The Official Nutrition Thread - Tips, Recommendations, Current Diets

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Currently on a "eat everything in sight" diet to gain some extra pounds. Trying to get at least 5 meals a day. Lots of Chicken, Steak, pork chops, fish, rise, potatoes, pasta, bread, fruit and veggies. I try to eat some nuts, but I'm not really a big fan, so it usually ends after a few days. I'm at 160 now, trying to get to 170-175, but its tough. Haven't really gained much the last couple of months despite trying really hard.

Buy 1 litre cartons chocolate milk, they cost under 30kr in our currency and contains anywhere between 6-700 calories depending on brand. If you lack appetite, thats a good cheap way to get some extra calories in outside a gainerpack

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
As said in the thread earlier, gainers are so dumb. Ended up just packing on a bit of a stomach which sucks since I'm a pretty skinny dude.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Thats not the gainers fault, its your macros :) Gainers are simply food in powder form, theres nothing bad about it

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Thats not the gainers fault, its your macros :) Gainers are simply food in powder form, theres nothing bad about it

Not necessarly. Depends on the gainers. I work in a supplement store and there's weight gainers that vary from 8 grams of sugar per serving to 89 grams of sugar per serving. I wonder which one is going to give you a gut;)

Ps. Nothing wrong with weight gainers but if you can get your calories/protein through diet then DO IT. There's no proper alternative to a good diet.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Not necessarly. Depends on the gainers. I work in a supplement store and there's weight gainers that vary from 8 grams of sugar per serving to 89 grams of sugar per serving. I wonder which one is going to give you a gut;)

Ps. Nothing wrong with weight gainers but if you can get your calories/protein through diet then DO IT. There's no proper alternative to a good diet.
Yeah, I cut the gainer out and moved onto just solid food. Works out better. Not easier, but better.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Any of the nutritional components of the diet that are required in relatively large amounts: protein, carbohydrate, fat, and the macrominerals.

So I now know there are different percentages used for different reasons - is there a primer on what percentages should be used for what?

In my case I'd be looking to maintain or even increase my lean mass, but to decrease my flabby mass - I'm at least 30 pounds away from a much healthier weight. Or should I continue worrying about calories in/out for the time being, and focus on macros as I approach my goal weight?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
So I now know there are different percentages used for different reasons - is there a primer on what percentages should be used for what?

In my case I'd be looking to maintain or even increase my lean mass, but to decrease my flabby mass - I'm at least 30 pounds away from a much healthier weight. Or should I continue worrying about calories in/out for the time being, and focus on macros as I approach my goal weight?
There's differing schools of thought on specific percentages, but if you're just worried about losing weight the total calories are what matter most.

I think for many people too much information simply leads to paralysis by analysis when it comes to health topics. At it's heart, losing fat is pretty simple. Try to focus on eating lean proteins, vegetables, and fruits while drinking lots of water. Eat slow, and don't eat when you're full. Try to get at least 20-30 minutes exercise (even if it is just walking) every day if you can. If you eat/drink something that's "bad" for you, make sure you do it in moderation.

If you can follow those simple rules, you'll probably start cutting fat. If your weight loss plateaus before you get where you want to be, or if you decide you really want to get serious about training, then you can always fine-tuning your diet/exercise program later.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
What is the deal with PWO's? I read a bit on the container, and to me it looked like it said that you look more pumped when you use it. Are they actually good for anything?

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
What is the deal with PWO's? I read a bit on the container, and to me it looked like it said that you look more pumped when you use it. Are they actually good for anything?

Most are just caffeine for energy and creatine. Some (NO Xplode, Superpump, etc) contain vasodilators which widen your blood vessels to "allow for more pump and vascularity".

I personally do use them but it's mostly for the energy and focus, which I do notice. The extra pump is questionable.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Most are just caffeine for energy and creatine. Some (NO Xplode, Superpump, etc) contain vasodilators which widen your blood vessels to "allow for more pump and vascularity".

I personally do use them but it's mostly for the energy and focus, which I do notice. The extra pump is questionable.

Interesting. Would you recommend trying it?

NVious*

Interesting. Would you recommend trying it?

Pre workouts can be good for energy, but really it'd be cheaper to formulate your own.

I'd recommend including:
Caffeine (2-400mgs should be enough for most people)
Beta alanine

Effects of β-alanine supplementation on performance and body composition in collegiate wrestlers and football players.

The purpose of this study was to examine the effectiveness of β-alanine as an ergogenic aid in tests of anaerobic power output after 8 weeks of high-intensity interval, repeated sprint, and resistance training in previously trained collegiate wrestlers (WR) and football (FB) players. Twenty-two college WRs (19.9 ± 1.9 years, age ± SD) and 15 college FB players (18.6 ± 1.5 years) participated in this double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Each subject ingested either 4 g·d β-alanine or placebo in powdered capsule form. Subjects were tested pre and posttreatment in timed 300-yd shuttle, 90° flexed-arm hang (FAH), body composition, and blood lactate after 300-yd shuttle. Although not statistically significant (p > 0.05) subjects taking β-alanine achieved more desirable results on all tests compared to those on placebo. Performance improvements were greatest in the FB supplement group, decreasing 300 shuttle time by 1.1 seconds (vs. 0.4-second placebo) and increasing FAH (3.0 vs. 0.39 seconds). The wrestlers, both placebo and supplement, lost weight (as was the goal, i.e., weight bracket allowance); however, the supplement group increased lean mass by 1.1 lb, whereas the placebo group lost lean mass (-0.98 lb). Both FB groups gained weight; however, the supplement group gained an average 2.1-lb lean mass compared to 1.1 lb for placebo. β-Alanine appears to have the ability to augment performance and stimulate lean mass accrual in a short amount of time (8 weeks) in previously trained athletes. Training regimen may have an effect on the degree of benefit from β-alanine supplementation.

Citruline malate
Creatine
L Tyrosine

You can buy the raws online and save money as to what a regular pre workout would cost you, then you can drink it with some gatorade or some carb drink of your choice.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Pre workouts can be good for energy, but really it'd be cheaper to formulate your own.

I'd recommend including:
Caffeine (2-400mgs should be enough for most people)
Beta alanine

Citruline malate
Creatine
L Tyrosine

You can buy the raws online and save money as to what a regular pre workout would cost you, then you can drink it with some gatorade or some carb drink of your choice.

Because I'm lazy, I decided to buy a pack instead of making my own. Tried it today. Aaaaand... Meh. Felt like a junkie popping pills, and I didn't feel different while working out. We'll see if I can feel a difference during the other workouts until that overpriced container runs out.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Just some really key things is after you workout to get plenty of protein. Usually what I do is I have two drinks.

One for after hockey practices/games and the other is for after workouts

After practices and or games I drink some good ol' Chocolate Milk. I could drink regular milk but chocolate milk gives a little extra fat for carbs to replace what I burned off

Obvious after Workouts is the protein shakes. Usually have 2-3 of these a day. Adding all this into my diet usually gives me about 120 grams of protein a day.

Somehow still at 5'9 145 :laugh:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The fat burning effects of coffee and tea are negligible, the will help flush the system though.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

The one I've been trying lately is called Tier-1 by Citadel, I tried it because it just had pretty simple ingredients. No insane chemicals and all that ****. If you read the reviews of NOxlpode and stuff like that some guys say they **** blood, have constant headaches for the rest of their lives, etc.

Just some really key things is after you workout to get plenty of protein. Usually what I do is I have two drinks.

One for after hockey practices/games and the other is for after workouts

After practices and or games I drink some good ol' Chocolate Milk. I could drink regular milk but chocolate milk gives a little extra fat for carbs to replace what I burned off

Obvious after Workouts is the protein shakes. Usually have 2-3 of these a day. Adding all this into my diet usually gives me about 120 grams of protein a day.

Somehow still at 5'9 145 :laugh:

how old are you?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
16 going on 17 shortly.

Why?

Well that explains why you weigh so little haha

Seriously just between like the 16-20 or so range your body will just totally change. I know it sounds cliche but its true haha. You'll most likely fill out don't worry

At that age you really haven't finished going through puberty if at all, I don't even think I've really finished yet too so its nothing to be embarrassed about. I think I weighed like 140 when I was 16 and I weigh like 180 now haha. I grew like half a foot too

Thesensation19*

This all sounds all awfully like a body-building thread. Not to step on anyone's toes over here but this is a hockey thread and if anything, a thread for nutrition on athletes, not a thread on how to improve aesthetics or build bulk/size.

For the athletes, the hockey players and people who want to generally live healthier lives they should follow something along the lines of the Paleo diet. I do not care if you follow it to the T and get off the path here or there but majority of your intake should follow their simple rules.

Quite simply.
Organic foods.
You have your greens, your veggies and your proteins. You intake mostly (% speaking) proteins and fats and little carbs. The carbs thing is interesting though because the more active you are, the more carbs you might need and that is fine.

Its funny to me that we were once a humanity of natural farming and natural living then we got off the beaten path because some people wanted to make easier profits and others wanted quicker food and along the way we threw out all the common sense. Some examples of this are GMOs, or how we feed our cows cow meat (hence the creation of mad cow disease) and we store our chickens in unhealthy situations. Basically we are then eating unhealthy animals... Most just stick them with some antibiotics and for those who are wise, they could see the issues with that.

Anyway not to digress into all that (* I recommend listening to the Joe Rogan Experience Podcast with Joel Salatin to understand more)

Back to the diet (which to me, means simply what you intake and not what your avoiding)
I like the Paleo path because its creative and smart. People say it must be HELL to give up or avoid stuff like cookies and pasta. Have you guys ever looked into some of these recipes? Its fantastic. Easy too.

Paleo Pancakes... 2 eggs per banana. Stir/Mix/Blend. Put on a pan and watch the baby cook to a delicious treat. Put on some raw honey/manuka honey, REAL Maple Syrup (not that fake Aunt J's high fructose syrup) and maybe some organic grass fed whip cream and call it a morning. Dayuummmmmm

I hate when people call these type of nutritional diets a fad... because for the first time in a long time this is the first diet that many other groups of people are admitting to its benefits or agreeing with in their lifestyle.

The crossfitters, the paleo experts, the bulletproof biohackers, the hollistic doctors and many MD doctors as well now and much more have their own strict belief but its all very much the same at the core.

Stay away from processed foods. Frozen foods.
Eat your veggies and your greens.
Limit to avoid sugar, even fructose which should just be limited to.
Eat healthy and be varied in your protein (grass fed)
Butter is a healthy fat... fat is great for you and doesnt make you fat or unhealthy

I get sick and tired of looking up healthy trends on the internet now or see a healthy article these days and see it only be justified by calories. Calories in does not equal calories out. There is common sense to that that is true but there are millions of other variables that take place too.

Like your hormones and the chemical make up of your body which by the way can be effected by eating crappy foods.

Like the vitamins/nutrients/minerals involved in foods or that we lack (70% of America is malnourished apparently. This does not mean 70% are poor but that we dont get the adequate nutrition daily)

And much more...
Eat 1000 calories of good healthy meat and potatoes/veggies and soup or whatever
then eat 500 calories of snacks, junk food, sugar and baked goods

There is a difference. Huge one.

Thesensation19*

Wow that is **** tons of fat - I can never imagine myself eating so much. Do you just load up on nuts and avocados? I also wouldn't survive on 40g carbs. I am cutting my carb intake pretty significantly (for me) and that ends up being around 150g on average.

Those healthy fats can actually have you lose fat on your body...
I am sure most of his fat inatke are from healthy fats.

Thesensation19*

After work out (hockey) recovery drink:

Boil water and stir with raw honey (prefer Manuka Honey)
Add in some Himalayan salt for the missing minerals
Add a bit of lemon

stir and whala

I use to but now avoid gatorade and protein shakes from the juice bars. Both have harmful ingredients and i myself like to keep it as natural as possible. No reason why i need that much table sugar AND sucralose in my gatorade and no reason why i need a cup of soy extract in my shakes.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
This all sounds all awfully like a body-building thread. Not to step on anyone's toes over here but this is a hockey thread and if anything, a thread for nutrition on athletes, not a thread on how to improve aesthetics or build bulk/size.

This forum and this thread is for anyone interested in fitness, training, and nutrition. It is not limited to hockey and other athletes. People are allowed to discuss and ask questions pertaining to whatever their goals may be.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Well that explains why you weigh so little haha

Seriously just between like the 16-20 or so range your body will just totally change. I know it sounds cliche but its true haha. You'll most likely fill out don't worry

At that age you really haven't finished going through puberty if at all, I don't even think I've really finished yet too so its nothing to be embarrassed about. I think I weighed like 140 when I was 16 and I weigh like 180 now haha. I grew like half a foot too

Yeah I know that I haven't really completely gone through puberty yet. I got big shoes to fill as my dad was 6'2 220 when he graduated high school.

I'm just saying even through all my weight training and the "Eat everything in sight as long as it lets me maintain a balanced diet" diet and tons of protein that I have. I'm just a little shocked as to how I can't put on a little weight still.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Yeah I know that I haven't really completely gone through puberty yet. I got big shoes to fill as my dad was 6'2 220 when he graduated high school.

I'm just saying even through all my weight training and the "Eat everything in sight as long as it lets me maintain a balanced diet" diet and tons of protein that I have. I'm just a little shocked as to how I can't put on a little weight still.

There was a kid in my high school that had the same problem, and he was a really good hockey player actually

If he had some size I bet he would've at least gotten drafted, he played for Providence. Its a ****** hand to be dealt but I wouldn't worry about that yet. You'll just hopefully have a really good headstart once those changes actually start to happen

Although I have heard that working out too young will stunt your growth, no idea what constitutes "too young" or how true that even is

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00