The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
JR and Steve talking about attendance concerns again as we approach the home opener. IMO if it isn't sold out at the home opener the fans are making a strong statement. Removing 1500 seats isn't a cure for the attendance woes.
It isn't the brand of hockey that is keeping people away!
All in, if you are taking just one member of your family to a game, the experience is costing way too much to do it on a regular basis. Steve seemed to emphathize more with the average fan in the brief discussion on TGOR.....groceries or a Sens game! There is an economic reality for most fans who are paying the freight. Not many corporate gimmes here!

I haven't gotten around to selecting my games yet for my ticket package.

It's too nice out - I'm enjoying the last gasps of summer after the two months of meh that we had.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Say what you want about Dean Brown, but the guy still cracks me up from time to time.

There's a weird animosity that exists in the Ottawa media world towards the fans that make comments and especially the fans that post on these sites - I don't understand it. Get used to the internet already, it's not going away.

Dean Brown's tweet I guess is funny, but there's an underlying condescension in the tweet towards fans, and directed specially fans on sites like this. Why this exists I have no idea. These guys have a burr in their underpants they just can't get rid of, the fans opinions bug them for some reason and it's bizarre - these guys feel old, and it's okay to be the old guy, just don't be the grumpy bitter old guy, that's Brenna's job.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dean Brown's tweet I guess is funny, but there's an underlying condescension in the tweet towards fans, and directed specially fans on sites like this. Why this exists I have no idea. These guys have a burr in their underpants they just can't get rid of, the fans opinions bug them for some reason and it's bizarre - these guys feel old, and it's okay to be the old guy, just don't be the grumpy bitter old guy, that's Brenna's job.

It's probably the fact that people on sites like this read way too into everything.

Like this tweet for example.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
There's a weird animosity that exists in the Ottawa media world towards the fans that make comments and especially the fans that post on these sites - I don't understand it. Get used to the internet already, it's not going away.

Not trying to attack you or anything, but reading the tweet and your response to it, it seems you're the one who has a burr in your underpants, and not Dean Brown.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Im thinking many have taken massive hits to their ego where now faceless folks online are providing much more quality content, faster and more readily available, these guys saw and helped raise their older peers to levels they hoped to see one day, alas the internet took that away from them. Imo some do not embrace change very well and instead of acceptance they lash out.

The fans really want the tough questions to be actually asked by some member of the media which hasn't and will likely not happen for the foreseeable future.

All you have to do is listen to one of DB's rants to get his general opinion of the fans

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Im thinking many have taken massive hits to their ego where now faceless folks online are providing much more quality content, faster and more readily available, these guys saw and helped raise their older peers to levels they hoped to see one day, alas the internet took that away from them. Imo some do not embrace change very well and instead of acceptance they lash out.

The fans really want the tough questions to be actually asked by some member of the media which hasn't and will likely not happen for the foreseeable future.

All you have to do is listen to one of DB's rants to get his general opinion of the fans
Doing the same job over 20 years gets very repetitive. At that point most aren't looking at new angles to add to their craft. They do what has worked for all those years until someone new and younger comes along with a new approach. It is like this in any field. What Ian is doing is embracing technology and is adding to his craft.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Some interesting discussion on this page. I agree that some of the old school journalists are carrying vindictive feelings towards well-informed fans. With outlets like this website, and teams themselves breaking news on Twitter, "we" don't need them anymore. No one cares about the interview they did with Player X and their tempered responses.

What is up with TGOR's "live" Reis equipment or My Pillow commercial every morning now at 7:18? Isn't the station already 70% ads? Is thius just another time filler for TGOR?

No more time for "NFL Insiders", but lots of time for commercials.

Just when you were getting used to the excessive commercials, they do this :laugh: Very US-network, reminds me of Dan Patrick and Rome. Incredibly annoying. I'll actually change the station whereas I usually just let normal commercials play. Can't stand JR and Steve's little skits for those ads. At least Rome makes it quick and to the point with Dollar Shave Club or whatever he's pushing.

Reactions: Chezzz

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The major issue with fan opinions is that they're generally knee-jerk reactions to very small sample sizes of play disguised as well-informed "takes".

If we, god forbid, lose a game to the Leafs or the Habs, it's time to trade everyone.

Sure, you can ask the "hard-hitting" questions, which they won't answer, at least not to your satisfaction, because they're not insanely stupid, and then any access that you had vanishes in a puff of smoke.

Journalists have to balance between the relationship they have with the organization and its personnel including retaining access while trying to inform the public. They know stuff that we don't, and sure, it sucks, because we want to know, but they can't tell us, because then they won't know anything in the future.

It's not as easy as everyone around here thinks it is.

"ASK TOUGH QUESTIONS!"

I have my issues with some of the press in this town but I hardly think our blogosphere could do much better despite their delusions of grandeur.

(aside from Don Brennan. a potato sitting on a typewriter could do a better job.)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Dean Brown is alright. It's when he drifts into the abyss of consciousness while calling games that things get a lil hairy. I think he forgets sometimes that folks listening on the radio can't see what's going on, and we're relying on him to paint the visual for us.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dean Brown is alright. It's when he drifts into the abyss of consciousness while calling games that things get a lil hairy. I think he forgets sometimes that folks listening on the radio can't see what's going on, and we're relying on him to paint the visual for us.

When he takes a trip on the SS Anecdote, I usually assume that what's going on at ice level is too painful to describe. ;)

Like that 9-2 game. Yeeesh.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Doing the same job over 20 years gets very repetitive. At that point most aren't looking at new angles to add to their craft. They do what has worked for all those years until someone new and younger comes along with a new approach. It is like this in any field. What Ian is doing is embracing technology and is adding to his craft.

The old saying something along the lines of get with the times or the times will pass you by seems to apply here! Ian has brought some welcomed freshness to the station that's for sure although I generally like all of the hosts and really only dislike Doni B and when Brown goes on his tangents where he doesn't breath and talks for 10 minutes.

Side note if any of the decision makers read this, get off of that iheartradio train asap for your station, the service has become extremely poor where it cuts out every 5 to 10 minutes then runs a 15-30 second forced ad in order to reconnect, I do not listen much these days unfortunately.

Reactions: Smash88

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The old saying something along the lines of get with the times or the times will pass you by seems to apply here!

Look, let's be honest here - AM radio isn't exactly a media format where people go to innovate anymore. At least, not in 2017.

If you want to take the "get with the times" sentiment to it's fullest extent, you're probably going to be leaving AM radio by the wayside in the process.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Side note if any of the decision makers read this, get off of that iheartradio train asap for your station, the service has become extremely poor where it cuts out every 5 to 10 minutes then runs a 15-30 second forced ad in order to reconnect, I do not listen much these days unfortunately.

Oh man yeah for sure! I had to delete the app and go back to TuneIn Radio. I couldn't stand the constant cutting out, having to restart, watch the ad and miss half the interview of whoever they were interviewing.

I honestly gave that app a long try over a month or so and it was a daily thing, it's too bad because I liked the feature that it had the text and phone call button right on the app.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I don't do analytics because it'd be time consuming to become properly knowledgeable, but when I hear it being criticized with something like how it doesn't take into account quality of competition, it just reveals a complete lack of research or sense. Why speak so confidently if you don't know?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Look, let's be honest here - AM radio isn't exactly a media format where people go to innovate anymore. At least, not in 2017.

If you want to take the "get with the times" sentiment to it's fullest extent, you're probably going to be leaving AM radio by the wayside in the process.

I like the local content 1200 provides, the more national shows rarily ever discuss anything Ottawa and typically only if its a negative story or something huge. For a small market I feel the station does its best to modernize and be fresh, my statement more referred to some of the legacy media guys

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I like the local content 1200 provides, the more national shows rarily ever discuss anything Ottawa and typically only if its a negative story or something huge. For a small market I feel the station does its best to modernize and be fresh, my statement more referred to some of the legacy media guys

That's why I'm cool with the station. If I wanna listen to talk radio about any other sport are market, there are countless other options to get that that. TSN1200 is the only place where you can get Ottawa specific talk. And that's exactly what I want from a local sports radio station.

So I dunno, none of the hosts really bug me, but that's all subjective. Dean Brown's infatuation with his own voice can irritate me sometimes, so I just don't listen, or change the station when he's on.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016

My personal theory is that he loved calling games on CBC a few years ago. He got to call nationally broadcast playoff games, and was genuinely good at it. Than he lost his job at the expense of terrible play by play guys, like Paul Romanuk. Now that he's back calling Sens radio, he doesn't really care that much, so he allows himself the tangents that most seem to hate.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
My personal theory is that he loved calling games on CBC a few years ago. He got to call nationally broadcast playoff games, and was genuinely good at it. Than he lost his job at the expense of terrible play by play guys, like Paul Romanuk. Now that he's back calling Sens radio, he doesn't really care that much, so he allows himself the tangents that most seem to hate.

Yeah I don't think he gives a shit anymore. Its too bad because Brown used to be one of the best in the business. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s I loved listening to brown. I still get shivers listening to this.

Reactions: Smash88

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
he's been however he is for a long time, and I think it was his own choice to leave CBC by taking a lucrative contract to call the Sens game

i've always liked Dean and Gord calling the game and Dean's 3 stars + hardest working senator at the end of the game, even if i don't like him sometimes on the pre-game show

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have no issues with Brown's play-by-play, though admittedly a lot of that comes from nostalgia.

He's the first voice that comes to mind when I think of watching Sens games.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
he's been however he is for a long time, and I think it was his own choice to leave CBC by taking a lucrative contract to call the Sens game

i've always liked Dean and Gord calling the game and Dean's 3 stars + hardest working senator at the end of the game, even if i don't like him sometimes on the pre-game show

I don't think it was Dean's choice to end up on radio. No one loves Dean more than Dean and radio is probably not where he figured he'd end up.

He used to be the Sens regional tv guy with occasional national work on CBC and mixed in Sens radio work when he wasn't doing the other two jobs. Now he doesn't get in face on tv and he doesn't get to work in front of a national audience. Radio would not be nearly as lucrative as tv work. And if Sportsnet or TSN really wanted him on tv, he'd be on tv now. But they didn't.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I have no issues with Brown's play-by-play, though admittedly a lot of that comes from nostalgia.

He's the first voice that comes to mind when I think of watching Sens games.

I don't have any problems with his play by play... on tv. On the radio, he's great, as long as he's calling the game. But then he goes on a 5 minute tangent with Gord and suddenly I have no idea what's going on on the the ice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad