The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't think it was Dean's choice to end up on radio. No one loves Dean more than Dean and radio is probably not where he figured he'd end up.

He used to be the Sens regional tv guy with occasional national work on CBC and mixed in Sens radio work when he wasn't doing the other two jobs. Now he doesn't get in face on tv and he doesn't get to work in front of a national audience. Radio would not be nearly as lucrative as tv work. And if Sportsnet or TSN really wanted him on tv, he'd be on tv now. But they didn't.

Yeah, I agree with all of this.

Radio seems to be the consolation prize for Dean. It pays the bills, but this certainly wasn't his long-term goal.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Warren with a good article on the breakdown of our market. Facts, information, a better understanding of the market and the dynamics.

Warren please do more of this relating to all aspects of the team. This stuff is fan-nerd gold. Dig up some old scouting reports from a Sens scout and break down how they scout, evaluate and draft. The financials of stadium building. Sens Revenue streams. The decline of our seasons seats.

These articles are great and much needed. Theres a ton of talk about our attendance, our finances and our stadium so having a better understanding is much appreacited.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Yep very good, especially when he explain about the system and things he wanted last year but his players were not ready, except Karlsson, etc.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Mendes just said on the radio Mckenzie had some news about Turris. Not sure what it is. They said they would talk about it during the pregame.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
There was a new one today. I think it was for snow clearing, can't remember. I try to tune those out.

It was for some Limousine service. I think they actually played the actual commercial in the next set of ads too, or that may have been the MyPillow ad yesterday.

Also, my last comment was brought to you by Reis equipment.:rolleyes:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Listening to Morning Men on Mad Dog Sports Radio is a night and day difference. We get amateur hour radio with terrible accents here in Ottawa

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It was for some Limousine service. I think they actually played the actual commercial in the next set of ads too, or that may have been the MyPillow ad yesterday.

Also, my last comment was brought to you by Reis equipment.:rolleyes:
I'm replying to this while on a Mahindra tractor they let me test drive before I bought it. The big box stores sure don't let me do that.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Kars for kids is a jewish organization whose mission is to give children and their families opportunities to connect with their Jewish heritage and traditions.

In 2017, the Minnesota Attorney General conducted a compliance review and submitted a 300 page report to the IRS. The report found that only 44% of funds raised by Kars4Kids went to good works, and that the charity had invested in a Ponzi scheme, in addition to losing $9.2 million from real estate projects controlled by the second cousin of the Kars4Kids CEO.

That fact they don't tell you this in the add seems pretty shady.

http://www.startribune.com/kars4kids-is-questioned-by-charity-watchdogs/136191368/

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Kars for kids is a jewish organization whose mission is to give children and their families opportunities to connect with their Jewish heritage and traditions.

Not only this, but something like 80-85% of all money they put towards "good works" goes to the New York/New Jersey geographic area, so you aren't even supporting a local charity.

I have no problem with Kars for Kids being essentially a Jewish charity (though they should be more transparent about that part), that's totally fine and there are lots of good charities in the Jewish community, but not only is it not helping anyone locally, it's not even helping anyone nationally. Like, why not help OTTAWA Jewish kids?

It's a far-too-typical case of a small charity getting big and then completely losing itself as it expands beyond it's original scope. A completely worthy charity, but one they need to be up front about, because they are purposefully misleading the public about it. If more people knew about how the money was spent, I have a hard time believing that the charity would be as successful as it is.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not only this, but something like 80-85% of all money they put towards "good works" goes to the New York/New Jersey geographic area, so you aren't even supporting a local charity.

I have no problem with Kars for Kids being essentially a Jewish charity (though they should be more transparent about that part), that's totally fine and there are lots of good charities in the Jewish community, but not only is it not helping anyone locally, it's not even helping anyone nationally. Like, why not help OTTAWA Jewish kids?

It's a far-too-typical case of a small charity getting big and then completely losing itself as it expands beyond it's original scope. A completely worthy charity, but one they need to be up front about, because they are purposefully misleading the public about it. If more people knew about how the money was spent, I have a hard time believing that the charity would be as successful as it is.
The fact that they are not transparent is the issue for me. It plays all day everyday on every station in every part of Canada. That takes some serious coin. Read many articles about how they spend almost 50% of revenues on advertising. I also read where they actually send kids to Israel to go to camp. Not sure how many charities have that type of goal in mind when soliciting the public for help.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He used to be.

Too bad he thinks people care about his anecdotes and not his description of the action.

I like Dean’s call for sure, but he has the sense of humour of a 6 year old. The jokes aren’t bad, they’re painful, for everyone.
The fact that they are not transparent is the issue for me. It plays all day everyday on every station in every part of Canada. That takes some serious coin. Read many articles about how they spend almost 50% of revenues on advertising. I also read where they actually send kids to Israel to go to camp. Not sure how many charities have that type of goal in mind when soliciting the public for help.

The advertising is a huge reason I don’t listen as much now. Call me a child of Netflix. But if I get in the car at 7:45 I can almost get to work which is a 15-20 minute drive and not hear a single minute of actual sports chat - just ads and maybe a sports center update (which i find redundant because I’m a huge sports fan anyways And they have them very 30 minutes it seems, already got my football and baseball news at TSN.ca)

My favourite show is the pre-game because it’s all about the Sens and hockey. JR in the morning is funny, just way to many ads i find, for some
Reason the pre game doesn’t seem to be as commercial heavy

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I love the weekend show. Good balance of sports and fun. Hardly and commercials. Great chemistry.

Would have to agree that the weekend show is a pleasant change from the weekday scripts and formula programming..... on TGOR especially.
It was a great move by the programming dept. to insert weekend broadcasts into the lineup. The immediacy of post game discussion is welcomed instead of waiting for a Monday to hear anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad