The Official Nutrition Thread - Tips, Recommendations, Current Diets

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
****ing my fitness pal app now costs $60 a year. What. The. ****.

Underarmour doesnt make enough money???

Guess im going to switch trackibg apps , suggestions?!?!

What exactly are you paying for? I have the app and it never asks me to pay for anything..

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Bought brownie and apple pie quest bars today. Not cheap but ill have one tomorrow for breakfast and see how it is.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Apple pie is good. Strawberry cheesecake and cinnamon are my favorite.

That being said, still prefer Combat Crunch. You can break someone's skull with those but they keep you much fuller. Quest bars are candy to me.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I dunno ive only ever used the app.

Even if I can its annoying having to switch between phone and computer just to see info that used to be available.

I use the app as well, and haven't been asked to pay to see the macros. We are talking about when you turn the the phone to landscape orientation, right?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I use the app as well, and haven't been asked to pay to see the macros. We are talking about when you turn the the phone to landscape orientation, right?
Yeah it only shiws calories.

In the diary page, used to press the top bar where it says goal-food-exercise-remaining and it would show macro breakdown.

Now it shows a lock screen and upgrade option.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I dont really calculate/count calories or macros tbh

I just make sure I have a healthy and balanced diet while paying attention to meals-snacks-sups timing

All that combined with working out = good results

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Well if you already have Excel on your computer it wouldn't cost you a thing to create a file for tracking your macros

And an excel file can do everything a tracking app would.

That maybe true. However i dont have a computer.

And the app was free up until a few weeks ago.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't count calories. I just kinda keep track throughout the day by looking at the cal/serving and how many servings I'm having. I care so much more about what it's made up of than how many calories I'm eating though.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Keeping track of macros has improved my results in a massive way.
Its so easy to do these days with barcode scanners and apps etc.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
So just looking for some workout advice,

In training for next season of hockey I am trying to gain mass (10-15 lbs) and am wondering the best ways to go about this. I know some things like about working out like higher weights, lower reps; but I am very noob-ish on nutrition and on making an actual plan.

Can anyone give me some advice of what kind of food to eat or some guys online that have good hockey specific workouts I could follow? Also type of protein to buy (not sure if they are different)?

Thanks a lot HF.

P.S. Will shout out if I make the NHL:naughty:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

In training for next season of hockey I am trying to gain mass (10-15 lbs) and am wondering the best ways to go about this. I know some things like about working out like higher weights, lower reps; but I am very noob-ish on nutrition and on making an actual plan.

Can anyone give me some advice of what kind of food to eat or some guys online that have good hockey specific workouts I could follow? Also type of protein to buy (not sure if they are different)?

Thanks a lot HF.

I will touch on the workouts. I remember when I started sports training. I was good at hockey and sports-specific training made me great. I'll never forget when I was 14-15 and started training w/ my trainer. It really did change my life. I thought I knew how to work hard and had no clue. I will try to keep this short but if you want my background and a lot more info - shoot me a PM.

- #1 thing to focus on: FUNCTIONAL strength.

- Some easy tools to buy and have at the house: Agility ladder (must own) and jump rope.

- Weight/exercises: Squats, box jumps, lunges. Legs feed the wolf.

Bottom line, footwork and leg power drive you as an athlete. Also don't just lift to lift. Build strength with a purpose. Youtube/google research is your best friend. Look for athletic functional strength. A lot of it can be bodyweighted movements. Even better - weightlifting for functional strength, too. I firmly believe there is a difference between strength and being able to use it in a sport. You might be able to bench 300lbs, but are you using that same strength when you are skating and pushing a guy off you in front of the net to create space? Your body HAS to work tired and has to work altogether in that moment.

An example of our regimen:

Monday: AM - Gym Legs (squats, squat jumps, lunges, box jumps, frog jumps, etc.)
PM: Agility ladder/footwork

Tuesday: On ice training (or if it's the offseason, work on stick handling or your shot outside. Try releases. Try things that make you feel awkward (if you are a defender - work on taking a puck off the boards and releasing it to the net while skating backwards).

Wednesday: AM - Gym Upper Body; PM Agility ladder/footwork/sprints

Thursday: On ice training

Friday: Train tired! Different workouts and then immediately doing sprints after. How does your body react when it's tired? Do 3 sets of squats, but in between do speed/agility or box jumps. 3rd period time.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
One thing to always remember - there is no one way to train. There are so many good things out there that might fit you. Just plan for you. What works for you. What you will commit to.

We say it a lot around here, but just wanted to add that.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Thanks a lot HF.

Eat good sources of carbs (whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, quinoa, brown rice, black beans, etc.). Eat lean protein like chicken. Burgers are tasty but they also have quite a bit of fat on them. I've never trained for hockey so honestly I could be completely off base here but I'm pretty sure hockey high rep strength training would help hockey players a lot as well as building up endurance (cardio). Make sure you're getting your fruits and veggies too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad