The Official Nutrition Thread - Tips, Recommendations, Current Diets

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Well,

It wouldn't be a fitness forum without the nutrition thread. This thread would be the official thread for discussing diets, nutritional info, changes to diet, amount of protein/carb/fat intake, macros, etc.

It should be a good thread for those of you that do bulking/cutting seasons (I do not anymore).

Personally, for me - I've cut out meat from my diet completely (for a month or so). Saw a documentary advising how unhealthy processed meat is for the body so I've kind of went on a 'cleanse' for a little bit, seeing how I feel.

My main sources of protein right now are: Black Beans (good for protein and fibre intake, terrible for taste when you eat it as regularly as I do), tofu/cottage cheese, and protein shakes (most of my protein is coming from this right now, especially days when I get sick of eating the other 2. I have minor protein sources too, like almonds and stuff of that nature, but that's primary of fats. Forgot to add my eggs every morning. 4 eggs - 3 complete (with yolk), one egg white.

Carb sources: Banana (Post-workout), Green Apple (Pre-workout), Brown Rice (Pre-workout), a Spinach pizza I make myself on whole wheat bread (It's pretty healthy, eat it every morning). Black Quinoa for protein, fat and fibre. Veges.

Fat sources: Almonds, Quinoa, Peanut butter, as well as trace from the rest of my diet.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Nutrition is essential for any aspiring bodybuilders. Going to the gym is only half the battle.

I'm 2 weeks into a cutting diet. My maintenance level is around 2700-2800 calories and I've been shooting to eat at a 300 calorie deficit. Have been losing about a pound a week and hopefully not losing too much lean mass. Eating around 150 g of protein + lifting every day should minimize my losses. Worst case, it'll be a lot easier to back on.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
What's your cut look like macro-wise/calorie intake?

~40g Net Carbs,150g Protein, 180g Fat.

So just about 2400 if I'm counting correctly. My concern right now is the maintenance level I'm using might be too low. I've seen a range of 2600-3100 based on the source I use (I should probably just calculate it myself)

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Wow that is **** tons of fat - I can never imagine myself eating so much. Do you just load up on nuts and avocados? I also wouldn't survive on 40g carbs. I am cutting my carb intake pretty significantly (for me) and that ends up being around 150g on average.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Wow that is **** tons of fat - I can never imagine myself eating so much. Do you just load up on nuts and avocados? I also wouldn't survive on 40g carbs. I am cutting my carb intake pretty significantly (for me) and that ends up being around 150g on average.

Low carb diet. I bought a huge barrel of almonds at costco and I've been loading all my drinks with cocunut oil.

I hope I'm doing this right :laugh:

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Low carb diets are good for fast results but it's not sustainable since you're gonna increase your carb intake when you go maintenance. How's your energy levels with so little carbs?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Currently on a "eat everything in sight" diet to gain some extra pounds. Trying to get at least 5 meals a day. Lots of Chicken, Steak, pork chops, fish, rise, potatoes, pasta, bread, fruit and veggies. I try to eat some nuts, but I'm not really a big fan, so it usually ends after a few days. I'm at 160 now, trying to get to 170-175, but its tough. Haven't really gained much the last couple of months despite trying really hard.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Low carb diets are good for fast results but it's not sustainable since you're gonna increase your carb intake when you go maintenance. How's your energy levels with so little carbs?

I'm planning on this lasting a ~month which should knock me down to about 9 percent body fat, I hope it works till then and then I can glide through summer with a small deficit till I actually bulk.

I've been a little groggy. I've been fine lifting, but thats probably the pre workout.

Most of my carbs come from green tea which is probably the reason I'm not dead.

Last edited:

svat

Jul 29, 2010
Low carb diet. I bought a huge barrel of almonds at costco and I've been loading all my drinks with cocunut oil.

I hope I'm doing this right :laugh:

im no expert, but with relative certainty i can say that you should definitely move some of those fat macros into protein, especially if you are concerned about keeping as much LBM as possible. 100 grams of fat should be fine for hormone levels and whatever its good for (again, not an expert lol, just listen to people a lot smarter than i am), and your protein is a little low (should be ok, but .8 grams per pound of bodyweight is the minimum i would eat, and i try to go to at least 1 gram per pound just to be 'safe').

svat

Jul 29, 2010
right now i'm sort of doing intermittent fasting on a cut, don't really buy the whole "you can't eat outside the window or you lose muscle and not fat" thing, i just find it easier to maintain a deficit when you can come home and eat 1400 calories at once. i definitely feel full, and just get through the day with an apple or two and a protein shake (and lots of coffee, amongst other things).

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
right now i'm sort of doing intermittent fasting on a cut, don't really buy the whole "you can't eat outside the window or you lose muscle and not fat" thing, i just find it easier to maintain a deficit when you can come home and eat 1400 calories at once. i definitely feel full, and just get through the day with an apple or two and a protein shake (and lots of coffee, amongst other things).

How is this working for you? I tried it for maybe a week and I felt faint. It was also a pain in the ass waiting till 4 or 5 to eat.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
The stuff I have has a lot of caffeine. 'Natural' caffeine is obviously good for energy, but its also a thermogenic which helps burn fat.
I don't understand how you get 40g of carbs out of green tea... do you drink 80 cups of green tea a day?

It would definitely work for me, I have no problem skipping breakfast but I want to have the flexibility of having something light (300cal) in the morning if I want to.

svat

Jul 29, 2010
How is this working for you? I tried it for maybe a week and I felt faint. It was also a pain in the ass waiting till 4 or 5 to eat.

it does suck to be honest. I would recommend just trying to eat as little as possible throughout the day, but eat if it's really effecting your life haha. I usually will eat about 300-400 calories from breakfast on and it isn't too bad (the caffeine helps). Another thing that helps me is eating carbs in the morning and about 1-2 hours before I go workout, that way I have feel pretty energized (compared to absolutely zero food). I usually eat the protein and fat heavy meals post-workout (not for nutrient timing which isn't a big deal for me and most lifters that aren't at the elite stage). I mean, if you can eat at a deficit and eat normally throughout the day, that would be better for sure, I just have trouble doing that.

svat

Jul 29, 2010
I don't understand how you get 40g of carbs out of green tea... do you drink 80 cups of green tea a day?

It would definitely work for me, I have no problem skipping breakfast but I want to have the flexibility of having something light (300cal) in the morning if I want to.

yep, skipping breakfast isnt too hard for me either. Its around noon that I start to get pretty tired. Another coffee and an apple (and if I'm really tired and hungry I'll have a protein shake as well, I usually have at least a third of a scoop at lunch to mix my creatine into it) get me through until the gym at 4.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
The stuff I have is like 10 grams a serving. I usually have 2 a day.
That's some weird ****. What kind of green tea is it?

yep, skipping breakfast isnt too hard for me either. Its around noon that I start to get pretty tired. Another coffee and an apple (and if I'm really tired and hungry I'll have a protein shake as well, I usually have at least a third of a scoop at lunch to mix my creatine into it) get me through until the gym at 4.
I usually aim for about 600 calories for lunch (plus midday snack before gym - greek yogurt) and then eat a proper dinner after the gym.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Well,

It wouldn't be a fitness forum without the nutrition thread. This thread would be the official thread for discussing diets, nutritional info, changes to diet, amount of protein/carb/fat intake, macros, etc.

It should be a good thread for those of you that do bulking/cutting seasons (I do not anymore).

Personally, for me - I've cut out meat from my diet completely (for a month or so). Saw a documentary advising how unhealthy processed meat is for the body so I've kind of went on a 'cleanse' for a little bit, seeing how I feel.

My main sources of protein right now are: Black Beans (good for protein and fibre intake, terrible for taste when you eat it as regularly as I do), tofu/cottage cheese, and protein shakes (most of my protein is coming from this right now, especially days when I get sick of eating the other 2. I have minor protein sources too, like almonds and stuff of that nature, but that's primary of fats. Forgot to add my eggs every morning. 4 eggs - 3 complete (with yolk), one egg white.

Carb sources: Banana (Post-workout), Green Apple (Pre-workout), Brown Rice (Pre-workout), a Spinach pizza I make myself on whole wheat bread (It's pretty healthy, eat it every morning). Black Quinoa for protein, fat and fibre. Veges.

Fat sources: Almonds, Quinoa, Peanut butter, as well as trace from the rest of my diet.

Wicked source of protein & fibre, and versatile enough to use in a lot of recipes. Quest protein bars have a very good nutritional profile and would make a great addition to any diet.

Currently on a "eat everything in sight" diet to gain some extra pounds. Trying to get at least 5 meals a day. Lots of Chicken, Steak, pork chops, fish, rise, potatoes, pasta, bread, fruit and veggies. I try to eat some nuts, but I'm not really a big fan, so it usually ends after a few days. I'm at 160 now, trying to get to 170-175, but its tough. Haven't really gained much the last couple of months despite trying really hard.

I hear ya RWF. I'm in the 165-170 range (give or take with water weight), and would like to be between 175-180. I don't want to eat complete garbage (not saying anything you listed is garbage haha), but I also simply cannot afford to buy a **** ton of food to eat.

All I can say is gains take time and lots of patience.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
it does suck to be honest. I would recommend just trying to eat as little as possible throughout the day, but eat if it's really effecting your life haha. I usually will eat about 300-400 calories from breakfast on and it isn't too bad (the caffeine helps). Another thing that helps me is eating carbs in the morning and about 1-2 hours before I go workout, that way I have feel pretty energized (compared to absolutely zero food). I usually eat the protein and fat heavy meals post-workout (not for nutrient timing which isn't a big deal for me and most lifters that aren't at the elite stage). I mean, if you can eat at a deficit and eat normally throughout the day, that would be better for sure, I just have trouble doing that.

Are you lifting as much? That was what scared me off

That's some weird ****. What kind of green tea is it?

I usually aim for about 600 calories for lunch (plus midday snack before gym - greek yogurt) and then eat a proper dinner after the gym.

Lipton in the bottle, and after looking at the other green tea's I'm going back to packets

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
I hear ya RWF. I'm in the 165-170 range (give or take with water weight), and would like to be between 175-180. I don't want to eat complete garbage (not saying anything you listed is garbage haha), but I also simply cannot afford to buy a **** ton of food to eat.

All I can say is gains take time and lots of patience.

For bulking up, the one thing that helped me was homemade weight gainers. The one's you buy are bad for you, but your choice of protein+milk+oats+cocoanut oil is killer. Tastes amazing too

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
yeah you're just drinking sugar. Green tea shouldn't have any carbs in it. Now you can have a banana or a cookie or something instead.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Did intermittent fasting, it was amazing. I clean bulked from 185-190 doing it, and honestly I was never out of energy or anything, I felt amazing, and it was especially convenient being a student - I only had to eat when I came home - no junk cafeteria food needed if I woke up late and forgot to pack. Only reason I stopped it was because I couldn't eat that much at once. Like right now I have to eat around 4200 calories a day, I can't eat that many calories in 6 hours without eating complete junk. So I divide them into small meals.

Also, Green Tea is GOAT. I have it almost every pre-workout. It's a natural fat burner and appetite suppressant along with it's many other benefits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->