The Official Nutrition Thread - Tips, Recommendations, Current Diets

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Wicked source of protein & fibre, and versatile enough to use in a lot of recipes. Quest protein bars have a very good nutritional profile and would make a great addition to any diet.

I hear ya RWF. I'm in the 165-170 range (give or take with water weight), and would like to be between 175-180. I don't want to eat complete garbage (not saying anything you listed is garbage haha), but I also simply cannot afford to buy a **** ton of food to eat.

All I can say is gains take time and lots of patience.

It was easy at first. I hadn't really worked out in a few years (since I quit playing hockey) and started getting a bit too skinny. I think I was at about 140. didn't take me more than a couple of months to get to 155, but from there to 160 has been a different story. I'm in no rush though. If I can get to 170 before the end of the year, I'll be more than happy.

For bulking up, the one thing that helped me was homemade weight gainers. The one's you buy are bad for you, but your choice of protein+milk+oats+cocoanut oil is killer. Tastes amazing too

I'll definitely try this. Dont know where to go to get coconut oil or oats (other than oatmeal), but I'm sure I can figure it out. Google is my friend:D

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
For bulking up, the one thing that helped me was homemade weight gainers. The one's you buy are bad for you, but your choice of protein+milk+oats+cocoanut oil is killer. Tastes amazing too

I wish someone told me this earlier. I bought 10 pounds of weight gainer last year, finished about half and realized I was really only getting fatter - most of the calories were from sugar. Then, someone else told me another weight gainer was good, so I bought 10 pounds of that. :facepalm:

Now, I have around 15 pounds of weight gainer sitting around, it expires in 2 years (or so, I should check), and I don't even want to take a scoop. I might just bite the bullet and use it when I want to not-clean bulk one day, or use it as a meal replace (1 scoop instead of the recommended 5 or 6) once in a while. Both are opened and I can't sell them, so I need to finish them now or feel like I just burned roughly $150. :laugh:

Now, when anyone in the gym asks me about 'weight-gainers', I tell them emphatically NO I don't care if you think you're a hardcore ectomorph, a weight-gainer is the equivalent of you having a protein shake with 10 servings of sugar... You might as well do that if you want a weight gainer.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Now, when anyone in the gym asks me about 'weight-gainers', I tell them emphatically NO I don't care if you think you're a hardcore ectomorph, a weight-gainer is the equivalent of you having a protein shake with 10 servings of sugar... You might as well do that if you want a weight gainer.
Wrong. You should tell them it's great and give them your leftovers. Problem solved.

You guys realize that green tea fat burn thing is bs right? You have to drink like 10 cups a day for any minimal results.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Wrong. You should tell them it's great and give them your leftovers. Problem solved.

You guys realize that green tea fat burn thing is bs right? You have to drink like 10 cups a day for any minimal results.

If I wanted to give them away, I would have. I wish I could isolate the protein from my weight gainer and remove the rest. :laugh:

Well, Green-Tea is a natural fat burner, if not for 'fat-burning' qualities, the fact that it's an appetizer suppressant helps you during your cut. ;) I've heard about the studies that say you can't definitively say it's a fat burner because the mouse they were testing it on had the equivalent of 10 cups or so per human (or whatever it was), but at the same time is there definite proof it isn't a fat burner? Not sure about it either way, didn't pay much attention to the studies.

I feel amazing after drinking my cups of hot green tea, but maybe it's a placebo effect because I think it's so beneficial for me.

Last edited:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007

Will definitely give this a shot. Do you blend them all together? How many do you drink per day?

It was easy at first. I hadn't really worked out in a few years (since I quit playing hockey) and started getting a bit too skinny. I think I was at about 140. didn't take me more than a couple of months to get to 155, but from there to 160 has been a different story. I'm in no rush though. If I can get to 170 before the end of the year, I'll be more than happy.

I'll definitely try this. Dont know where to go to get coconut oil or oats (other than oatmeal), but I'm sure I can figure it out. Google is my friend:D

In Canada, I've found coconut oil at grocery stores, health stores, etc. It's pretty common and I'm sure you could pick it up easily over where you live :)

Last edited:

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
I've recently switched my diet to try to cut out all processed foods, particularly processed carbs. A few weeks back I went food shopping at the local whole foods. I must have spent 2 hours in there just reading nutrition labels, as well as looking for bargains, as you all know Whole Foods can be expensive for many things, but you can still find some cheap items. Cutting out breads and pasta has been really tough on me, but I'm starting to find substitutes for my old favorite dishes.

For the last month or so, I've basically been living on:

Breakfast - 1 of the following
Fruit Smoothie with Spinach/Kale, natural peanut butter, Greek Yogurt, frozen mixed berries, splash of natural fruit juice(grape/pomegranate)
Eggs
Steel Cut Oats

Lunch
light salads with grilled chicken or ground turkey meat, 1/2 avocado, sliced tomato and drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice

Dinners
Organic Meats, mostly chicken, a few steaks mixed in, ground turkey
Lentils, Black Beans, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots, Brown Rice

Snacks
Almonds, Apples, Bananas

I've been trying to stick to this plan at least 80% of the time, a few cheat days mixed in, and still trying to figure out how to accomodate date nite with the wife.

I've lost about 5 lbs so far, but I've definitely noticed a big difference in the way I feel, so I'm pretty pleased with the results.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I'll never forget this conversation that I overheard at my gym a few months back.

This one guy was talking to this one really jacked guy that I guess he hadn't seen in a while.

Normal guy: "What's your secret man"?
Jacked guy: "Steroids and McDonalds"

:laugh:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've recently switched my diet to try to cut out all processed foods, particularly processed carbs. A few weeks back I went food shopping at the local whole foods. I must have spent 2 hours in there just reading nutrition labels, as well as looking for bargains, as you all know Whole Foods can be expensive for many things, but you can still find some cheap items. Cutting out breads and pasta has been really tough on me, but I'm starting to find substitutes for my old favorite dishes.

I try to get all my protein from Whole Foods, which can be a bit pricey... but when compared to other grocery stores, it's really not that bad price wise. Their produce prices are pretty much the same. You just need to pay attention, and realize things like berries of any kind will be $6 for one plastic container one day, and then 2 days later they'll be buy one get one free, and to only buy them when their like that. Same with stuff like their really good cherry tomatoes.

Whole Foods only gets really expensive when you start buying the processed or stuff from the frozen stuff.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Going to start a cut soon. Need to psych myself out to get it going :laugh:

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Going to start a cut soon. Need to psych myself out to get it going :laugh:

Ah, the dread of the summer cut. I've been lean bulking for a few months, and I get into a daily cycling mode in the summer, so I think I'll just stick with my current macros and keep buying my poptarts. :P

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Anyone use chia seeds in their yougurt/cereal? I usually put Bear Naked granola in it.

Can't get into the Greek yogurt either, I eat Danon Activia.

To the OP, how do you make your spinach pizza?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
To the OP, how do you make your spinach pizza?

I saw it in some guy's YouTube video a while back and have been following it since. It's not that hard to find, depending on what you want - check out these if you want healthy Pizza recipes. It's literally amazing because I hate Spinach alone, but it gets all my Spinach and Veges in and tastes pretty good.

High Protein Pizza

Spinach and Cheese Pizza

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yeah I used to eat the Bear Naked Protein granola as a snack.

I've tried Greek yogurt and just can't do it. Makes me gag. I just eat plain Dannon yogurt with frozen berries.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

I've tried Greek yogurt and just can't do it. Makes me gag. I just eat plain Dannon yogurt with frozen berries.

Yeah the Chobani Greek doesn't work for me. I put Bear Naked triple berry into Activia, I eat 2 yogurts for breakfast.

I'm actually trying to lose and keep off weight. I weighed 186/187 near the end of January. Since I've dieted I got down to ~175. I'm ~5'-9".

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

Which brands of Greek yogurt have you tried? I started with Chobani and thought it was awful. Later on I tried Stonyfield Oikos and Dannon Oikos, both of which I liked. Now I have Fage, and it's my favorite. Used to eat plain La Yogurt in the morning, but I've replaced that with Fage and notice very little difference (just less sweet).

I'm speaking of non-fat plain for all of those yogurts. Not sure how flavored ones taste but I prefer to add my own toppings rather than the pre-added sugary stuff.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Greek Yogurt is delicious. I still like making my 'chocolate pudding' with Greek yogurt.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
right now i'm sort of doing intermittent fasting on a cut, don't really buy the whole "you can't eat outside the window or you lose muscle and not fat" thing, i just find it easier to maintain a deficit when you can come home and eat 1400 calories at once. i definitely feel full, and just get through the day with an apple or two and a protein shake (and lots of coffee, amongst other things).

This is exactly what I do when I cut.

No breakfast, a very light lunch, and tons of water and tea during the day. A pre-workout gives me a boost before I lift, then a big dinner. I do this for about 4 weeks while throwing in a cheat day. Never fails me.

The reason why it works so well for me is because A) After my first meal I'm hungry for the rest of the day and B) I can't go to bed hungry.

Right now I'm trying to put on some clean weight without adding too much fat. I'm 162 with 10% BF but would like to get up to 170. Eating about 2700-3000 per day, shakes before and after my workouts, and some creatine monohydrate. Expect to put on about 1lb a week and will stave off getting soft by throwing in some HIIT at the end of each workout.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Greek Yogurt is delicious. I still like making my 'chocolate pudding' with Greek yogurt.

Plain greek yogurt with chocolate whey powder. Throw in some frozen fruit and granola. :nod:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Would anyone else be interested in a recipe sharing thread of sorts? I do a lot of cooking in general, and take it pretty seriously... and have a lot of incredibly tasting healthy recipes. Would be more than happy to share them, but don't want to put the effort into it if no one cares and all we want are protein shakes and steamed chicken.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Would anyone else be interested in a recipe sharing thread of sorts? I do a lot of cooking in general, and take it pretty seriously... and have a lot of incredibly tasting healthy recipes. Would be more than happy to share them, but don't want to put the effort into it if no one cares and all we want are protein shakes and steamed chicken.

I absolutely would love this. Unfortunately my cooking repertoire is rather limited, so any chance to expand it is welcome.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I absolutely would love this. Unfortunately my cooking repertoire is rather limited, so any chance to expand it is welcome.

I can generally dumb any recipe down to as long as you have a microwave, fork, and knife that you could make it if you were willing to put some form of effort into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad