Speculation: The Official Bjugstad Thread: Alias Hate and Love not far from each other

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Sometimes players need opportunities, I agree. Like the opportunity to play on the wing with Barkov for the first time, right? And what has Bjugstad done with this opportunity?
I don't think people expect him to be a +70 points player next year if he's on the first line. Just like no one expect Barkov to keep this pace and be at 110+ points next season. It's simply that they have been very productive together and some people don't get why it seems like once things go well with this team, it needs to be changed. Espescially changing something that is working.
Who would we change Bjugstad with? Grabner? Send Trocheck packing for Pacc? Tippett? Converting Borgstrom from a center to a winger? Barkov and Trocheck are playing insane minutes because McCann can't be trusted, but we should convert his replacement?

Why do you keep projecting Brogstrom on the wing and not at center where he has played his whole career? Barkov and Tro are playing way too much and Tro's 5v5 numbers have been terrible and it might be because he's playing too much. Borgstrom needs to be at center and be better than McCann. Tippett should have a shot, but he needs to earn it, not have it given to him. His stint this year was bad. So let's not pencil on the first line for next year a guy that can't dominate the OHL just yet.
Crouse was drafted to take a role on the top 6 at RW and we are all seeing how well this is going.
Bjugstad has been on the top line a few times.

I said he's fine on the top line but I would trade Bjugstad for a top 4 d-man in a second.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Agree we will have to wait to see if he can take that role right away, but he will be in that position before Nicks contract is up. Not a question of IF, its a question of when.

And yes there are very legitimate concerns that he falls back if he is not on the top line with Barky. Real concerns. He could also play the whole next season there and do even better, but which do you think is more likely based upon 5 years of his career. The career year being the norm?

Barkov on pace for 111 with Bjugstad, lol. Cant make those comments up.

Barkov obviously has been the recepient of the goals bouncing in off Nicks passes etc. lol.
The problem with this thinking (purely looking at numbers) is, that you can't realistically compare Bjugstad from previous years to Bjugstad from this season. Saying "well he's just putting up those points because he's playing with Barkov, any capable NHL forward could do that" is really dissing how he's managed to turn his game around playing without the puck. And that's not a Barkov thing either, he's played like this all year long no matter the line and now he's starting to get rewarded offensively too. Point being, he's been a useful contributor, even when he hasn't scored at the pace he's currently at.

So while we could fear that Bjugstad goes back to his old ways, I don't see how he does that after playing close to a full season like this.

Not at all, Trocheck took that spot from him with his play on the third line the previous season and beat him out in camp the following season. LOL, facts straight.
I'm pretty sure that was the season where Bjugstad had back surgery during the offseason. So yes, technically he wasn't injured during the season, but you know how long it takes players to recover from those things.

Trocheck on the other hand has been relatively healthy. Outside of breaking (or shattering?) his heel two years ago, he's only missed single games here & there.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Bjugstad has been on the top line a few times.

I said he's fine on the top line but I would trade Bjugstad for a top 4 d-man in a second.
And have who on the top line at RW? He played 7 minutes last season with Barkov, it's not like you can extrapolate those two 2 for and 0 goal against for a whole season.

Like whom? You think Bjugstad would bring in a guy like Brodin? or?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
And have who on the top line at RW? He played 7 minutes last season with Barkov, it's not like you can extrapolate those two 2 for and 0 goal against for a whole season.

Like whom? You think Bjugstad would bring in a guy like Brodin? or?
Not sure who exactly but in theory, I would trade him for a top 4 d-man.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Not sure who exactly but in theory, I would trade him for a top 4 d-man.
My plan would be

Bjugstad + Pysyk for Mark Stone (roughly)

Try and sign Kovalchuk and Jack Johnson and call it a summer.

Dadonov Barkov Kovy
Huberdeau Trocheck Stone
McCann Borgstrom Malgin

as your top 9

Yandle Ekblad
Matheson Johnson
Weegar/Mc - Petro

SOLID

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
My plan would be

Dadonov Barkov Kovy
Huberdeau Trocheck Stone
McCann Borgstrom Malgin

as your top 9

Yandle Ekblad
Matheson Johnson
Weegar/Mc - Petro

SOLID

I'm not too sure about Johnson. He will be asking for a lot as well.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
My plan would be

Dadonov Barkov Kovy
Huberdeau Trocheck Stone
McCann Borgstrom Malgin

as your top 9

Yandle Ekblad
Matheson Johnson
Weegar/Mc - Petro

SOLID

That deal for Stone is about as likely to happen as Trocheck for Pacc. At the very least the Sens would throw in Ryan.

Johnson is playing worse than Pysyk this season, so hopefully this is not a move the team makes. Both eye test and every measurable ways at 5v5. Heck, even with Pysyk being bad on the PK, Johnson's worse. I don't see what's the upside of Jack Johnson other than his name and his draft position.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
That deal for Stone is about as likely to happen as Trocheck for Pacc. At the very least the Sens would throw in Ryan.

Johnson is playing worse than Pysyk this season, so hopefully this is not a move the team makes. Both eye test and every measurable ways at 5v5. Heck, even with Pysyk being bad on the PK, Johnson's worse. I don't see what's the upside of Jack Johnson other than his name and his draft position.
Their cap is seemingly tighter than us. Depends on what they sign Karlsson for. Can they afford him? If they can then that would mean Hoffman needs to get moved. IDK, I am not intimately familiar with their budget.

Johnson looked better imo prior to the All-Star break leading up to the deadline.

He did ask for a trade and it didnt happen. Maybe he mailed it in....good for us at least :laugh:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I do, I think the people penciling in those players to any spots doesnt make sense right now. But somehow its heresy that big Nick isnt being thought of as a long term 1st line piece.

But if you guys think that Borg and Tippett will not be brought along to be top six guys eliminating the need for Nick I dont know what to tell you. Its the exact reason they drafted those guys.

To be top 6 scorers.

I am honestly not sure I would keep Nick above Malgin in the top 6.

You can see the difference in how those players process the game.

Nick has had a nice stretch but he does not see the game at an elite enough level to be a long term Barkov linemate.
First, I'd prefer that you don't lump people in with "you guys". I'm speaking just for myself and I don't want "you guys" to somehow have to be lumped into my opinion. Which is all it is, an opinion.

Second, I accept and expect that Borg should make top 6 next year. But there's no guarantee. I don't expect Tippett to make it though. I think Bjugstad is way better than Tippett in almost every aspect.

Third, and I keep repeating this observation (like Soupy seems to do as well), Nick has progressed steadily and definitively to become a better player all around. He's still improving. He's still a work in progress. If he hadn't had that many difficult injuries, I'd have a different opinion. But he did have the injuries. And this year is really the first one where he's recovered enough to see what he can do. So far so good.

I actually wouldn't trade him, unless the return is great. Unless we'd be seen as winning the trade. I expect Nick to be better next year than this year.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
The problem with this thinking (purely looking at numbers) is, that you can't realistically compare Bjugstad from previous years to Bjugstad from this season. Saying "well he's just putting up those points because he's playing with Barkov, any capable NHL forward could do that" is really dissing how he's managed to turn his game around playing without the puck. And that's not a Barkov thing either, he's played like this all year long no matter the line and now he's starting to get rewarded offensively too. Point being, he's been a useful contributor, even when he hasn't scored at the pace he's currently at.

So while we could fear that Bjugstad goes back to his old ways, I don't see how he does that after playing close to a full season like this.

I'm pretty sure that was the season where Bjugstad had back surgery during the offseason. So yes, technically he wasn't injured during the season, but you know how long it takes players to recover from those things.

Trocheck on the other hand has been relatively healthy. Outside of breaking (or shattering?) his heel two years ago, he's only missed single games here & there.

Agreed there are many factors involved in Nick, I thought once upon a time he may have had 30 goal potential. I dont dislike the man, lol.

All of us were giving him credit, and then it was implied as if you had ever had a criticism of him, no one could credit the guy either.

All I am saying is pump the brakes a bit, as our top 9 is gonna be pretty fluid for the next few years. Lets see how it shakes out.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
First, I'd prefer that you don't lump people in with "you guys". I'm speaking just for myself and I don't want "you guys" to somehow have to be lumped into my opinion. Which is all it is, an opinion.

Second, I accept and expect that Borg should make top 6 next year. But there's no guarantee. I don't expect Tippett to make it though. I think Bjugstad is way better than Tippett in almost every aspect.

Third, and I keep repeating this observation (like Soupy seems to do as well), Nick has progressed steadily and definitively to become a better player all around. He's still improving. He's still a work in progress. If he hadn't had that many difficult injuries, I'd have a different opinion. But he did have the injuries. And this year is really the first one where he's recovered enough to see what he can do. So far so good.

I actually wouldn't trade him, unless the return is great. Unless we'd be seen as winning the trade. I expect Nick to be better next year than this year.

I am not saying Borg should be anything next season. Playing in the AHL next season if he needs it would be fine IMO. I just personally think he has the potential to immediately step in. If he cant handle it a Nick would be a great piece as backup, but on the third line he is much less attractive. Tippett I have no expectations for next season, but when he comes it will be into the top 6 IMO.

Nick has progressed just like everyone else on the team. This is another situation like in 15/16 where everyone is having career seasons. This is much more repeatable however as its our long term players all taking steps together.

Can Nick be a piece? I am not 100% convinced, but would love to be proved wrong.

Reactions: RainingRats

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
One of my points is just how the obsession has developed for Nick. Ekblad was ripped way worse than Nick, way worse, I dont see any retrospective threads for him. Some people are in here trying to get an I told you so thread going.

But we also know its very tough around here to give any credit to the D core.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Good point @Chaos2k7. Why does there have to be a 'side' we have to be on. If a guy is playing bad, bag on him. If a guy is doing good, give him props. Or don't.. it doesn't matter.

I was all on Pysyk for being our most consistent D-man last season. This season he's sucking. Can't we change our opinions at any moment in time?

-ghoste
and @Chaos2k7 , I mean there's two ways to see everything- is he or isn't he. This isn't personal here. Nobody's feelings are hurt when people talk about a player they like, and of course everyone absolutely can change opinions based on further thought or evidence. When someone talks about The King, that's different, but as much as I like Nicky and , I don't have 8 of his jerseys LOL

I'm unapologetically one of the bleeding hearts, but never without reason. I mean, shouldn't all of us be when tying ourselves up in this game? There's always a lot to consider from many viewpoints here but at the end of the day there is a truth to all of it. Again, never any offense to anyone truly. Even when we call each other names after a disagreement, that's just nonsense really!

If a guy is playing bad, you should consider why before bagging on him. Again, hurt OR lazy/suck? Big difference. Any time OV scored less than 50...lazy, suck, or hurt? I'm going with the last seeing as how he's still putting up in the 30s and he noticeably doesn't hit as heavily as normal.

Or chemistry is another reason, or lack there of. Who was Pysyk playing with last year? Is he nursing injury, like Nicky has been? Because once a player shows he don't suck, then it's always gotta be another reason when his numbers drop.

March and Smith and Nylander = Chemistry. Right now our top line, which includes Nicky(top liner), is looking pretty damn great because they have....

Ekblad- same rhymin thing. Sure as f*** don't suck!

Also, he IS going back to his old self now that he's starting to come back to form before his next injury (knock on wood). THAT's the entirety of whatever uncomfortability having Nicky on the team may cause me- his injury proneness and risk of cost of a valuable roster spot post-TDL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos2k7

A Swedish Cat

Feb 26, 2018
I don't think he's that good. Not much of an upgrade.

Was watching Hjalmarsson yesterday, he's still got it.
Hjalmarsson is still extremely solid. Could provide some shut down D and be extremely helpful on the PK. Very solid defensive defenceman. Would love to have him as a panther.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He's playing hard. The complete effort is there. His whole career he's been inconsistent with the effort level. Seems Boughner has motivated him.

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
He's playing hard. The complete effort is there. His whole career he's been inconsistent with the effort level. Seems Boughner has motivated him.

I think that's a big part of it. Bjugstad a lot of the time to me looked like a guy who was just content to be there getting a paycheck. What I am seeing right now is that he genuinely looks like he cares and is playing with real intensity, and it makes a big difference. The question is, can he stay healthy AND keep that level of passion on the ice?

Because I am a little skeptical.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think that's a big part of it. Bjugstad a lot of the time to me looked like a guy who was just content to be there getting a paycheck. What I am seeing right now is that he genuinely looks like he cares and is playing with real intensity, and it makes a big difference. The question is, can he stay healthy AND keep that level of passion on the ice?

Because I am a little skeptical.
Why would you not specifically accept that physical health (or setbacks to it) has had a long term effect on him?

I think the injuries and health concerns (back, wrist, concussion, migraines) have been the main reason for Nick's low production.

The main question to me has been, IF Nick can stay healthy, WILL he play better? If not, then it's too bad and not recoverable. If yes, then he can be a key piece again.

I'm thinking it's the latter, and thus I don't want to trade him.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
I live by one motto: buy high, sell low.

When Nick was trash I wanted him gone for an AHL bottom sixer but now that his value is up I'm not sure if I'd trade him for a top 4 defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad