The Official Nutrition Thread - Tips, Recommendations, Current Diets

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Usually big bowl of healthy cereal in the morning, 3-4 scrambled eggs with bread around noon, some form of pasta at 3ish, whatever I can find at about 6, and then dinner at 8ish. I try to have chicken with potatoes, or/and rice + veggies on the side as much as possible, but being brown, I get roti a lot. This plus some fruits and vegetables throughout the day has worked well for me.

Could you define a "healthy" cereal? Because when looking at most of them, the sugar and carbohydrates are usually pretty high - even from cereals that advertise themselves as "healthy". The only thing I've found that is remotely close is a gluten free "rice crispies". I could care less that it's gluten free - it's just the healthiest I've been able to find. However it's basically tasteless - especially after the unsweetened almond milk. I put a protein powder on it, to get some protein and it has the added benefit of adding taste to it.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Carbs in cereal aren't a bad thing, but if we're talking about sugar, you won't find a good tasting cereal without sugar - Cheerios are disgusting unless we're talking Honey Nut, which has plenty. You can try Puffins but I pretty much eliminated cereals from my diet because of the sugar (plus bloat from all the milk, carbs and sugar).

I also have binging tendencies so no cereals, granolas, or anything sugary.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Carbs in cereal aren't a bad thing, but if we're talking about sugar, you won't find a good tasting cereal without sugar - Cheerios are disgusting unless we're talking Honey Nut, which has plenty. You can try Puffins but I pretty much eliminated cereals from my diet because of the sugar (plus bloat from all the milk, carbs and sugar).

I also have binging tendencies so no cereals, granolas, or anything sugary.

I love Cheerios by themselves, but my intake is minimal due to a low carb diet.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Love Cheerios too, haven't had them in years though but now i'm craving them from this thread.

This has been my go to cereal for months now:
IMG_6466.1.jpg

wpid-2013-03-29-08-41-09.jpg

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
My first meal of the day is a protein shake with dry oats, flax, coconut, peanut butter and a banana. 800 calories or more, but a good balance between macros.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ppl afraid of carbs for no reason lol

I wanna be lean. Too many Carbs don't help that. If I want to look like a big body builder i'll get pack in the carbs.

That being said, I have plenty of carbs a day still :laugh:

Going on vacation late July though, i'll probably drastically cut out the carbs a month beforehand to really get a lean look.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Too many don't help but too few don't either..

I guess the definition of "low" is the key.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I am interested how you came up with that ratio?

Trial and error based on how I feel and perform best. I originally was closer to 30/30/40, which is essentially The Zone diet, but different tweaks over the years have resulted in something along these lines. For example, as I've put more emphasis on cardio & conditioning, my calorie demands have increased. It's easier to meet that with a higher percentage of fats in my diet instead of overdoing it on proteins & carbs. I also find it easier to be at a calorie deficit (when I want) on this diet and not feel hungry. I've also been vegan for the last 16 years. Not that that even changes anything, but I was definitely relying too much on carbs before I gave my macros any serious thought and often feeling hungry despite *always* eating.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I'm generally around 25/40/35 (protein/fat/carbs) on a normal to high calorie day and 30/40/30 on an easier to low calorie day.
I'm around the same. I need to start eating more carbs though because I am not recovering as fast as I'd like; however, fat is what keeps me sane.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Trial and error based on how I feel and perform best. I originally was closer to 30/30/40, which is essentially The Zone diet, but different tweaks over the years have resulted in something along these lines. For example, as I've put more emphasis on cardio & conditioning, my calorie demands have increased. It's easier to meet that with a higher percentage of fats in my diet instead of overdoing it on proteins & carbs. I also find it easier to be at a calorie deficit (when I want) on this diet and not feel hungry. I've also been vegan for the last 16 years. Not that that even changes anything, but I was definitely relying too much on carbs before I gave my macros any serious thought and often feeling hungry despite *always* eating.

Interesting. If it works for you then good on ya.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Just an fyi for anyone interested I've gone from 220+ g protein daily to around 150 daily and have noticed exactly zero difference in the gym.

It's alot easier to eat less meat and or shakes obviously.... try it out if you want to.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Just an fyi for anyone interested I've gone from 220+ g protein daily to around 150 daily and have noticed exactly zero difference in the gym.

It's alot easier to eat less meat and or shakes obviously.... try it out if you want to.

Well yeah, your body can only digest so much protein at a time. Could very well be wrong but I remember it being like 35g and then the rest is just going to be wasted. A lot of people are going to have future kidney problems doing this for years. Even 150g is probably still on the high side.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Well yeah, your body can only digest so much protein at a time. Could very well be wrong but I remember it being like 35g and then the rest is just going to be wasted. A lot of people are going to have future kidney problems doing this for years. Even 150g is probably still on the high side.
I don't believe thats true either, obviously eating 120 grams for breakfast and then 30 over the rest of the day isn't going to be optimal.

But getting the protein is more important than trying to limit the portions to a set amount. The body will make use of all the nutrients it needs.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
And where did you read the body only uses 35 grams of protein and the rest is all wasted? I'm no expert but that sounds like absolute nonsense. I'm sure one of the guys/gals with more knowledge on the subject will chime in

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
And where did you read the body only uses 35 grams of protein and the rest is all wasted? I'm no expert but that sounds like absolute nonsense. I'm sure one of the guys/gals with more knowledge on the subject will chime in

My professor for a nutrition in the life cycle class last semester. I can't remember the exact number but I want to say it was around there. I'll get back to you on that because I could be wrong for sure.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
My professor for a nutrition in the life cycle class last semester. I can't remember the exact number but I want to say it was around there. I'll get back to you on that because I could be wrong for sure.

35 is a ridiculously small number. It's like one protein shake lol

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Normally, I am pretty religious about tracking my calories and macros. We started two-a-days the first of August, and we have to feed the players all month until school officially starts. Which means a lot of cafeteria food and buffets/restaurants. So I decided to just take a break from all the counting, and use this month as a short mini-bulk.

My goodness, the mental relief from tracking has been amazing. It's such a good feeling to just go and enjoy a meal. I know people talk about taking diet breaks, but never truly bought into it. It's definitely a necessity every now and then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad