The Official Nutrition Thread - Tips, Recommendations, Current Diets

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Some other ones include acesulfame potassium (ace-K), Neotame, Saccharin, Advantame...added to the list that you have Nyquist.

And like Kitten Mittons correctly pointed out, sugar alcohols are invariably of interest too - you can identify them usually by the way they end in 'ol' ie: Xylitol or Erythitol.

Oct 18, 2011
my room mate is eating super clean right now. nothing but chicken, rice, egg whites and protein drinks for the most part

he's getting lean but how long is a diet like this sustainable for? i am thinking of doing it myself, just slightly modified(oatmeal instead of egg whites, and some red meat)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
And of course the one sweetener we haven't talked about, HFCS (glucose-fructose in Canada)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
my room mate is eating super clean right now. nothing but chicken, rice, egg whites and protein drinks for the most part

he's getting lean but how long is a diet like this sustainable for? i am thinking of doing it myself, just slightly modified(oatmeal instead of egg whites, and some red meat)

Assuming that he's eating his greens and other coloured veggies, its sustainable for as long as you want. Basically consider it a lifestyle choice rather than a 'diet' and it helps keep you on track

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I don't think you have to sustain those diets forever. If you can do that for 10 weeks twice a year and just be conscious the rest of the year, you will love your body.

Personally, I don't believe any diet is sustainable. If you set yourself up with 10 week game plans to eat healthy and go back to your normal groove afterward, you will be successful. Just be conscious when you are out that you don't overeat and completely binge because you were dieting. Enjoy yourself in moderation. Commit when you are in your diet game plan.

*Please note.. I'm not talking about people who have professions that deal with their body (pro athlete, bodybuilder, model, etc). Just everyday office workers or what not.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Assuming that he's eating his greens and other coloured veggies, its sustainable for as long as you want. Basically consider it a lifestyle choice rather than a 'diet' and it helps keep you on track

I don't know. I like your comment about a lifestyle choice. I think being conscious about a healthier way of living is most definitely a lifestyle choice. Limiting yourself to such a strict diet is really not sustainable. I'd say less than maybe 5% of people (made up number:laugh:) can sustain that over years and years.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't know. I like your comment about a lifestyle choice. I think being conscious about a healthier way of living is most definitely a lifestyle choice. Limiting yourself to such a strict diet is really not sustainable. I'd say less than maybe 5% of people (made up number:laugh:) can sustain that over years and years.

Oddly, ColePens, 5% is exactly the number of people that can sustain a diet for five years or more. Overwhelmingly people fail at dieting all the time.

You guys are bang on when it comes to viewing as a lifestyle approach. What is the difference? It would be the holistic view of of changing diet, exercise, exposure to toxic elements, stress level management, emotional well being, etc It sounds like some huge and potentially intimidating changes, but if you take a piecemeal approach it is definitely doable. The stats are definitive for weight loss when someone adopts and embraces a different lifestyle approach. Two of the biggest factors are gut health and stress levels, neither of which are 'fixed' in a short term diet plan but are absolutely address when someone take a holistic stance on the changes the need to make.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Drinking 100% ginger root juice, no additives, fillers, or sweeteners. Just 100% juiced ginger root.

****ing christ this is potent. Had a rough last few weeks on the diet, and was starting to feel like crap. Curious as to if this can be a digestive aid of sorts to clear some of that junk out, without doing a full on detox, as I'm about to start the Whole 30 plan, again.

Took about two pounds worth of ginger root to get about 15oz worth of juice.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Drinking 100% ginger root juice, no additives, fillers, or sweeteners. Just 100% juiced ginger root.

****ing christ this is potent. Had a rough last few weeks on the diet, and was starting to feel like crap. Curious as to if this can be a digestive aid of sorts to clear some of that junk out, without doing a full on detox, as I'm about to start the Whole 30 plan, again.

Took about two pounds worth of ginger root to get about 15oz worth of juice.

Just curious, what is the cost of that?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Just curious, what is the cost of that?

I bought it from a local juice shop that juiced it right there in front of me when I ordered it, and it ran me $10. Or I could have bought a one ounce shot for $1.

But ginger usually no more than $3-4 a pound out here if I were to buy it at a grocery store, if I remember correctly.

What I save in time and frustration of not having to do it myself is well worth the extra $3-4 to just pay someone else to do it. I do a lot of juicing myself, and I always add ginger to it, but I'm only doing a small piece here and there. It's a nightmare to peel and juice.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Anyone put oats in their shakes? If so does it turn out okay?

Yes. 1/2 cup of dry, rolled oats in every shake I make. It will blend up just fine with at least 12 oz of water. I actually prefer the chewier texture of a shake with oats. Some other good ideas:

- milled flax
- shredded coconut
- banana
- peanut butter

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yes. 1/2 cup of dry, rolled oats in every shake I make. It will blend up just fine with at least 12 oz of water. I actually prefer the chewier texture of a shake with oats. Some other good ideas:

- milled flax
- shredded coconut
- banana
- peanut butter

I put 1/2 a banana in all my protein shakes. I also mix 1/3 of a cup of unsweetened almond milk. Unbelievable how much better the shakes taste when doing this.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
For those of you with two games a day, what do you eat and generally maintain your body? I have games Monday at 6am and another between 8 and 11pm.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Started iifym about 10 days ago. So far so good, feels good to have more carbs. Much more energy.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Kinda nutrition related but just made my own toothpaste. Super easy and excellent for teeth and overall health.

Organic coconut oil 5 Tbsp
Baking soda 5 Tbsp
Peppermint extract

Mixed them in a bowl first but then wanted it to be smoother so used the blender. Then put it in a mason jar once that was done. Tastes great and way cheaper than store bought.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This stuff is awesome in shakes and home made protein bars!

pGNC1-13828027dt.jpg

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Boy.. chopped salads are the way to ****ing good. :yo: Just so much better than salads. Who would of thought how a salad is prepared would change how much you like it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
****ing my fitness pal app now costs $60 a year. What. The. ****.

Underarmour doesnt make enough money???

Guess im going to switch trackibg apps , suggestions?!?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad