games Ottawa plays them. they need to reflect the angst and anger of the fanbase, so instead of passion, they give us rants and make fun of the team.

Irish Tommy is the leading passionate voice on that station. That says a lot.

Hopefully it will change eventually once we get some long time die hard fans of the team actually covering them....I think Steve Warne is the only true fan of the team that currently covers them professionally, all others have pledged their allegiance to another franchise....wonder if that exists in any other sports market in north america/the world?

The difference between our local guys and Mtl's is so drastic it's hard to put into words.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Lee Versage has no business covering sports anywhere. Sure he knows enough about sports, but that doesn't mean he has the personality or the voice to do so professionally on a sports radio station. He is extremely painful to listen to.
disagree 100%. You might not like his opinions, his exaggerations, or his voice but to say he has no business covering sports is extremely harsh. There are varying degrees of sports knowledge at the station and Leever is by far at the top.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

He is now going to be the spearhead for the attacks for the coterie of Sens fans who dislike Karlsson,same as he was for the Alfie haters.

It works, to play to the crowd and stir up the hornets nest. I'll bet their ratings are pretty good right now.

Even so, this is tame compared to Montreal (which I am grateful for).

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Hopefully it will change eventually once we get some long time die hard fans of the team actually covering them....I think Steve Warne is the only true fan of the team that currently covers them professionally, all others have pledged their allegiance to another franchise....wonder if that exists in any other sports market in north america/the world?

The difference between our local guys and Mtl's is so drastic it's hard to put into words.
I agree to an extent. Montreal hosts don't hide their passion or biases for the Canadiens. Thats what fans want to hear. But when you cover a team for 10 years and they are not your childhood favorite there still is a degree of you still ride the wave of there success and failures. Leever says the devils are his team but he doesn't follow them as passionately as he does the sens because there is no way he talks about them to anyone even 10% as much as he talks sens.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
disagree 100%. You might not like his opinions, his exaggerations, or his voice but to say he has no business covering sports is extremely harsh. There are varying degrees of sports knowledge at the station and Leever is by far at the top.

Would be curious to know if you or I are in the minority here. Seems to me, judging by this thread and by talking to other listeners of the station, Lee Versage is not very good at what he does. Your entitled to your opinion, but I don't think your opinion is shared by a whole lot of people.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Would be curious to know if you or I are in the minority here. Seems to me, judging by this thread and by talking to other listeners of the station, Lee Versage is not very good at what he does. Your entitled to your opinion, but I don't think your opinion is shared by a whole lot of people.
That's what makes it my opinion. Leever talks a lot and is opinionated. There is no dead air with him. The fact he uses all available stats to defend his opinions is a lot better than just using his opinion. He thinks things through a lot more than others. It's kind of like people here who use stats to defend their opinions. Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. As a radio host he does a very good job. I disagree with him about as much as I agree with him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

But he is working at a sports radio station, so perhaps those who run the station know better than you do, who belongs or not.

No one is forcing you to listen to him, and if you think you know better, apply to work at the station.

good luck!

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Lee Versage is an absolute joke. Surprised that Jakubek isn't on air as much as him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

I have not read to many who agree with your take ........... but more that do not, so perhaps your opinion is not shared by anyone besides yourself.

giphy.gif

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Lee Versage's stupidity on full display this morning, just listening to the Ceci for Hall segment, of course the idiot will defend this trade not going through.

Ottawa deserves better than this garbage.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Versage may be the worst sports radio personality I’ve ever heard.
He is simply incapable of distinguishing his opinion from absolute truth. Add to this his intolerable whiny voice when anyone dare disagree with him and you get an unlistenable radio program.
I have no idea why he’s still on, but then again 1200 is no meritocracy.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Your criticisms of the station are way over the top. There is no reason for you to listen to it.

Seems like the majority of recent posts agree 100% with my take on Versage. Trust me, I don't listen when he is on.

My take on Versage can't be over the top when there are multiple people saying the same things that I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad